test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Isolytic Plasma and Kelvin Phaser Procs

After testing out the Isolytic Plasma and Kelvin Phaser Emitters in space, I started to think that the radius and strength of the push/pull effects isn't strong enough to make up for the lack of a real buff or debuff proc, like a plasma DoT or disruptor breach, which can actively increase your damage dealt in a fight.

The Isolytic weapons do have a small plasma hit when procced, which is vaguely equivalent to a tenth of a regular plasma hit. Granted, it can hit multiple targets, but to hit 10 targets simultaneously, within such a microscopic area is a feat to be considered impossible by normal battle standards.

I believe that, to fix this problem, the damage should be increased to anywhere from a fifth to a third of a regular plasma damage proc, and the pull should either be stronger, or be a longer duration effect. Otherwise, the proc chance could simply be increased to a much higher degree as to actually manage to keep ships together. I know it shouldn't force everyone in the galaxy to hug and kiss, but something noticable would be nice.

In that same vein, the Kelvin Phasers have an even worse effect on all fronts. It spreads enemy ships apart, preventing any AoE's being used to their full extent. It hits ships within a 1km radius of the target, only pushing them back .02km, which won't be enough to even separate out any ships that somehow happen to be that stupidly close together. And lastly, and quite possibly the most damning: It doesn't even work.

Moving past the literal inability to work, the proc could use some drastic improvements. For one, it needs to have some kind of effect stronger than a gentle hold of the hand and a quiet nudge akin to a soft summer breeze. I need to see my opponent flung halfway across the quadrant and frozen in place for an hour to make up for a total lack of any damage or utility it currently has. The effect needs to be able to hit more than 1km away from the target. The only things you may hit from that distance are fighters, which are so maneuverable that they'll be back in place in seconds, as if they wouldn't be knocked CLOSER to the thing they're trying to shoot in the first place.

The Kelvin phasers need some kind of damage to go along with the explosion that pushes enemies away, or else it stays one of the most useless energy types of all.
....or you could at least make it's current proc actually work in the first place.

As a more wishful idea, I wouldn't mind the effects pushing and pulling the target relative to the player firing, as opposed to only affecting ships near the original target. That would drastically improve usefulness for both weapons, allowing for a great way to control the battlefield, at the cost of direct damage.

In any case, thanks for reading, and hey, consider putting your thoughts below. I'd like to see what others have to say to this.

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,638 Arc User
    Kelvin Phasers were supposed to have a disable proc, not push things around. From the PC announcement of the lockbox:"Kelvin Phasers have a chance to briefly disable the targeted foe, and all other foes within a small radius around the primary target."

I wonder if there's bug in the item text or if the proc was changed at some point that I missed, since STOwiki also is saying what you're saying. From memory, they were orginially bugged and just did standard Phaser procs, no idea why they'd add a push component when they fixed it, though.
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    The closest thing to an actual disable on the weapons is just a 3 second hold effect, as it states in the tooltip (I'll have to screenshot it sometime), which applies to all ships in the previously mentioned microscopic firing arc.

Or it would, if they worked properly...