test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Federation Campaign - The Doomsday Device - KDF BOP problem

sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
So I have been playing, "The Doomsday Device" mission and well its really painful. The B'rel gear is all MK II and almost all white (there is 1 epic torp). The drones are painful to take on. I know that they can redo the ships to be way better (for missions) like the Enterprise -C or the carrier from sphere of infl.

I am at level 34 now and even though i got more KDF and romulans toon, I hate flying this B'rel. It feels so weak and lacks the coolest of the other ships you get in missions and gives the wrong impression.

th_brel_zpsnycmcirl.png
1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    So I have been playing, "The Doomsday Device" mission and well its really painful. The B'rel gear is all MK II and almost all white (there is 1 epic torp). The drones are painful to take on. I know that they can redo the ships to be way better (for missions) like the Enterprise -C or the carrier from sphere of infl.

I am at level 34 now and even though i got more KDF and romulans toon, I hate flying this B'rel. It feels so weak and lacks the coolest of the other ships you get in missions and gives the wrong impression.

th_brel_zpsnycmcirl.png

it can be a lil tricky, but I have done the quest without blowing up.

and the Targ just happens to be a rust bucket, I guess. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    You are Level 34??? And you are still using the BOP you got when you first started???

Every 10 levels they give you a free ship token.... upgrade your ship....go get it at the ship yard.
    That ship will have more weapons slots, more HP, more shields...etc.

ALSO... upgrade your gear. Level 30 characters can use Mark 7-8...which gives you more oomph in everything. Watch your loot drops and slot the best you find. :)

NOTE: don't waste your in game currency with gear purchases, "crafting" upgrades, yet.
    Leveling up is so fast, you are in and out and looking for the next level/"Mark" gear, anyways.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Playable_starship
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Player_rank
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mark

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    @where2r1 In the mission Doomsday Device you don't fly your own ship. You are stuck with the BoP the mission "gives" you, player level has nothing to do with it, whether level 10 or level 60, you will be flying the BoP provided by the mission. Being a loaner ship, you can not change weapons, gear etc, you might be able to assign your own BoFFs but I'm not sure about that, it's been a while.

For the OP, that mission is just a hair more difficult than some others, but still quite doable, especially in normal mode. Making the mission ship any more powerful than it already is would take the mission from normal mode, actually requiring some effort, down to child's play mode, (mash space bar, circle around till mission over, collect reward).
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
    edited October 2017
    arionisa wrote: »
    @where2r1 In the mission Doomsday Device you don't fly your own ship. You are stuck with the BoP the mission "gives" you, player level has nothing to do with it, whether level 10 or level 60, you will be flying the BoP provided by the mission. Being a loaner ship, you can not change weapons, gear etc, you might be able to assign your own BoFFs but I'm not sure about that, it's been a while.

For the OP, that mission is just a hair more difficult than some others, but still quite doable, especially in normal mode. Making the mission ship any more powerful than it already is would take the mission from normal mode, actually requiring some effort, down to child's play mode, (mash space bar, circle around till mission over, collect reward).

Oh sorry. My bad. :)
    Too funny, I was sitting there thinking "that looks like the BOP I got my level 9 Lethean in".

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    OH... BTW.... hint on the BOP : Raider Flanking.
    Hit those enemy ships from behind...on rear arcs.
    That should make short shrift of them.

Except the Doomsday thing....send the Hargh down the thoat while it ain't blasting ya. LOL!

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    arionisa wrote: »

The BoP needs to upgrade to the later tiers when you do it at higher levels. At level 10-20, the range that it was designed for, the current one is fine, so it should be 1 tier back for whatever tier that you are as a player, possibly capping at Tier 4. As it stands, this mission goes from just like any episode on Normal if you do it in its original range to instant death in the final battle if any of the Klingon ships even notices you on Normal at level 60, and that can't be the intent. If they don't want to change the ship every tier, then they should make the mission set you and the opponents to level 20, keeping the balance that it has at its original level, or make the BoP behave more like a small craft, so that its hull scales, and give it some Mk Infinity equipment.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    edited October 2017
    anodynes wrote: »
    The BoP needs to upgrade to the later tiers when you do it at higher levels. At level 10-20, the range that it was designed for, the current one is fine, so it should be 1 tier back for whatever tier that you are as a player, possibly capping at Tier 4. As it stands, this mission goes from just like any episode on Normal if you do it in its original range to instant death in the final battle if any of the Klingon ships even notices you on Normal at level 60, and that can't be the intent. If they don't want to change the ship every tier, then they should make the mission set you and the opponents to level 20, keeping the balance that it has at its original level, or make the BoP behave more like a small craft, so that its hull scales, and give it some Mk Infinity equipment.

I went and looked at the episode info in the Wiki...it just says it is a Level 17+ mission.
    Not sure how it is supposed to work if you are Level 34 when you play it.

But that little ship he showed a picture of in the original post...
    I was able to confirm it is the same B'rel on my Lethean (level 9)
    By comparing the number of slots.

BUT my ship has less hull and shields...so some sort of scaling is going on.
    KDF Starter ship... Hull: 12,725 / Shield: 2,563
    OP's photo ship.....Hull: 28,599 / Shield: 4,021

Only problem I can see is: his ship is stocked with Mark 2 whites by some sort of default.
    That may be the issue???? I don't know.

Haven't there been problems with scaling when playing with "other ships" on mission replays done with higher level characters? You would think the "enemies" would scale down to the equipment they set up for the mission.

• sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    where2r1 wrote: »

I went and looked at the episode info in the Wiki...it just says it is a Level 17+ mission.
    Not sure how it is supposed to work if you are Level 34 when you play it.

But that little ship he showed a picture of in the original post...
    I was able to confirm it is the same B'rel on my Lethean (level 9)
    By comparing the number of slots.

BUT my ship has less hull and shields...so some sort of scaling is going on.
    KDF Starter ship... Hull: 12,725 / Shield: 2,563
    OP's photo ship.....Hull: 28,599 / Shield: 4,021

Only problem I can see is: his ship is stocked with Mark 2 whites by some sort of default.
    That may be the issue???? I don't know.

Haven't there been problems with scaling when playing with "other ships" on mission replays done with higher level characters? You would think the "enemies" would scale down to the equipment they set up for the mission.

I have been playing the missions in order and have not done doff or anything else just the missions rewards in order. The main problem is that you limited on the gear and the skills you can use. Compare that to a few missions later where you get the enterprise -C which is a level 50 ship with XII gear and set skills, which are helpful (for the most part).

the whole mission as it stands is painful and outdated when it doesnt need to be. (Also gives KDF ships a bad name as for most this is the first one they fly, and how they think ALL KDF ships are!)
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
    edited October 2017
    It sounds like a bug to me is all I am saying.
    There may be a mismatch between gear level and the enemy level.
    Not enough information in the OP to make a definitive assessment.
    Do with that info what you will.

• turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Yeah, this one is never fun. (Try it on even higher levels, you'll end up tearing out so much hair you'll look like Picard...) The only advice I can offer is that you can actually equip your BOffs to the BoP, so do so with healing powers and possibly Tactical: "Cannon: Scatter Volley" and/or Science "Tachyon Beam" BOff abilities to hit more of the drones and bring down shields better. This is one mission where Captain Powers (especially "Miraculous Repairs" or "Photonic Fleet" or even "Fleet Support") are actually an asset...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...