test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A quick question.

This might be another one in the line of "newbie asks a stupid question because he doesn't know better" but is it possible to alter a publish project (that's not a spotlight) in the editor without depublishing the project until it's republished? I'm asking as I'm planning a rather major rewrite (the story would essentially remain the same but I'm removing redundant maps and making the player be more in the focus) to project I have published and I want to know if the earlier version will remain published while I work on the update?

Best Answers

• starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    spiritborn wrote: »
    ....I want to know if the earlier version will remain published while I work on the update?

Yup, the earlier version should remain published while you make changes in the editor.

You could leave in an unfinished task (ex. a blank dialogue window) if you want to make absolutely sure that your reworked mission isn't prematurely published. I like to do this sometimes. :)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    spiritborn wrote: »
    This might be another one in the line of "newbie asks a stupid question because he doesn't know better" but is it possible to alter a publish project (that's not a spotlight) in the editor without depublishing the project until it's republished? I'm asking as I'm planning a rather major rewrite (the story would essentially remain the same but I'm removing redundant maps and making the player be more in the focus) to project I have published and I want to know if the earlier version will remain published while I work on the update?

Indeed it will. No change you make to a publish mission is pushed out to the live game until you hit that publish button again. That said, during an auto-republish (such as following Foundry downtime) STO might reference your current project file (not sure myself, but it's a significant possibility regardless.) That's when (as Theta described) you throw in an uncompleted task to be absolutely sure (around downtime) that your WIP mission isn't going to jump the gun.

But, normally you don't have to worry. Work away and when ready hit the publish button to send out all your changes. Payers will still be able to play the last published mission in the interim.

BTW, there are no stupid questions. Categorically, seeking out information when you know you don't have it on hand is an intelligent decision. :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

Answers

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    well removing a 2 maps and totally reworking a third is a rather major change and probably something that I could get done in 1 day so it's nice to know I can work on those changes while players can try the earlier version (I can't say if they'll enjoy it but I hope so).