test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A new Dev forum

luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
Ok, everyone has their bright ideas but every idea that comes in would be autometically discarded due to IP rights.
here is how ideas could become an in game reality.
Rules:
1. Every idea submitted to the forum, the member would have to *forfeit their IP rights to the idea.
2. *If impemented into the game then a reward of in-game currency (Zen) would be awarded.
3. Ideas must be canon to the Star Trek/STO universe.
4. The forum would be wiped every 24 hours - In case of spoilers.
5. A story would be essential on to how to incorperate this into the game - get creative.
6. It's an ideas/productive page, no bitching on where is my T6 BS and what's wrong with this.
7. No Dooom!

The writing is great in the game and I just want a place for the writers and designers to get some inspiration that they can use, I dare say that there things we write that they would love to use but can't.

Let's see what happens.

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User
    luddimus wrote: »
    Ok, everyone has their bright ideas but every idea that comes in would be autometically discarded due to IP rights.

But this isn't an issue. Any suggestion, such as for a Dominion faction with a particular story line, is fair game for Cryptic to use. Forum posts, in themselves, aren't copyrighted material. They are part of public discourse.

The reason forum suggestions aren't immediately implemented in STO is not because of rights issues. It's down to the realities of game design. Not every suggestion can or should be used to make an immediate change in the game. This includes story content. Cryptic is building missions months in advanced and planning story lines years out. Its a long, intensive process. Suggestions have to filter they way through that process and, by the time they do, the product may not resemble any one suggestion posed for the arc or episode. It may be a collection of ideas from devs and the community, taken over a long period of time.

So, while made with good intentions your proposed forum isn't very workable in practice. Just post feedback as you would normally and trust the normal process of discourse to carry the good ideas through to the game. If that's not sufficient, then you can always take your story ideas to the Foundry and build the missions yourself. It can be a very rewarding process and it side-steps the complications of working through official content development.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    By law, ideas cannot be patented as intellectual property.