Install Arc
Options

Discovery 1x05: Choose Your Pain

2»

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I enjoyed it
    At the rate they're going in TRIBBLE, I would not be surprised to see this ship as the new Constitution class. :smiley:

Image12Fb.jpg
    Honestly... I always thought that design looked better.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I did not enjoy it
    mhall85 wrote: »
    I never said that the Connie doesn't, or wouldn't, look good on screen, @smokebailey. The sleek & symmetrical design is what makes the Connie truly iconic. Part of me would argue that the purest version of the Connie would be the Probert refit from The Motion Picture, but I still dig the '66 model.

Unfortunately, Discovery has chosen a different design language. It is not like Rogue One, in that sense. I'm not saying you have to LIKE it or not... it's just a fact: Discovery is not going for the same nostalgia as Rogue One.

Now, with that said, I think the producers will be FAR more respectful to the Connie... because again, I don't think they're THAT stupid to do otherwise. If you look at Discovery's Phaser or Communicator, I think you'll find the spirit in which they would "refresh" the Connie.

I'm not holding my breathe.
    So far, Discovery, apart from a few pieces of equipment (even the pistols fired bolts, I think, not beams), makes me think they got few TRIBBLE chimps as the higher ups.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I did not enjoy it
    mhall85 wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »
    Maybe it is time to consider Discovery as a sequel to Enterprise and not a prequel to TOS. A TOS prequel should have the ships
    and uniforms visually upgraded to match what is possible in 2017, but also have any fan recognize the ship or costume. The Kelvin Universe Constitution could have been used in a TOS prequel instead of in Star Trek 2009 and everyone would recognize it as an updated version of the Enterprise. However, there is no similarity between the TOS D7 and Discovery D7. If Discovery named their Klingons as some other alien race, then it would have worked much better.

With the way things currently are they could introduce the Enterprise as a Borg Cube and wearing Stormtrooper armor and I wouldn't be surprised.

Hyperbole aside, your point is taken.

The D7 was the most egregious and avoidable kind of mistake. I won't defend them for it, and they could have done a number of things to avoid fan consternation. Added to the struggles with the makeup and the subtitles... they probably should have picked their battles, in terms of revamping.

All of that said, I don't think they'd treat the Connie the same way. I don't think they're THAT stupid, LOL. As I tried to explain to another poster (but that poster seemed to think I was shouting them down, instead of engaging in conversation, so whatever)... they have some wiggle room to work with the Connie, but not THAT much. The Connie is iconic. The producers know that, or at least, they lead you to believe they do. We won't see the 1965 "Cage" model, so those fans will just have to get over that. Nothing that the producers have said or done have led me to believe we would see that, anyway, and I don't think the 1965 model would fit in with the design language they've established. A refined 1966 model, though? That isn't unreasonable.

Still, if they do decide to ape the Connie... the backlash will be deafening.

I still think the TOS Connie will look good on screen

gCPPuS8.jpg

sgQID0L.jpg

SXlDLzr.jpg

A sleek, smooth, hull is the prime example of advanced.

Also....Rogue One, which happens literally days before A New Hope, retained that classic, retro look....be it the TIE fighters, the Storm Troopers, Tantive IV and its interiors, The Death Star, and the Imperial Ship interiors.....that, to me, says one can be retro.

At the rate they're going in TRIBBLE, I would not be surprised to see this ship as the new Constitution class. :smiley:

Image12Fb.jpg

Seeing how they butt $%&*^# the D7, I would not be surprised.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I did not enjoy it

Image12Fb.jpg

That thing looked hideous in battle beyond the stars and space raiders.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I enjoyed it
    I didn't say it looked GOOD :p Just better. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I did not enjoy it
    patrickngo wrote: »

Image12Fb.jpg

I don't think y ou need to worry about that, they're not trying to destroy 40 years of development on Starfleet side. Maybe 10, or 12,but not forty as they're doing on the Klingon end. remember, the Federation are the "Good guys" and therefore, will be boldly protected from having more than a few minor changes applied to make them even less relatable, cool, or interesting.

They've done a TRIBBLE poor job, even at that, so far.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I did not enjoy it

Image12Fb.jpg

I don't think y ou need to worry about that, they're not trying to destroy 40 years of development on Starfleet side. Maybe 10, or 12,but not forty as they're doing on the Klingon end. remember, the Federation are the "Good guys" and therefore, will be boldly protected from having more than a few minor changes applied to make them even less relatable, cool, or interesting.

They've done a **** poor job, even at that, so far.

that all depends who you're trying to relate to.

The uniforms and tactical gear give the nod to a format CBS is more comfortable with-the Cop Show. Blue uniforms with shiny metal badges, 'tactical vest' looking tactical vests (that also don't stop knives, just like the ones REAL cops wear), and of course the metastructure "Renegade Cop" writing with the usual token stock characters ("The Yelling Lootenant", "The Rookie", the "Jaded Veteran", the "oppressive Bureaucrat", Burnham as "The Renegade Cop with a Heart of pure Gold" etc.)

It's all relatable to the audience they're after, you're just not a part of that audience. Since it's not deconstructing a 'non-hero", they're a little more careful about keeping some elements the same. The shape of Phasers and Communicators, for example, or the 'Starfleet Symbol" on the badges.

likewise, they'll retain a 'mostly recognizable" Constitution class-because they're not trying to retcon what the showrunners see as a minor element that was done 'wrong' by someone else before most of them were out of grade-school, and there's not a lot they can loot from the rejected pile since they already used the Phase 2 Enterprise from the seventies, as well as the original (rejected) concepts for Klingons.

since Gene never criticzed the Connie-class, it'll be untouched. there's a little matter of not having an excuse here.

StarTrek's not a cop show.

And until we see one on screen, I'm gonna have this uneasy feeling their are going to butcher the Constitution class as well.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I enjoyed it
    not what I meant, Bailey. I'm saying they're running cop-show tropes

to the point of digging up every minutiae in the last forty years to argue about why you, and I, are utterly wrong and maybe evil and stupid for not liking it
    1: what tropes have they used that have NOT been used in Star Trek before?

2: when discussing whether something deviates from what has come before, you need to actually pay attention to the subject matter being discussed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Image12Fb.jpg

It might lack Scotty's beloved "ample nacelles", but it still has nice booby traps.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    It doesn't matter who the designer is. It's up to the producer to approve and disapprove designs.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Also the designs change absolutely nothing about the story and narrative of the show. No matter how things would look the characters and storythreads would still be the exact same.

Also... as I see Trekyards being posted so often I propose another perspective on the matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSLIOyt6s6I
  • Options
    I did not enjoy it
    khan5000 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who the designer is. It's up to the producer to approve and disapprove designs.

So far, the producer seems to be the typical exec type....a bean counter who thinks he has talent.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I enjoyed it
    MKF's work... looks too much like a plastic toy, IMO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Other (please post to explain)
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'm hoping for something along these lines myself

my_starship_enterprise_by_gabekoerner.jpg

That would be perfect, I agree.
    I really like Madkoifish's/Dan Uyeno's TOS designs (that is what that ship is).

It is this ship here (reviewed by TrekYards, they were in love with it, very happy in this video):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMb8wamzQG4

If the TRIBBLE design team had hired Dan Uyeno as their chief development artist, this show would have an aesthetic that rivals anything done in Star Trek previously. The guy has a Star Trek vibe that I'm really impressed with. He knows how to combine Matt Jefferey's designs, with Tobis Richter's (JJ-Abrams trek) designs, and modernize it to his own style which is just incredible. I love his USS Discovery design, it looks like a 21st Century version of the TOS. I hate that they used the 1970s version of Ralph McQuarrie's design (he's a great artist mind you, but his style is now the Star Wars style, not Star Trek since he created nearly every major ship in Star Wars).

This would have been a great design for the Shenzhou instead of the Akira-Class looking thing they gave us.
    This ship (the Lethe, which he named in 2014), is a ship that is between ENT and TOS:

lethe-te-057.jpg?w=2000&h=

Another ship design he did that would have worked well for the Shenzhou, would have been this post-ENT ship/Pre-TOS take on the NX-class.

nx-13-da.jpg

Dan's work has been around since the early 2000s, so there is no excuse for the TRIBBLE team not to have used him (or someone like him) to make a fantastic aesthetic that was modern and true to both the Abrams films and TOS.
    They really dropped the ball on TRIBBLE....very aggravating.

Why not just do what they did for Enterprise with the NX? Pick a ship, flip the model over, and make some tweaks to it. Maybe something like an upside down Miranda this time around. :P
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Oh, I'm sure those guys will get quite a mouthful from the viewers even if I am not there.

Put in #PutSomeActualTOSinThis!

As I said, if they say we're gonna get Constitutions in the future.....I'm gonna need to brace myself with a few stiff whiskeys for that, for it's probably gonna look nothing like the TOS Constitution. :/

Oh I'm with you on the Connie. I've no doubt if they do show one, it will be different. I'm kind of torn though because I think that ship in particular is iconic and should be left as it was, however I also don't think I'd go insane if they tweaked it a bit.

I mean, Rogue One was literally days before A New Hope, and a lot of the "DISCO!" elements were kept, and looked fine. Trek can do it, too. One does not need to pull a "Bait and Switch!" game to make something.

That thing we saw the other day was NOT a D7, folks....not even CLOSE.

Yes it was, because the people the hold the licence made their idea of a Klingon ship and called it a D7. If you want ToS, go watch ToS.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava