test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

AFK during the winterevent.

So I just did a Winter invasion. and i don't have a weapon from the shop yet so I'm using snowballs. and apparently because i don't have a weapon i wasn't getting enough hits every time i went after a mob it was dead. so i ended up getting a 2hr penalty. I was running and attacking as fast I can.. even hit the yeti and the boss but got afk penalty.. the system might need to be adjusted a little bit. its not fun when you get afked when you were doing your best.

Comments

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    The AFK penalty is actually rather lenient, all you need to do to avoid it is to do at least 1% of the total damage. I have actually rushing into doing Winter Invasion with a few of my characters where I forgot to get my weapon from the character bank inventory so I simply had to throw snowballs while everyone else was using a weapon. I also created two new characters (in March & end of November)w ho had to throw snowballs while others were using weapons. I have never gotten an AFK penalty because of it.

The best way to get the Winter Currencies so that you can purchase a weapon that absolutely does not involve the need to kill anything in the Winter Wonderland are Winter related Doff missions. When you are in the Winter Wonderland simply click the icon to bring up Doff missions. From there click Current Map to see the missions; there are usually between 3 to 5 of them. There are additional Winter Doff missions that can be found on your Homeworld and Academy maps; they are mixed in with the other missions when you click Current Map in the Doff mission window. Even though my most recent character with only 100 Doff slots was able to earn enough Winter Currencies to buy a weapon on the 2nd day of the event.

There is a Pie Eating Contest in the Gingerbread Village. Speak to the Breen to begin and eat as many pies as you can. The mission typically rewards you with 4 (or is it 5??) random currencies. This mission can be repeated every 15 minutes. The Breen stands across from Neelix.

Neelix offers another way to get Winter Currencies without firing a shot. But you either need to buy recipes from the Exchange or collect them from the Winter Invasion (an optional objective). Speak with him with a recipe in your inventory and he will tell you to search for the ingredients in the Winter Map. Some ingredients need to be replicated. Yet other ingredients need to be found as random drops from outside the Winter Wonderland, or simply buy them from the Exchange (which will be pretty expensive this time of the year).

Worse case scenario... Buy enough Winter Currencies from the Exchange to purchase a weapon; you basically need 8 of each currency, except Sleigh Bells and Gratitude Beads which you need 5 of each. The currencies to search for are as follows:

- Vulcan Mediation Incense
    - Bajoran Gratitude Beads
    - Bolian Candles
    - Targ Fur Earmuffs
    - Andorian Sleigh Bells
    - Terran Holiday Ornament
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,482 Community Moderator
    Sorry to hear that, OP. But you only get an AFK if you fail to do 1% of the total damage during the queued event. Unfortunately, you're never going to hit that if you're just throwing snowballs while everyone else on your team has weapons. Fortunately, the AFK penality won't prevent you from taking part in the open missions in Q's Winter Wonderland, so you can still earn winter trinkets doing those, as well as DOFFing missions, and save up to buy weapons with which to run the Winter Invasion queue again. Good luck!
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Sorry to hear that, OP. But you only get an AFK if you fail to do 1% of the total damage during the queued event. Unfortunately, you're never going to hit that if you're just throwing snowballs while everyone else on your team has weapons. Fortunately, the AFK penality won't prevent you from taking part in the open missions in Q's Winter Wonderland, so you can still earn winter trinkets doing those, as well as DOFFing missions, and save up to buy weapons with which to run the Winter Invasion queue again. Good luck!

I never experienced an afk ban myself. Still... This is when that sort of stuff starts impacting something as trivial as the Winter Wonderland queue that you truly realize how much of an epic fail this afk penalty system is... <.<
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

I tried it yesterday with just snowballs, and I got my reward and no afk penalty. No traits or gear that would help me move faster or give me regen to resist being frozen. I definitely didn't use my Winter Trbble, either, though it's possible a teammate did. It's definitely doable with snowballs, even on a team where everyone else has weapons. Just keep up and really make sure to hit the big targets. The snowmen can basically be ignored, since they don't make up very much of the total health of all enemies on the map.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.