test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fed Sci Captains: What would you buy with Lobi?

So I have over 1,000 Lobi burning a hole in my pocket. Any must-have items?

My Sci Captain currently flies the Krenim Science Vessel. I'm tempted by the Paradox Temporal Dreadnought, even if not for the ship itself but for the Unstable Anomalies mastery skill to give my GW3 some extra punch. Thoughts?
screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png

Comments

• Options
    bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    that sphere builder science ship looks pretty good.
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I love the paradox dread. However could it be easier for you to buy it with ec?

Other items of interest could be stuff you can only get with lobi. Boolean cannon, herald staff/armor and the new space suit come to mind.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    Wait for the T6 Tal Shiar Adapted Cruiser, at least to see if it's good.

Or if you're a gold member, copy the character several times on Tribble, spend your lobi on every ship you're interested in, test them all and see which one you like better.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Na'kuhl Daemosh Science Vessel.
    In my opinion the best sci vessel in the game. Full science boff abilities, Lt. Cmdr tac seat, intel boff abilities, built in battlecloak, looks epic, turns well, nice trait (if you like tractor beams).
    I've never regretted buying that ship. I've done better in it than any other ship in the game.

Paradox has a nifty trait as well, and the Edoulg is pretty powerful as a science vessel with nice temporal powers although it looks a bit too bizarre for most people.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    I would do what peterconnorfirst mentioned i.e. buy lobi only things with the lobi and use EC for the others. But, you might want to think about whether you should buy certain types of things right now given the looming balance changes (nerfs) on the way.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Pretty much every console in the lobi store is best-in-slot levels of effective. It's mostly a question of 'does the rest of the set that goes with it tickle your fancy?'

Check out the Sphere Builder space equipment 3-piece set (200 lobi each). Read it carefully, because the torpedo's "alternate firing mode" is BRUTAL. The final set bonus is mighty. And being already purple rarity it's easier to upgrade than the others.

Ships you can buy off the exchange. Space gear is LOBI ONLY.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    300M EC is a little rich for me.

Good point about the upcoming rebalance - I was thinking of that myself.

Thanks all for the advice, lots to research and think about.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    300M EC is a little rich for me.
    How the heck did you get the 1000 lobi then? lol

Edit: bad math, nvm

• Options
    You might read this and respond :)

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1228336/t6-talshiar-adapted-ships-comparison-and-glee

Something very strange would have to happen for that to not be an AMAZING ship for a sci captain. Universal Commander slot and sensor analysis. You can run it as pretty much the most ill-tempered science ship ever ;).
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Ground Armor and Weapons are also bind on pick up. Those and Console Weapon sets are the things to focus your Lobi expenditures on. That new Sphere Builder Console/Weapon Set is the first to be at Very Rare Quality. All others are Rare only.

A few years ago Ground Weapons were too, but when the Item Upgrade System was being introduced they changed them to Very Rare instead. Perhaps they will get around to eventually making all of those Sets Very Rare as well. For 200 Lobi you should get VR to begin with.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    I ran the krenim sci ship for a year or so, good science ship, but I wanted something truly badassed so I did the EC grind for about a month on 5 toons and bought the paradox for 286mil. I am very happy with my purchase indeed!
    I honestly dont see myself using a different sci ship except for fun or traits as this has everything I'm looking for in a vessel.
    My only complaint isn't really a suprise in that she is slow as hell (being a dreadnought).
    But you can work around that, and I knew what I was getting into when I bought the ship and already own many dreadnoughts.
    All round fab ship, 4-3 weapons, full science capability, plenty of hull and shields, a hangar and a nice trait. Happy me. :)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    How does the paradox compare to the T6 Temporal Multi-mission sci vessel?
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    My take, without having parsed my sci ships extensively, is that the best Sci ship in game (based on stats comparisons) currently is the Edoulg, followed by the Eternal (haven't flown mine yet), simply because temporal powers seem so strong with exotic dmg - maybe I'm wrong on this, but I've never seen so many big yellow exotic crits before just by pressing a button.

With the Annorax, Paradox, Harpia, these all required a lot of tuning and highly orchestrated piloting to make them work somewhat as they were intended, and even then, a standard science vessel as opposed to hybrid sci destroyers or sci dreads would do better and offer more flexibility to get the most out of sci.

Variety in sci ships is of course a great thing since one can do so much with them already, and the small difference in stats and features makes each capable of doing a more specialized role better.

I've compared the Annorax and the Paradox, and although the Annorax does stand out in a few ways (AP lance, frigates, starship trait, etc.), it isn't by a whole lot, and even the build I settled on can be replicated with minor changes on the Paradox.

So I'd say go with whichever one attracts you the most, and like someone already mentioned, test them in tribble if you get the chance.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    I'd point out the Paradox is almost uniquely well suited to life as a black magic/torpedo craft because it's a science vessel with access to Command abilities. Grav well III, Concentrate firepower II, and 4 forward torpedo tubes can be thrilling to watch in action ;).
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    The Paradox is a good ship, I fly one myself. I don't use the Command seat, but that Intel seat is downright deadly!

Also, the Aeon timeship hangar pets are some of the most useful hangar pets I've ever used (not counting frigate pets, mind you).

It is a very effective ship in nearly any Sci/dps role, I pull 60k+ dps with mine, and I use VR weapons (and no lobi gear aside from the Paradox, itself). That was before I bought the Arbiter for the trait too... Hmm, should run another dps test someday lol.

As for your Lobi, I don't have any real recommendations for it, I bought my Paradox with EC. Since Lobi is generally a VERY expensive currency to obtain I won't tell you how to spend it. :)
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    How does the paradox compare to the T6 Temporal Multi-mission sci vessel?

I fly em both. The main differences are fact that the temporal dread has no real temporal powers (it’s too old for that) and is quiet a slow turning beast. Then again it has one gun port more which is something I (for my part) don’t refuse even as sci captain. Since one can’t slot the 31c console set one also has more room for other stuff. I also like the combo of Intel and Command powers the paradox can use.

I play the Paradox mainly as semi stationary siege craft which really shines in hive or cc and the multi-mission as pve dog fighter.

They play quiet differently but I would not want to miss either of them. :)

Still, if I get the Annorax one day the multi-mission would have to go.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Step 1: Transfer your toon to Tribble server.
    Step 2: Transfer your toon to Tribble server. (again)
    Step 3: Transfer your toon to Tribble server. (again)
    Step 4: Transfer your toon to Tribble server. (again)
    Step 5: Transfer your toon to Tribble server. (again)
    Step 6: Put 4000 lobi in your account bank and have the 5th toon take it all. Now buy all the ships you are interested in on Tribble with the 'fake' lobi. Test drive to your heart's content. Then if you really like something, buy it on Holodeck for 'real'. But if some cool T6 revamps are coming, it never hurts to wait. Waiting in STO is almost ALWAYS worth it. New shiny OP toys always coming down the pipeline.
  • Options
    harlequinpixieharlequinpixie Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    I'd have to agree with the poster that mentions the Na'kuhl Daemosh Science Vessel. As it is by far a excellent science ship. I have tried the paradox and did enjoy it, but it turns really slow. And I like my ships to be nimble. I use all torpedoes on my daemosh and it does some really high spike damage. If you have enough, get bioneural circuits to go with it, as the Daemosh's unique console is well worth using.