test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reformation In Game Mechanics to Make STO Content More Enjoyable

ghobepongghobepong Member Posts: 136 Arc User
Okay, so I took it upon myself to finally get back involved in STO. And while YES there are a lot of bugs needing to be worked out there were a few things an old gaming vet like myself saw that could be implemented into STO that could create a new feel and also vibe to Star Trek Online. Keep in mind these are just suggestions or "concept ideas"

You have been warned: >:P

Combat:

Part of the thing that makes Star Trek of course being Star Trek is not just the idea of exploration, problem solving, and finally working together as a team but combat itself. Everything from Space Combat to Ground well it makes the game more fun taking on all your favorite and maybe deplorable foes you just wish to see disintegrated off the existence of STO itself. With that being said we cannot deny that Combat makes up a fun part of Star Trek Online.

So with that being said here are my suggestions for combat in Star Trek Online:

Space Combat:

Flotillas:

Since "Delta Rising" as it goes with toons, our character now can have the opportunity and become a lvl 60 ranked Fleet Admiral. Because of this it also means we can unlock Specialization Skills and finally run Admiralty Missions very much like Doff Missions. But yet there is one thing that is still mission from all the shenanigans when it comes to being a Fleet Admiral.

Where the bloody hell are the ships we can command as a fleet in game?

I mean sure yeah it's great I can do Admiralty Missions like a bland interested cat in a boring stuffed mouse toy. If it doesn't have anything to entice the senses? Bloody forget it!

That's where Flotillas come in! Here your Bridge Officer is given command of a ship you have in your Shipyard. In turn; this ship based on how you build it would support you in it's group role. What or how I leave that up to Cryptic, Arc, and Perfectworld to hammer out but with that being said the point is customizing ships in builds, having them operate together maybe perhaps in the similar role to Away Team Missions would create a very new unique and epic feel to the game.

In essence it is boldly going where STO has never gone before. Having a toon command a small fleet or flotilla into combat.

Rather this might enhance it or maybe complicate it is one thing, or perhaps only be exclusive to specific missions and episodes is another the thing is we're Fleet Admirals now? Give us our NPC Flotillas or small fleets to command Perfectworld. LOLZ!

Ship Game Mechanic Behavior:

This is another one that I feel is a BIG one that Perfectworld never even tried to tackle because their too chicken to since Legacy of Romulus. I'm talking about of course how ships move in combat. Right now sure it plays out like the old "Star Trek: Starfleet Command", or ""Star Trek: Armada".
Basically ships just flat flying across a surface, they can go up, down, and turn but that's it. We never get to see any barrel rolls or any famous maneuvers that the ships are capable of other than how they move like fish swimming in an aquarium.

Really Perfectworld that's just sad, really sad.

Players have talked about this going on since 2010 or 2012 and still it was never considered by Perfectworld in the first place. Yes, there might be a lot of complex algorithms in both programming, coding to work out as well as relative behavior to the graphics. But come on what about some abilities in movement to make the Space Combat more extensive and unique. Players have been asking and demanding and well after seven years, if STO wants to survive? It's adapt or evolve Perfectworld. Resistance is Futile! XD

Ground Combat:

Customized Weapon Modulations:

Okay so I am really going out of my way in suggesting this. Yet now onto it; we know that in today's military many weapons have special modifications that can be made multinational in regards to ground combat. Why not have this on the ground weapons as well for toons for ground combat. Why not maybe an automatic rifle for say with a built in secondary Pulsewave, or perhaps a Grenade Launcher? Perhaps a sniper rifle in game with a built in secondary High Density Beam for back up, or maybe a Split Beam When you start thinking about Ground Combat in this manner? The possibilities are endless, maybe a Klingon Grenade Launcher with a Pulsewave feature and blade on the end of it for melee combat as well.

The point is gaming should always reflect the times, just as TV Shows do the same too. Besides the same ground combat game mechanics after seven years do tend to become well lets say, boring! Making the game less interesting and also capable of losing it's community of consumers that might invest in other forms of gaming elsewhere!

I'll probably have more later to suggest either to this topic or another but right now this is what I could think of.

Peace! >:P