test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Single Map Missions

What would it be like to create and play a mission that required only one map?

This question is what propelled me to create my first single map mission called: [SMM] Aiding the Settlers. The purpose was to see if a single map mission could provide enough content for a player to accomplish. It was also meant to eliminate excessive loading while playing a mission so that the mission could run smoothly.

Having created the mission, I learned that story is everything as well as simple small objectives. Dialog between landing party characters as well as with main characters are essential to making the mission enjoyable. Most importantly, balance between the activities helps make the mission more of an exploration rather than a grind.

I would like to invite others to try making their own single map mission in hopes: 1. To have more story-based mission rather than battle-based and 2. To create a genera on Foundry missions that players will enjoy. So if you are planning to create a Foundry mission this year, consider creating a Single Map Mission.
18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg

Comments

• zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I don't really have much to add, I agree with your points. I prefer less map transitions and more detailed maps (and story within a map). Loading screense are annoying and can take the player out of their immersion

I have one of my own The Galaxy's Fair. I'll play yours soon (maybe tomorrow if I have time)
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    Hey I played the mission yesterday (finally, I competely forgot about it oops)

Anyways, it was a good mission and proves you can make a mission with a defined story in just one map. It was a bit tedious running around the map so much though, everything is so far apart. It did make me feel more "starfleet" though since I was going out of my way to help people instead of going out of my way to blow them up ;)

Couple other points
    • Kind of a weird start location. You're going to a planet to help them yet it starts on ESD where you "beam down" to the planet. Why not just have it start a planet somewhere?
    • Found a typo when you first meet the Ocampan: “It is an honor and pleasuer to have you come to help us”

Hope you get to see this, thanks for the mission!
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    One of the things i have wanted to do is to create a single map mission with multiple map transitions within the same map using triggers. So far, i think i have managed to have 1 map with 5 locations on it using triggers to change the surroundings. I think that was in Hunt for a Viper. I haven't thought about making a mission based in one location yet, though. sounds interesting.
  • helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    One of the things i have wanted to do is to create a single map mission with multiple map transitions within the same map using triggers. So far, i think i have managed to have 1 map with 5 locations on it using triggers to change the surroundings. I think that was in Hunt for a Viper. I haven't thought about making a mission based in one location yet, though. sounds interesting.

At the moment there is the "ominous trigger bug" in the editor... I think you made the "Viper" episode before this s@#t. Nowadays is a little more complicated to see immediately how triggers works. The triggered objects remain in initial state. Period. You have to test with publishing to see how your triggers work...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I came close between SSF season 1 and 2. If I work on a Risa/Iffar vacation episode then I'll probably try approaching it as a one-map build (similar to Zorbane's Galaxy's Fair).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2017

At the moment there is the "ominous trigger bug" in the editor... I think you made the "Viper" episode before this s@#t. Nowadays is a little more complicated to see immediately how triggers works. The triggered objects remain in initial state. Period. You have to test with publishing to see how your triggers work...

No i test in Editor using the blank popups to kickstart triggers ;o)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    if that bug is what I think it is, resetting the map might help as well.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    I agree with what you are saying, whilst I havn't been able to create a single map mission, I do have a rule in my series to make it as few maps as possible = LESS IS MORE
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy