What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Option to slot for previous Winter Wonderland ship projects

2»

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    That's right. If you keep the ship slotted, you can finish it out the next year and have another toon run for the new ship.
    Interesting. That means, the exclusivity doesn't stop players who may want to "skip this event and get the ship next year" after all. They just have to log in one of these days to slot the project and they're good to go.

The only effect of the exclusivity really is then, that new players are excluded.

Really effective incentive there, Cryptic. :disappointed:

The idea of exclusivity has always been about being there at the time of the event, though. If you are around to slot the project, then you are at least there for that much of it. But honestly, how long can anyone realistically kick that can down the road before they actually have to either finish the project or cancel it entirely?
    Yes, but just because some idea has always been there, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Never good for business to shun new customers.

Were I to design an event, I'd be more interested in serving the new players who actually want to play with a chance to earn rewards that already exist (and therefore don't require any additional work or expense to create), than futilely trying to coax players who don't care enough to play 5 minutes a day to "kick that can down the road."

In my opinion, Cryptic is far too focused on people who don't want to play the game. It's making the game less attractive for those who would want to play it.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    So would I. But I agree with BMR, it ain't gonna happen. So won't stress over it either. Just collect phoenix boxes on the acct that missed them all since I just created it. That way I'll at least try to get her the ones she wants. Most specifically the Nandi.

Just my opinion, but since getting the Nandi from a Phoenix box, I hate it. It's obvious whomever designed it flipped a existing skin, made a few cosmetic changes and went, ta-da, Ferengi T6. It looks like it's flying backwards.

That's what I love about different people. We all have differing opinions and that's just fine.

For the record, I actually really like the Nandi as a ship and not just because of the access to bank/mail/exchange/dabo.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Well then you should talk to every other MMO game company in the world. Not that you will influence any change of any kind.
    Why? What do I care of their mistakes? STO I would actually want to see improved.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Industry standards are not mistakes. If you expect STO to abandon tried & true industry standards you'll have to change the industry, good luck with that.
    Appeal to Tradition is not an argument.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I've been doing much more of the LOTRO Yule Fest than I have been doing STOs. I earn the Tokens and I can purchase all the Horse Mounts, Costumes, and Steed Capraisons from all years from the past. The Tokens are good every year and if I have enough saved up from the past, I can purchase the new Mount right away.

The Tokens are earned through the course of about 10 small Daily Quests. About three days of those Quests and you have enough Tokens, if you had none to begin with, to purchase one of the new Mounts.

They are not account unlocks, however, but then again you don't have to do 25 days to get the the Prize ship.

As far as tradition is concerned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7V2lxFWBqfI
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    That's right. If you keep the ship slotted, you can finish it out the next year and have another toon run for the new ship.
    Interesting. That means, the exclusivity doesn't stop players who may want to "skip this event and get the ship next year" after all. They just have to log in one of these days to slot the project and they're good to go.

The only effect of the exclusivity really is then, that new players are excluded.

Really effective incentive there, Cryptic. :disappointed:

The idea of exclusivity has always been about being there at the time of the event, though. If you are around to slot the project, then you are at least there for that much of it. But honestly, how long can anyone realistically kick that can down the road before they actually have to either finish the project or cancel it entirely?
    Yes, but just because some idea has always been there, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Never good for business to shun new customers.

Were I to design an event, I'd be more interested in serving the new players who actually want to play with a chance to earn rewards that already exist (and therefore don't require any additional work or expense to create), than futilely trying to coax players who don't care enough to play 5 minutes a day to "kick that can down the road."

In my opinion, Cryptic is far too focused on people who don't want to play the game. It's making the game less attractive for those who would want to play it.

I never agreed with the exclusivity idea. I just understand why they decided to do it.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    ltminns wrote: »
    I've been doing much more of the LOTRO Yule Fest than I have been doing STOs. I earn the Tokens and I can purchase all the Horse Mounts, Costumes, and Steed Capraisons from all years from the past. The Tokens are good every year and if I have enough saved up from the past, I can purchase the new Mount right away.

The Tokens are earned through the course of about 10 small Daily Quests. About three days of those Quests and you have enough Tokens, if you had none to begin with, to purchase one of the new Mounts.

They are not account unlocks, however, but then again you don't have to do 25 days to get the the Prize ship.
    In other words, exactly how the Wonderland worked pre-2014?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yeah, so this new way is not much of a 'tradition' now, is it? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Yeah, so this new way is not much of a 'tradition' now, is it? ;)
    Or "industry standard." :)