test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Targeting Issue (PS4)

Ok so this is a pretty simple issue, been playing STO for awhile on PC and started playing on Consoles after launch after the teething issues and what I would assume to be script just not quite working as it was made to anymore (Standing up while you should be sitting in a cinematic kind of thing) I recently noticed another issue that effects gameplay a it more.

My latest character is a Healer, and I have quickly found trying to play a healer on Consoles was a nightmare for rather simple reason, the auto targeting, I know on PC there are options to set up targeting in ways that are just not avalable on console.

My Issue is me and a friend are in Battle, He needs healing, I target him and in the seconds it takes to select the skill... I am no longer targeting my friend, heal myself, and my friend goes boom.

Any way to either stop this that I am missing, or a change to the game that when you L3 target something, you stay locked onto that thing untill you click L3 again.

Comments

• somethingjasondosomethingjasondo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a similar problem, actually. On the PS4, It's very difficult to target incoming large projectiles, where on the PC, it was very simple. Move mouse, click, fire. PS4, you're autofiring until your target is dead, and I can't seem to disable the autofire, so I can't shoot the larger projectiles. Best bet is fire at will.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    littica wrote: »
    Ok so this is a pretty simple issue, been playing STO for awhile on PC and started playing on Consoles after launch after the teething issues and what I would assume to be script just not quite working as it was made to anymore (Standing up while you should be sitting in a cinematic kind of thing) I recently noticed another issue that effects gameplay a it more.

My latest character is a Healer, and I have quickly found trying to play a healer on Consoles was a nightmare for rather simple reason, the auto targeting, I know on PC there are options to set up targeting in ways that are just not avalable on console.

My Issue is me and a friend are in Battle, He needs healing, I target him and in the seconds it takes to select the skill... I am no longer targeting my friend, heal myself, and my friend goes boom.

Any way to either stop this that I am missing, or a change to the game that when you L3 target something, you stay locked onto that thing untill you click L3 again.

i've been playing on an Xb1 recently, i understand the concern, you have have very few powers you can manually trigger but the rest of them are in the power tray wheel, and it means spending time opening the wheel, selecting the power you want. it isn't just on the ground but in space as well, so you have to automatically set the powers so they trigger at certain durations. i find i have to juggle between ST1 and HE1 frequently because if i set ST1 to auto, triggers are the wrong time and there aren't enough options for the right circumstances and i would imagine it is the same on the ground between captain powers and kit powers.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    I think they did the best they could with the controller interface, but click powers on console are an absolute nightmare. I try to have all but one on every wheel set to auto under certain circumstances ("whenever possible" is my favorite, but oddly missing on most powers, with many powers not even having an auto option). Opening the wheel and trying to find where the power moved to when you weren't looking means you usually missed the best opportunity to use the power. I don't have a solution, but there is definitely a problem.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    A lot of the controls on console come across like they were done at a rush by someone that's never gamed on a controller who did just enough to get it working but not working well.
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    Consolers are pretty much herded into mostly passive power builds (I don't even use the swarm missile on my D'Kora because that's another long-recharge clicky that won't auto-fire; I took RCS instead), and just forget about being a targeted healer. I mean, seriously, just forget about it.