test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More Discovery items

2»

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    The fundamental different between cyborgs and androids is that cyborgs were natural organic beings first, and then got mechanical additions. Andorids are simply robots with "human" level thinking and emotional capability. Be they purely machine, or artificially biological.

T-800 Terminators are considered cyborgs. Fairly sure they are created on an assembly line and were never "natural" beings first.

Aren't their teeth real though? :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    "Robot" is a creature or device that is entirely artificial, capable of carrying out preprogrammed directives or of programming its own (we haven't reached that level of technology in reality - yet). Technically, if it still requires remote direction (such as a modern bomb-disposal "robot") it should be referred to as a "waldo" (a term taken from an old Heinlein story, in which the protagonist had a rare disease that prevented him from living in a gravity field, so instead he built devices to permit him to work on Earth from his space-station habitat).

"Android" indicates a creature, whether "natural" or constructed, that has a humanoid (primarily male - female would be "gynoid") body plan. This can apply to living beings (Vulcans, for instance, are android in appearance), cyborgs such as the Borg or the beings in DBZ, or robots such as Data and Lore.

"Cyborg" is an abbreviation for "cybernetic organism", whether the fleshy bits are "natural" or lab-grown. They need not be human in origin (DARPA is experimenting with cybernetic controls and sensor suites for flies and cockroaches, making them insect cyborgs), nor do they need to be humanoid in appearance even if the original tissue is human (the Fallout game series features "robobrains", cyborgs with a nonhumanoid robotic body directed by a disembodied human brain), nor is it necessary that the metal be added later (the skinjobs in nBSG, for instance, are cyborgs, with cybernetics and organics integrated at the cellular level, but they started their existence as self-aware robots).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    or the beings in DBZ
    Actually, most of the "androids" in DBZ, 17, 18, 19, 20, are actually cyborgs, humans who were given mechanical upgrades, and the author has stated such. The label of android was a translation concession because it sounded cooler for the American audience.

The only actual androids are 16, who is himself a full machine, and Cell, the artificial bio-roid.
    Had you read the entire sentence, Som, you would have seen that I was stating that "android" is a description of appearance, not nature; that cyborgs can be android; and that the beings mentioned were android cyborgs - that is to say, cyborgs that have a humanoid body plan.

Really, reading the entirety of a post renders a lot of arguments unnecessary.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Since the universal translator can seemingly adjust a persons speech to enable them to speak to civilizations they've only just encountered, I'd argue that most FTL-capable species are cyborgs in some way.

Anyway, Discovery items...

Kelpien ability to sense death as a trait - giving you a higher bonus defense rating as you health gets lower than 20%.

VR helmet - Gives your crew a greater awareness of their environment, increasing crit chance by +2% and adding +10 acc and +10 bonus defense. Has to be equipped to an active tactical Boff.

Captain Georgiou's Telescope - Cooldown reduction on transwarp, +60 perception

Discovery Party Amplifier (ground device) - Upon dying return to where you activated the party amplifier.

Ripper (ground pet) - Usually docile and buffs team with +30 willpower. If attacked (by NPC or another player) it will go on a rampage.

Lorca's Tribble
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Oh by the way, the novel Best Destiny, which tells the story of 16 year old James Kirk, includes cybernetic replacement limbs. Written by Shatner.

Prosthetic limbs @re one thing this is @nother. Sure there were "robotic bodies" being m@de in Return to tomorrow but th@t w@s t le@st 15 ye@rs l@ter then TRIBBLE @nd not by Feder@tion memeber.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    > @ssbn655 said:
    > Hmmm let's point out some few things. Cyborgs nope not TOS Timeline. The only thing even close The Sensor Dress in "There is no Truth in Be@uty". Hum@nnoid Robots hmmm only two both @lien constructs Mudds Women plus the ones th@t replic@ted Ch@pells lover. So is TRIBBLE TOS timeline NO it is however more KT timeline.

No it isn't, the franchise owners, who are the only people whose word matters on thr subject, have said its Prime so its Prime, no matter what anyone else wants to say.

WIsh folks would re@lize CBS is doing the s@me @s Disney is with SW. Sl@p the n@me on something nd f@ns won't c@re they @re ignor@nt fools who c@n not tell Lobster from processed fish protien dyed to look like Lobster.
  • gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    > @ssbn655 said:
    > Hmmm let's point out some few things. Cyborgs nope not TOS Timeline. The only thing even close The Sensor Dress in "There is no Truth in Be@uty". Hum@nnoid Robots hmmm only two both @lien constructs Mudds Women plus the ones th@t replic@ted Ch@pells lover. So is TRIBBLE TOS timeline NO it is however more KT timeline.

No it isn't, the franchise owners, who are the only people whose word matters on thr subject, have said its Prime so its Prime, no matter what anyone else wants to say.

WIsh folks would re@lize CBS is doing the s@me @s Disney is with SW. Sl@p the n@me on something nd f@ns won't c@re they @re ignor@nt fools who c@n not tell Lobster from processed fish protien dyed to look like Lobster.

You are correct...Orville is closer to Trek.

As for "Prime" Timeline...I dont care what the supposed "Creators" said, anyone with half a brain can tell this isnt the "Prime" timeline...Hell, it doesnt even rate as "Kelvin" garbage...but at least its closer to JJTrek...

• camclcamcl Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Looks like most of the great stuff has already been shown. Definitely would love more DISCO stuff in-game tho. The Targeting Helmet is a good one, as is some possible DSC ship designs.

Wonder if they're going to model a Discovery interior at some point. It is a new hero ship, and those are pretty few and far between as far as premium interiors go.
  • orthodoxaorthodoxa Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I hate discovery but I would love to see them add that suit Mudd was wearing, that was really funny. :p

I've been loving the show and I desperately wish that they would add the Andorian EV suit that Mudd was wearing to the game.
    262y26w.jpg

34ru9dw.jpg
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    > @ssbn655 said:

You are correct...Orville is closer to Trek.

As for "Prime" Timeline...I dont care what the supposed "Creators" said, anyone with half a brain can tell this isnt the "Prime" timeline...Hell, it doesnt even rate as "Kelvin" garbage...but at least its closer to JJTrek...
    Regeneration of limbs (so that losing, say, a leg is an inconvenience rather than a disaster) is "closer to Trek" than prosthetics?

As for "android":

android
    /ˈændrɔɪd/
    noun
    1. (in science fiction) a robot resembling a human being
    adjective
    2. resembling a human being
    Word Origin
    C18: from Late Greek androeidēs manlike; see andro-, -oid

(I've probably been reading SF since before you were born. I know the words, man.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    You can get a nice rifle/pistol, armour, shield and kit set (4pc). There shuttle, a shiels, engine, warp core n deflector set for ships. Mudds clothes. Theres loads of goodies in lorcss lab lol
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    In the book, that Daft Punk head was a helmet.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    T-800 Terminators are considered cyborgs. Fairly sure they are created on an assembly line and were never "natural" beings first.
    And the "Androids" from the Cell Saga of Dragon Ball Z are actually cyborgs, and have been admitted as such by the author of the manga, yet they still use the name android because it sounds cooler. Many sci-fi author don't care about getting it right, so they use the terms interchangeably even though they are not. Being called something =/= being that thing.

I expected an better argument then something so easily, but now I don't know why I expected anything at all.
    In the original Japanese, the word "jinzoningen" was used. Which is most accurately translated into English as "artificial person".

There's really only 2 requirements that must both be fulfilled.

1: the being must be artificially created in some way... there are several options here.

2: the being must look and/or act like a person.

Cell is a genetically modified clone.

13, 17(Lapis), 18(Lazuli), 20(Dr. Gero), Kochin, and Wheelo were all originally humans who were given cybernetic enhancements. In the cases of Gero, Kochin and Wheelo, it seems that most of their bodies were replaced. In Wheelo's case he had been badly injured and was dying then Kochin turned him into a cyborg to save him. Kochin himself was quite old by the time he's seen as a cyborg so he may have replaced his body due to old age.

Major Metallitron, 8, 14, 15, 16, and 19 were completely mechanical, but had personalities and looked and acted much like people.

Then you have Freiza when he had cybernetic limbs, and the Bio-warriors.... Ok I'll stop it's a long list.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg