test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Collecting ideas: How to make ship interiors more relevant in the game

Comments

• r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    A 24 hour buff for chillin in your office for five minutes. +Crt Chance and +acc for example (eg. focused).
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    That's right. People will want to have ship interiors, and will be willing to pay for actually useful ones.

You won the internet. Can't agree more. but the first thing to consider when revamping ship interiors is how will it affect people using it for roleplay? will it improve or lessen the quality of that? becuase right now thats all its used for and it should still be able to be used for that no matter what they do with it.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    edited February 2018
    r0m#7631 wrote: »
    A 24 hour buff for chillin in your office for five minutes. +Crt Chance and +acc for example (eg. focused).

Something like that: A "shipboard project" to unlock a switch that gives you a small boon for an hour or so, but is only activateable from the bridge, the ready room, main engineering, etc.

It could be a DoFF assignment. Maybe 6-12 hours on a success and 12-24 hours on a critical.

We need more devs who think about making the game like JFK thought about the space race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nWfT2UDkIg

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    No idea if this has been said yet, but oh well, I've been advocating for this feature for years now.

Each universal console, when obtained, unlocks a physical manifestation in the form of a modular ship interior vanity item that can be placed on certain nodes in your ship, depending on the console. For instance, the Plasmonic Leech(I imagine it looks like a techno-lava lamp of sorts) can plug into a station on the bridge or engineering room.
  • r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »

Each universal console, when obtained, unlocks a physical manifestation in the form of a modular ship interior vanity item that can be placed on certain nodes in your ship, depending on the console. For instance, the Plasmonic Leech(I imagine it looks like a techno-lava lamp of sorts) can plug into a station on the bridge or engineering room.

This. Great idea mate.
    PVP poker in the lounge.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    That's right. People will want to have ship interiors, and will be willing to pay for actually useful ones.
    Which is why we get things like the canon Galaxy interior.

Shipboard action fails because of the numbers. It's not for lack of interest. There are simply too many interiors and too many of them are too small for anything but shooting fish in a barrel. It would take enormous amount of work to build all those maps into a useful state.

And that's before actually building the missions that would take place in them.

Sure, they could give us a generic interior and have shipboard missions in that...but then that would be no different than beaming in to any other generic ship. The people who paid 2k Zen for that canon Galaxy interior probably wouldn't be too happy to switch to a generic (even if they could fit it with a Galaxy wallpaper and props) just to be able to do things.

I do believe a customizable generic interior as player housing could still be profitable, though.
    valoreah wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    Which is why we get things like the canon Galaxy interior.

Well no, we got the Galaxy interior because it was created for a featured episode.
    Lots of ships appear in episodes, very few of those end up as playable interiors.
    Lots of ships appear in episodes, very few of those end up as playable interiors.

Of course. That doesn't change the fact that the Galaxy interior was made for a FE and subsequently released into the C-Store.
    Maybe. Or maybe it was made because they figured people would pay 2k Zen for it and subsequently used for an episode because why not it's there alraedy. I doubt Cryptic is going to explain their decision-making process in that regard.

But indisputable fact is many other ship interiors were made for episodes and never released for playable ships. For example, I might like the Annorax interior from Ragnarok, but stuck I am in the one-room bridge.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Of course. That doesn't change the fact that the Galaxy interior was made for a FE and subsequently released into the C-Store.
    Maybe. Or maybe it was made because they figured people would pay 2k Zen for it and subsequently used for an episode because why not it's there alraedy. I doubt Cryptic is going to explain their decision-making process in that regard.

But indisputable fact is many other ship interiors were made for episodes and never released for playable ships. For example, I might like the Annorax interior from Ragnarok, but stuck I am in the one-room bridge.
    Or how Hakeev has a full borg Romulan interior, and we don't.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Stripper pole with a Gorn in hot pink G-String. They have to have the rubber suit look to.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    It's all explained in the F.C.T.
    Bridges/Interiors take far longer to make than ships. As such, if there is sufficient reason to make a full ship interior (such as the newish Romulan Ship interior, being used all over LoR) we'll make one. If there isn't, we won't. Making a custom bridge, let alone a full interior for the Corvette (while cool) would be a significant investment of time/resources. So, we could have skimped on Risa more, and built an interior, or done what was done, and skipped the interior which would have served little purpose anyway, and went with beefing up Risa.

Building custom bridges takes longer than a couple of days. Something like the Suliban/Andorian/Tholian Bridges, were each 5 days of Environment work from me. Then it needs design time to hook up any interactables, doors, etc.

Doing a full interior is significantly longer (i.e. 3 weeks to a month)
    No, it really isn't. Because the subject wasn't creating new interiors, but rather the way interiors that already exist in missions are sometimes sold to be player available and other times not.
  • gjohnny1990gjohnny1990 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Just remove interiors entirely, their current state is not only woefully outdated, they all feel very fake and not part of your ship due to most of them having massive station-like corridors and when you leave, you... beam out of your own bridge....

I'm a big fan of walking inside ships and stuff but STO's method of doing it has always been really bad.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    Well, the topic is about how to make them relevant again, so removing them would actually make them irrelevant.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Not to remove all of them. But drastically reducing their number, so that there isn't such a massive number of maps to work on, would probably be a prerequisite to doing anything major with them.
    @warpangel That's why I proposed doing something like Fleet Starbases for ship interiors.
    GrWzQke.png
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    I agree with Rizin. I think a good idea would be to treat ship interiors somewhat like Fleet Holdings; start off with a basic interior and bridge and then run projects for upgrades and add-ons. A good example, though it's already in the game as two separate bridges, is the 2371 and 2410 Voyager interiors;
    It would start with the 'basic' 2371 bridge, then you'd have projects like...
    Project; Create Astrometrics Lab
    Project: convert replimat to mess hall
    Project: Add regeneration chambers to cargo bay for Liberated Borg crewmembers
    And when they're all finished, you'd have a 2410-style bridge. Different projects could also add different passive buffs to a character; Engineering projects could add more Transwarp destinations, faster slipstream or transwarp cooldown, higher hull or shield regeneration rate, for example...You could even have asthetic projects like unlocking a band playing in your ship's lounge or special display items for the ship's 'trophy' slots... (I know I'd much rather have bookshelves or paintings instead of 'little ships' hanging on my walls).

It could even be combined with a frequent Art request with projects to replace the Odyssey crew with a WoK, TNG, or TOS-skinned crew... I know plenty of people who've asked for that one...

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
    @turbomagnus Yeah, I did a pretty extensive post on page one with regards to the idea that I had.
    GrWzQke.png
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    Interiors of ships are unique to all players, in their minds, but instead we get long lines of generic crew walking and turning around walking some more. There is no way to make interiors unique.. I remember DEV notes years ago that explained this and why thy hallways were very tall and out of wack......

I personally avoid interiors because every time I go in there it makes me irratated that this whole area is TRIBBLE and unused properly/

On the other hand if interiors could be personalized I would love to see interior things....Many other games like SWG and Eq2 and such have interiors you can customize....make your own.....I remember cities built in SWG that were built and had 100's if not more players with each having a home......

Just a captain quarters that you can personalize....and the interior hallways.....maybe not paint them bright pink but slight variations like we see on exteriors....

If we have BORG gear maybe power conduits and energy lines snaking through hallways with an eerie green flow......maybe some freed borg wandering thew halls.....an alcove for them to regenerate.......awards walls.......artifacts......etc etc.

Even the fleet SB's are weak. IMO they are the optimal place to allow players to personalize their own space.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    I'd say you go back to them after each mission between going to sector space (with relevance) but people would take issue with how much that would slow the game down because of the loading screens and what not.
This discussion has been closed.