test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon Warbird ???

goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
Not sure where this came from, but would love to see this be released in game. It's the modernization of the D7/K'tinga all Klingon fans want!

klingon_warbird_ortho_by_unusualsuspex-d6xpoxw.jpg

klingon-bridge.jpg

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    The Klingon "warbird" is no modernization, it is the Kelvin Timeline's version of the D7. Or it even predates the D7 in the prime timeline according to ENT (*angry frothing*) The Koro'tinga is the more modern version of the hull, chronologically. Further, it is one of the most supid mistakes in Trek history: A recognized mistake made in the ENT scripts since nobody proofread or remembered that Romulans have Warbirds. I can't believe it made it into the series and thus became canon.
    The use of the term "Warbird" in relation to the Klingons, as used in "Broken Bow", was a writer's error. Soon after the episode's production, Brannon Braga stated, "We made one mistake where in the pilot we called the Klingons' ships Warbirds, when in fact the Romulans use Warbirds and Klingons use the Bird-of-Prey. There was nothing we could do about it, and I'm sure we're going to get a lot of angry fans. But it was an honest mistake."
    ​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The Klingon "warbird" is no modernization, it is the Kelvin Timeline's version of the D7. Or it even predates the D7 in the prime timeline according to ENT (*angry frothing*) The Koro'tinga is the more modern version of the hull, chronologically. Further, it is one of the most supid mistakes in Trek history: A recognized mistake made in the ENT scripts since nobody proofread or remembered that Romulans have Warbirds. I can't believe it made it into the series and thus became canon.
    The use of the term "Warbird" in relation to the Klingons, as used in "Broken Bow", was a writer's error. Soon after the episode's production, Brannon Braga stated, "We made one mistake where in the pilot we called the Klingons' ships Warbirds, when in fact the Romulans use Warbirds and Klingons use the Bird-of-Prey. There was nothing we could do about it, and I'm sure we're going to get a lot of angry fans. But it was an honest mistake."
    ​​

Would still like to see this ship in-game. The Koro'tinga looks like a throwback, this ship looks more modern.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    goodscotch wrote: »
    ​​

Would still like to see this ship in-game. The Koro'tinga looks like a throwback, this ship looks more modern.

I think Cryptic only got a license to the second movie 'Into Darkness', and these would've been in the 2009 movie.

Edit: These don't quite match up to the D7s shown in the Kobayashi Maru scene with Kirk, unless I just couldn't make the cannons and more open/glowy warp nacelles through the lens flares. I wonder if these were supposed to be the ones used to intercept the Narada and imprison Nero, but that didn't make the final cut of the film and only show up in the comics.
    Post edited by tom61sto on
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    ​​

JJ was not paying attention again.

Anyhow, these look sorta like the D-6's from Axxanr, to me, anyhow. o.O
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User

Anyhow, these look sorta like the D-6's from Axxanr, to me, anyhow. o.O

That's because Axanar shamelessly ripped off the design from the 2009 movie (the ships were filmed engaging the Narada, but the scene was cut). And the producers wonder why they got the hammer dropped...

That said, what Axanar did sensibly do was class the design as the D6; neatly slotting it between its cousins, the ENT-era D4 and the TOS-Era D7. It makes sense to me that the D6 would have been the line Klingon battlecruiser at time of Kirk's birth, before the Connie / D7 came online.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The Warbird would have been far better than the D4x we got. It's also probably not the same ship as the warbird from ENT as warbird is a ship type, and like the ship type Bird of Prey is not exclusive to the Klingons or the Romulans.

The Warbirds form the Kobiosh Maru scene are probably the same as the ones from the deleted scene with the latter being unfinished renders. They don't match up with the first picture because that's a fan made model as the only 'official' CGI renders released have been the Enterprise from 09 and the Kelvin as far as I'm aware.

The warbird in ENT has no number (including D4) and would make more sense as a D6 anyway as it's nothing like the D5 from ENT. Though there are tiny similarities with the ENT warbird, the Koro'tinga is a new 2409/2410 ship. From the oval shaped head to the longer neck and more angled wings. In the end the only similarity are the 'wires' along the neck.

It's difficult to tell if the 09 warbird predates the Kelvin Timeline or not. The Kobioshi Maru clearly does as it's a ~30 year old Kelvin era design and those era ships are still in use by the time of the simulation (Mayflower, Newton etc.) And judging by the stimulator bridge being a mod of the Kelvin bridge it send likely they're on a Armstrong or such like class of ship. So on balance of probabilities to keep the spirit of the test I suspect the warbird is a brand new model (thus a KT exclusive) pitched against an aged freighter and an equally aged cruiser.

If we get a second go at a KT lockbox with maybe the Kelvin herself and a Lobi Yorktown Class (the A) I think we'll see the warbird as the Klingon option.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • aleluya#3402 aleluya Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Not sure where this came from, but would love to see this be released in game. It's the modernization of the D7/K'tinga all Klingon fans want!

That's the same ship that Kang was using when the Praxis incident occurred.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=GEDCsF3kYcY
    tlhIngan maH! taHjaj!
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User

Sorry, Aleluya, but did you actually get a good look at Kang's ship in the video you posted? It was a regular K'Tinga, with a smooth neck, not the ribbed-necked "Tempus" "warbird" of the picture GoodScotch posted.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »

Sorry, Aleluya, but did you actually get a good look at Kang's ship in the video you posted? It was a regular K'Tinga, with a smooth neck, not the ribbed-necked "Tempus" "warbird" of the picture GoodScotch posted.
    the neck of K'Tinga/D7 is also narrower (and possibly longer) relative to the ship then the ship that was posted in the OP

No, Kang's battlecruiser was definitely a K'tinga class.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• aleluya#3402 aleluya Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2017

I'm sorry goodscotch, my knowledge of the ships is very limited when it comes to the shows. I put more attention to the message that each character brings than the chariots they ride.
    tlhIngan maH! taHjaj!

I'm sorry goodscotch, my knowledge of the ships is very limited when it comes to the shows. I put more attention to the message that each character brings than the chariots they ride.

I hear ya. K'tinga...great ship.
    klingon-bridge.jpg