test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Glasses/spectacles

Why no glasses in the game? Kirk wore reading glasses, and it would look badass.
lucky_star_trek_by_primantis-d389ufa.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    I'm all for glasses as well. Heck, monocles, as well.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    There are some you can acquire...

Risa event sunglasses (several varieties)
    Dyson Researcher Uniform
    There is also a set of “sporty” glasses you can get. Don’t remember if they are from a set or not, though.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Ugh... only a kid would think reading glasses are badass. Wait until you are old enough to have to USE them. LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Ugh... only a kid would think reading glasses are badass. Wait until you are old enough to have to USE them. LOL!

LOL, I hear ya where2r1, never had to have em till I was 40.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    > @shinku#4469 said:
    > Why no glasses in the game? Kirk wore reading glasses, and it would look badass.

According to canon (TWoK), the only reason Kirk wore glasses was because he was allergic to Retinax V, the traditional medication given to people with age-related visual impairments. In the rare case of those people with that specific allergy, the alternative was glasses. There was a transporter assistant on the Enterprise in 2254 (Pike's command days) who also wore glasses, presumably for the same reason (TOS: The Cage, The Menagerie pt I, The Menagerie pt II).
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »

"Old enough", hell, I was stuck with them in elementary school. We invented LASIK for a reason, people! Also! A "badass" would know that getting punched in the face with glasses on means getting lenses or broken fragments of lenses smashed into your eyeballs.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    > @starswordc said:
    > where2r1 wrote: »
    >
    > Ugh... only a kid would think reading glasses are badass. Wait until you are old enough to have to USE them. LOL!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Old enough", hell, I was stuck with them in elementary school. We invented LASIK for a reason, people! Also! A "badass" would know that getting punched in the face with glasses on means getting lenses or broken fragments of lenses smashed into your eyeballs.

Not an issue. Lenses today are pretty much exclusively made from polycarbonate (y'know, the stuff that bullet-resistant windows are made of). It's 30x stronger and 6x lighter than glass. Basically, you'd have to worry more about the frames breaking long before the lenses. Your eyes are safe.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    > @starswordc said:
    > where2r1 wrote: »
    >
    > Ugh... only a kid would think reading glasses are badass. Wait until you are old enough to have to USE them. LOL!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Old enough", hell, I was stuck with them in elementary school. We invented LASIK for a reason, people! Also! A "badass" would know that getting punched in the face with glasses on means getting lenses or broken fragments of lenses smashed into your eyeballs.

Not an issue. Lenses today are pretty much exclusively made from polycarbonate (y'know, the stuff that bullet-resistant windows are made of). It's 30x stronger and 6x lighter than glass. Basically, you'd have to worry more about the frames breaking long before the lenses. Your eyes are safe.

getting modern lenses popping out of the frames isn't that odd, also getting the frames hit your face isn't all that nice either. I've once forgot to take of my glasses when went to bed and my face hurt quite badly after woke up and that was just the glasses pressing against my face not getting slammed to it at high speeds.

TL:DR regardless what material the lenses are made of you should remove your glasses if you're planning on doing activities with a high risk of getting hit in the face.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

getting modern lenses popping out of the frames isn't that odd, also getting the frames hit your face isn't all that nice either. I've once forgot to take of my glasses when went to bed and my face hurt quite badly after woke up and that was just the glasses pressing against my face not getting slammed to it at high speeds.

TL:DR regardless what material the lenses are made of you should remove your glasses if you're planning on doing activities with a high risk of getting hit in the face.

Also polycarbonate isn't that helpful. Regular glasses won't protect you from fast-moving objects; safety glasses have to be a lot stronger and be somewhat wraparound (folks who wear even prescription safety glasses at my day job have to add side-shields if they don't protect from side impacts). Trust me on this--I got hit in the face a couple years ago when I had a saws-all blade snap off while I was cutting metal strut. It was a good thing I had my goggles on.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    thick black rimmed glasses for your Captain Buddy Holly... add a 50s zoot suit too
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    I never had to have em till I was 40.​​

Lucky you. I've been wearing glasses since junior high. And they just keep getting thicker as my eyes keep getting worse! :'(