test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Phoenix Boxes don't have everything.

After a few Phoenix Box events have rolled around, I've noticed that there's a lot of stuff missing from the Phoenix Box. Between event items, like the Tholian Radiation Projector and Furiadon Fangs; retail exclusives, such as the Engineering Radiometric Converter, EMH Console, and TR-116A; and a long list of other "minor" exclusive items, I have to wonder why they haven't or cannot be added to the boxes.

I don't really see how these could hurt anything, as it's impossible to get any of these items anyway, and the Phoenix is supposed to have old items, including reputation events and collector's edition bonuses.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Maybe they want to keep certain items rare.
    Like the TR116a was received for buying the Collectors Edition STO on release (or preorder..not sure which it was)..

Mini event items like the furiadon fangs maybe don't get added because they may actually want you to "want" to log in for those mini events... *Shrug*
    I dunno though... just hazarding a guess here as to why some items are missing.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Cryptic never stated Phoenix Prize Packs will have all of the old rewards.

Cryptic recently updated the available prizes to keep the packs "fresh". Slowly adding things to it over time will keep players interested in the packs and use more Dil over time.
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    > @taylor1701d said:
    > Maybe they want to keep certain items rare.
    > Like the TR116a was received for buying the Collectors Edition STO on release (or preorder..not sure which it was)..
    >
    > Mini event items like the furiadon fangs maybe don't get added because they may actually want you to "want" to log in for those mini events... *Shrug*
    > I dunno though... just hazarding a guess here as to why some items are missing.

The Red Matter Capacitor was also a Collector's Edition item, and it got added as well. As for 'mini-events,' it would make more sense for them to change the rewards to account unlock, so people might actually enjoy running the events *Coughcough Sompek coughcough*
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    Not much of an incentive for grinding out an event if three months later Cryptic immediately add it to the phoenix box, so things like the Fang which are only a few months old I wouldn't expect to see in the box yet. And I can see how retail exclusives may have legal issues to be dealt with - not that that is the reason they aren't in the phoenix but still...

Give it more time and we may yet see more items added to the phoenix. In fact I expect more items to be added and maybe even a removal of some of the existing items in a kind of rotation between what's offered.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    fftt wrote: »
    Not much of an incentive for grinding out an event if three months later Cryptic immediately add it to the phoenix box, so things like the Fang which are only a few months old I wouldn't expect to see in the box yet. And I can see how retail exclusives may have legal issues to be dealt with - not that that is the reason they aren't in the phoenix but still...

Give it more time and we may yet see more items added to the phoenix. In fact I expect more items to be added and maybe even a removal of some of the existing items in a kind of rotation between what's offered.

i can see this as well, lots of hard to get or exclusive items are now more freely available than they have ever been in STO.

The RMC is very useful to get and the shotgun as well. there is also this agony rifle. Doff's in the rare section if anyone missed them as well. it's a nice way of catching your other PC's up.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Most of the stuff you mentioned is fairly new (Fangs and Tholian Projector), and you forgot the ISS Stadi for that. They will get added eventually. The TR-116A they won't do because we now have the B and the A could shoot through walls.

Some of the other stuff, I'm not sure. Maybe obsolete due to the way the game has changed. They could make some of this older stuff (like the Automated Defense Turret) upgradable.

The Chromodynamic Armor from the Steam Digital Deluxe Edition is also missing. That was Mk II and did not scale, but maybe for visuals, and/or allow Upgrade.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Most of the stuff you mentioned is fairly new (Fangs and Tholian Projector), and you forgot the ISS Stadi for that. They will get added eventually. The TR-116A they won't do because we now have the B and the A could shoot through walls.

Some of the other stuff, I'm not sure. Maybe obsolete due to the way the game has changed. They could make some of this older stuff (like the Automated Defense Turret) upgradable.

The Chromodynamic Armor from the Steam Digital Deluxe Edition is also missing. That was Mk II and did not scale, but maybe for visuals, and/or allow Upgrade.

I can't imagine those you mentioned would remain in that condition, not even the TR-116A. Even the old Miranda T1 cruiser has gotten an upgrade. I could see upgradability to those items that have been neglected, i'm wondering what your thoughts are regarding the TR-116A.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

Yeah, I would say rewards that are at least 18 months old can be added to the Phoenix Prize Pack and not all of them at once.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I thought I remembered something said a couple of years ago that they weren't going to allow the TR-116A to be upgraded. The issue was with its ability to not require a line-of-sight to hit a target. PVPers complained about it at the time. Not sure if Cryptic tweaked it at all.

Regardless, tweak if needed, and allow Upgrades. Make pre-order stuff available through Phoenix, and allow Upgrades. And include in-game reward special items that cannot be upgraded to be Upgradable (Nelin Exil's Pistol, for example).

It's nice to have some variations to the bland meta.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I thought I remembered something said a couple of years ago that they weren't going to allow the TR-116A to be upgraded. The issue was with its ability to not require a line-of-sight to hit a target. PVPers complained about it at the time. Not sure if Cryptic tweaked it at all.

Regardless, tweak if needed, and allow Upgrades. Make pre-order stuff available through Phoenix, and allow Upgrades. And include in-game reward special items that cannot be upgraded to be Upgradable (Nelin Exil's Pistol, for example).

It's nice to have some variations to the bland meta.

oh for sure. if cryptic can get in there and do something with those old items, give them updated stats, it would be nice to make them useful rather than just throwing them away or just storing them.