test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

T6 Flagship Bundle dilemma

I was about to purchase the massive 9 ship T6 Flagship Bundle, 12K Zen, for all 3 factions. I had my mouse-pointer hovering above the "Buy" button when I hesitated feeling I needed to do more research before purchasing.

I learned I should probably wait till their is another ship sale then contemplate buying. I gotta be frugal with my Zen after all!

Also, what I learned, if i read correctly, & what puzzles me is that UNLESS you were able to participate in the 6th STO anniversary event & earned that Krenim Science Vessel a player will NEVER be able to complete the 4 piece console set along with the set's 3rd ability perk.

Again, if I read it correctly, but that seems like a big potential negative to me. I read where I think 1 or 2 other console sets are like that too with the mixing Zen bought ships with event ships.

I participated in that Phoenix event & enjoyed it, but I do not consider that a viable option for "too late" labeled players since with that there is no guarantee & that unlock is per character not account.

Has Cryptic discussed or gave feedback on this situation in the past? Or did I even comprehend the scenario correctly? I can understand wanting some limited-time or special unique features for certain occasions, or is that Phoenix event the best chance, a gamble, some of us have?

Thanks for any input &/or if I miss understood after scanning & reading about it.

Comments

• Options
    lordprotiuslordprotius Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Phoenix is now the only way to aquire it, but its not as bad as it seems. Although it does require a bit of luck its better than opening lockboxes.
    #Aux2batman Lives!!

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yeah, waiting for a sale is a good idea. Not one I always follow, but I am dumb that way.

The Flagship technologies set is nice, but it's not required to make competitive flagship builds. There are plenty of good options for consoles in this game, and I think people get a bit too worried about their special ship consoles. On

The Phoenix Box is Cryptic's feedback to the situation of new players being locked out of access to these ships. Before that, there was no way at all to get these ships if you didn't get them the first time around.

Obviously the exclusivity of the Event rewards exists intentionally and not by some accident. It cements the importance of these events and probably exists to help player retention by requiring players to log in often (sometimes daily), so they keep engaged with the game.

At least you can't lose with the Phoenix Box. Even the worst possible result still gives you the option to get a Dilithium free upgrade kit that's sparing you Dilithium equal to the cost of the box.

Sure, the Phoenix Box doesn't grant you an account unlock, but how many of your characters do you really expect to be build around the Krenim ship or the Flagship bundle? And if it's really several or all of them, chances are that you don't just want the Krenim ship (or whatever other exclusive ship you want), you will also need high end gear, so the Phoenix Upgrades won't be superflous.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Chance of getting a ship from phoenix is not great, its a fine way to get lower value items like the cockran shotgun or red matter capacitor, but a colossal dil sink if going for a ship for more than one toon. IMO no set extra bonus is worth the dil expense, the reality is once you have a lot of ships, good gear and an ever changing meta the 4th piece of a set bonus will be of minimal value.

I'd wait for a ship sale unless you want your new ships in time for the April 25th re-balancing. If this year's sales are similar to previous year's it will be in about 7weeks +/-. 29 zen a day * 49 days * no of characters = an expanded budget

Perhaps they'll have a new bundle to offer by then.
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Thank you all for the insights. I currently have 10 characters, 7 actively playing a bit here & there, 3 that will be played eventually, & I bought 4 character slots for in the future with the recent sale. I go more for themed or character builds than for being tops or best dps since I do not PvP. I still need to complete all the storyline missions so definitely still learning!

I enjoyed that Phoenix event, & while it zapped a lot of my dilithium savings I did get lucky enough with Very Rare on down to earn enough Red Matter Capacitors for all my current characters, then the other things too. No such luck upon the Ultra Rare or Epic. That is an event I see as a positive, but something I wouldn't participate it every time given it's odds.

Matter of fact having that exposure to Cryptic's gambling odds taught me not to event attempt those Lock Boxes unless with free keys like with the Delta Rising or Legacy of Romulas packs. I did get lucky there with a T5 & a T6 & all else was garbage.

Thank you again for the valuable insights. I probably will pass on that bundle even when it's on sale now that I have learned of it's "constriction anchor" to another ship/console. Sorry I couldn't pass that up since I just learned about that console too recently LOL. Possibly the best thing I have bought was that Temporal 3 ship bundle pack since it can cover everything. I will enjoy & stick with it then.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    The set isn't worth the console slots. Use your console slot more wisely then for some stupid set bonus. A set of 4 clickes better give you some damn nice bonus to make you slot them.

Sadly, most of the console sets from ships aren't 'worth the space'. You'd think if you devote 4 slots to them you'd get something great. I wish they'd sell "combo consoles" for the older under-powered sets. Kinda like the EV suit thing they did, where you had to use the 3 other suits to get the one suit that had all the bonuses. I'd love to have my Oddy's pet, workbees and chevron separation available on one console. Hell, I'd even give up the set bonuses just to have the primary abilities on one console. :/

nommo#5819 wrote: »
    Possibly the best thing I have bought was that Temporal 3 ship bundle pack since it can cover everything. I will enjoy & stick with it then.

While I'm not psyched with their ascetics they are a pretty good set of ships all factions can use. Probably the best value out there. And their consoles aren't too bad either.

I only buy when things are on sale. Zen sale + ship sale = ~40% off. Those discounts do stack nicely.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    The set isn't worth the console slots. Use your console slot more wisely then for some stupid set bonus. A set of 4 clickes better give you some damn nice bonus to make you slot them.

True for most sets. I still like to put the sets on the respective ships, just to make them play differently from being "just another cruiser" (or whatever applies) with a slightly different boff layout and stats.
    postinggum wrote: »
    Chance of getting a ship from phoenix is not great, its a fine way to get lower value items like the cockran shotgun or red matter capacitor, but a colossal dil sink if going for a ship for more than one toon.

Boxes (lock, R&D, phoenix) are generally things you should only open in one of two cases:

(1) You are able to ride the rollercoaster of lucky and unlucky streaks, opening enough, so you will still get a slight edge on average even if you're in the lower 5% of luck.

(2) You are happy with the base reward (lobi, mats, upgrades). The Phoenix box is a great deal if you want upgrades. If you're lucky, you can get a ship or whatever. Already with a comparatively "small" budget you can grab up all stuff in the lower three categories. If you reallyreallyreally wanna zigazig (yeah, I'm that old) a ship, they're a terrible deal.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    While the Krenim console itself is nice for a sci partgen bild, the four piece flagship bonus is really not worth - it simply improves the 3pc individual clickies marginally, it hardly is a game changer. While I currently have all the ships I ever wanted and try to grind dil for my fleet, I sometimes to wonder wether I should get the Soujourner as it looks nice.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Pretend the 4 piece bonus isn't there... because for you it isn't.