test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Determining AFK Penalties and "Lack of Participation" in PvE Queues

I understand the need to weed out people who benefit off the hard work of others by sitting back and doing nothing during the queues. I get that and I appreciate that.

That said, there needs to be an overhaul on what determines if a person gets the AFK penalty or bans from queues.

The reason I state this stems from an incident that occurred last night.

I warped into a Borg Red Alert and hit full impulse to engage, activating stuff all the way there. Before I can get into firing range, two cubes are destroyed. Next thing I know, all four preboss battles are cleared (still haven't been able to fire a shot) and here comes the big boy. Zip over, and sure enough, before I can get into firing range, it's destroyed as well.

Basically, people with the DPS monster builds are one-shotting nearly everything before I can even get into range.

Amazingly, I still got my Omega Marks, but not the other marks. Eh, it happens from time to time.

Come out, warp to the Tholian Red Alert and join the queue.

At least I tried to.

I get this pop up message that says I am temporarily banned from joining or creating public queues, likely because I "didn't participate" in the Borg RA.

So because people are power gaming like crazy, I actually get punished because the programming is apparently not sophisticated enough to tell the difference between someone who is sitting still and not participating (or even actively avoiding combat) and someone who is trying with everything they have, but just get outclassed by the other players.

This is a glaring problem that should be resolved, because there was absolutely no real reason to auto-ban me from joining queues.
Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!

Comments

• themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Get gud. If you can't take out a group of borgs alone, don't do RA. They don't have an advanced or elite mode...so get gud or play something else. And to take out a borg group alones basically requires mark xii common gear and a brain on the free level 40 ship.

Thanks, man. That was absolutely useless advice. *thumbs up*

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Get gud. If you can't take out a group of borgs alone, don't do RA. They don't have an advanced or elite mode...so get gud or play something else. And to take out a borg group alones basically requires mark xii common gear and a brain on the free level 40 ship.

@coldnapalm

you should reread the op. the problem they were dead before the op could shoot them, not the op could't kill em. no amount of dps fixs that.

and to said op. good luck people have been asking for a fix for this for a while. no answer from cryptoc I'm sorry to say.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    nightken wrote: »

@coldnapalm

you should reread the op. the problem they were dead before the op could shoot them, not the op could't kill em. no amount of dps fixs that.

and to said op. good luck people have been asking for a fix for this for a while. no answer from cryptoc I'm sorry to say.

That is because he followed them instead of going after his own group. You should never have to follow somebody. Get to your group and even if you don't get to kill it, you getting some shots off will negate the AFK penalty. If you can't take a group on your own...either your gear or brain or both are not good enough. Gear like I said is quite easy to fix. Your brain on the other hand...yeah...from what I see so far...not gonna be able to fix that one as easily.

Me not know what you speak about. Me can brain good.

Seriously, man? Insulting someone? What, are you twelve?

It's not about circumventing a flaw. It's about addressing the issue at its source.

If you have a hole in your living room floor, sure you can step around it to keep from twisting your ankle, but at some point, the smart thing to do is to actually FIX THE HOLE.

Things I want in STO:

nightken wrote: »

@coldnapalm

That is because he followed them instead of going after his own group. You should never have to follow somebody. Get to your group and even if you don't get to kill it, you getting some shots off will negate the AFK penalty. If you can't take a group on your own...either your gear or brain or both are not good enough. Gear like I said is quite easy to fix. Your brain on the other hand...yeah...from what I see so far...not gonna be able to fix that one as easily.

Me not know what you speak about. Me can brain good.

Seriously, man? Insulting someone? What, are you twelve?

It's not about circumventing a flaw. It's about addressing the issue at its source.

If you have a hole in your living room floor, sure you can step around it to keep from twisting your ankle, but at some point, the smart thing to do is to actually FIX THE HOLE.

You are under the rather mistaken impression that the AFK penalty is the hole in the ground instead of the fix. The hole in the ground was that you had people who would join queue, do nothing and come back for the rewards after they are done watching their cat videos. Which for people like me ain't a thing since we can solo these stupid things anyways. People like you on the other hand...well, you are fraked ain't ya. And no, this ain't a hyperbole. Before the AFK ban, I have had 4 people AFK on me and I had to solo the queue...and not as a singular instance. Don't bother me none...in fact I kind prefer it that way as it's at least kind of a challenge at least...but like I said, this was the fix. It's not a good fix...but it really is better that how it was before. If anything, they should up the damage percentage threshold so people can't get away with doing just a few pot shots.

No, I do not consider the AFK penalty or the temp bans to be the hole in the ground at all. In fact, I said in my very first post that I understand why they do it and that I appreciate it. What IS the proverbial hole in the ground is the METHOD THEY USE TO CALCULATE IT.

My entire point, which you obviously skipped over to cherry pick your arguments to get your "git gud" commentary, is that how they calculate the necessity for the penalty is fundamentally flawed. What apparently happens is that they look at the amount of damage dealt out by each player, and if no damage is done by a player, that player gets hit with the penalty regardless of intent.

What needs to happen is that the calculations need to be able to take INTENT into account when calculating whether or not a player gets hit with a penalty. To reiterate my earlier statement, the programming is apparently not sophisticated enough to tell the difference between someone who is sitting still and not participating (or even actively avoiding combat) and someone who is trying with everything they have, but just get outclassed by the other players.

Your argument is that because I got outclassed, it's my fault. Well, buddy, everyone has to start somewhere. Even you, who can by your own statement solo an entire Red Alert, weren't always capable of doing so. So get off your high horse, stop assuming things about people, and start actually reading what people write instead of cherry picking your statements.

Things I want in STO:

HOW THE FRAK DO YOU CALCULATE INTENT YOU FRAKING MORON. PEOPLE CAN'T EVEN DO THAT AND YOU WANT A COMPUTER AI TO DO IT?!? You are so fraking stupid...OMG.

I'm going to ignore the flaming commentary (not even going to touch the spelling and grammar issues), but this is your last warning. Debate properly, please. Flaming and name-calling have no place in a civilized discussion, which is what I am looking to have.

Now, as to your question, it's relatively simple:

The game has to track your relative position in space to indicate your location in respects to enemy combatants, so that if you are in range, you and they can both fire at each other. Additionally, it has to know when traits, bridge officer powers, and console abilities are activated so as to apply the appropriate changes to your ship. Since these specific items are already being tracked, you can extrapolate out an entire timeline of events from the moment you enter to the moment you leave.

With these events already being tracked and the basic framework in place (i.e. - the one percent damage you spoke of), it shouldn't be too difficult to expand that to monitor your speed, location, direction, and activated powers. Using that tracking, you could parse that data to show intent. Someone barreling in at top speed while activating powers but unable to fire a shot due to the enemy getting blown up ahead of time shows more intent than someone sitting still and waiting for the queue to be over.
    The DPS mark is gonna be as good as you get...and when did I said that I couldn't ever solo a RA? I've been doing it with common stuff when we could join it solo.

Either you are some kind of gaming prodigy (in which case you should be gaming for money) or that statement is a giant load of bovine excrement. If, indeed, you were able to solo a Red Alert from the start, then your entire argument is null and void because you have no frame of reference to speak of. It would be like a mathematical genius saying "I don't know why you don't understand algebra at age sixteen. I was doing differential calculus at age five!"
    Nor did i say you have to be able to solo it...you have to do ONE FRAKING PERCENT.

I didn't say that I have to be able to solo it either. Quit putting words in my mouth. The issue is not about how much damage is being done by me, but whether or not I can actually get in there and do the damage to begin with.

Reading comprehension is really not your strong suit, is it?
    So you understand NOTHING and you are just showing off that the issue ain't the game, the gear or anything else...it's you.

The point.

The Delta Quadrant

Q'on'Os

Vulcan

Neptune

Mars

Luna

ESD

Your head.

Things I want in STO:

• cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    a8fdf58a7e4760e3326f70b6888ea724.jpg
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    edited February 2017
    So...you want an AI system WAY more complicated than what the NPC has so you don't get the AFK penalty because you are too fraking stupid to be able to do 1%. Yeah...no.

No, I just think it's unfair for those of us at lower tiers to get shafted because of power gamers and DPS monsters.
    If the devs were even capable of doing that,

Which they are... if they weren't capable of doing it, they wouldn't be able to make the game as it stands. None of that matters anyway because with this new game balancing they're doing, a lot of the problems inherent here might be negated.
    I would rather they work on the game instead of the stupid AFK penalty.

Pay attention, because I'm only going to say this one more time.

I am not advocating a change to or removal of the AFK penalty. I am proposing a change to HOW IT IS IMPLEMENTED.
    And no you do not have to be some gaming genius to do any normal content with normal common gear. You just have to be not stupid.

And here we go with the petty insults. You are taking this way too personally. It's almost like you stand to lose something.
    And my reading comprehension? You are the one who just claimed that that I couldn't solo RA and the in the very next post backtracks.

Actually, your reading comprehension is terrible. If you actually read and comprehended what I wrote, you would have seen that I never once backtracked on anything.

Here's the sequence of events:

1) I said that at the beginning stages of playing, nobody is as good as they are later on.
    2) You boasted that you solo'd RA's from the moment you started using common gear.
    3) I replied that you're either a gaming genius or full of excrement.

There is not a single backtracking statement in that sequence of events.

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I think that time has passed. Frankly, I am going to say that you are lying about being a perfect player from the start. I highly doubt you were capable of doing what you claim, and I would go so far as to say that you probably still get blown up in RAs.
    You can't even understand what the hell you wrote...much less what I am writing. To make it CLEAR...the issue is YOU...not ANYTHING ELSE. Go fraking deal with or not...but stop wasting bandwith at this point or I will cease to be kind.

Oh don't worry, there's no need for you to "cease to be kind."

It seems to me that your intention was never to actually address the issue at hand, but to boast about how good you are and to denigrate me as a player. Therefore, I am ceasing this line of communication with you as it serves no purpose except to give you an opportunity to stroke your own Napoleonesque ego. It's obvious from your insults, the comedy of errors that is your spelling and grammar "abilities," and the lack of reading comprehension afforded to a slow first grader, that I have scraped more intelligence from the bottom of my shoe after walking through a cow pasture than you seem to possess between your ears.

Good day, sir.

Things I want in STO:

Since you declined-

3ac0a64ee6d1da579f1b6bc6d6d12e10.jpg

Things I want in STO:

Given that this is my thread, you are the one who needs to walk away. You are not helping. You haven't helped from your very first response. In fact, you've done nothing but insult me from the start. If anyone needs help, it is you, for only a disturbed and mentally deficient troll starts trouble in someone else's thread and demands they leave. Now, leave my thread in peace, child. I have better things to do than deal with you.

Things I want in STO:

Coldnapalm is dead on in his assessment. Given that you are asking for a change in the game to accommodate your playing style is a commonly posted request on these forums.

You can say, Sir, Ma'am, thank you, your welcome all you want to seem to be nice, but in the end, you are asking for a change in the game to benefit yourself.

Every six months I post about chucking the dil exchange, I am always prepared to defend my stance, no matter how much it will never happen.

Keep trying OP, one or these days of head pounding might just create that window.
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    cidjack wrote: »
    Coldnapalm is dead on in his assessment. Given that you are asking for a change in the game to accommodate your playing style is a commonly posted request on these forums.

You can say, Sir, Ma'am, thank you, your welcome all you want to seem to be nice, but in the end, you are asking for a change in the game to benefit yourself.

Uh, no. I am proposing something that will alleviate the inadvertent punishment of people who don't need to be punished based on an overly wide selection criteria.There's no change involved. Simply a refinement of an already existing process. Basically, narrow the focus.

Also, it doesn't happen all the time (I've only been AFK penalized once and temp banned once), but I'm not the only one it happens to, so saying it's all about me is disingenuous.

In reality, if coldnapalm had delivered his message without resorting to insults, I would have been fine with it, but the fact that he immediately started insulting me is what led me to reject anything he had to say out of hand.

Things I want in STO:

• cayleercayleer Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    ^^ wow supreme DOUCHE
    Jeisun
    StarFleet Engineer
    U.S.S. Diana
    Alita Heavy Escort
    USS_Diana_and_crew.png
    edited February 2017
    cidjack wrote: »

Uh, no. I am proposing something that will alleviate the inadvertent punishment of people who don't need to be punished based on an overly wide selection criteria.There's no change involved. Simply a refinement of an already existing process. Basically, narrow the focus.

Also, it doesn't happen all the time (I've only been AFK penalized once and temp banned once), but I'm not the only one it happens to, so saying it's all about me is disingenuous.

In RR reality, if coldnapalm had delivered his message without resorting to insults, I would have been fine with it, but the fact that he immediately started insulting me is what led me to reject anything he had to say out of hand.

So...let me get this strait...you think must do at least 1% is overly wide?!? You think don't be stupid and have at least common mark XII gear is overly wide? Umm yeah...k. Your idiocy is showing...cover it up.

And changing how the AFK penalty is applied is making no changes once again in what universe? Because it sure as hell ain't this one. So in the same paragraph...you idiocy is showing...cover it up.

NOBODY claimed you are the only one who got an AFK penalty. Hell even I have gotten them from getting DCed. We are saying that is you do get them...the issue is ALL YOU. At least in the cased of you DCed, we can be a bit sympathetic...but in the case of your performance...git gud.

If you reject what somebody says because they ain't nice, you are a moron and really...not worth a damn. Not only that, but you are the one who started off being the insulting one by blaming you issues on "power gamers". People like you are why this world is going to the crappers. Yeah we can be nice to each other...but you have to nice FIRST. You blamed others for your own damn shortcoming. Had you started your post as I got the AFK penalty and i would like help on how to avoid it in the future...sure I can help you nicely with that. You blamed others first...sorry, but PoS people like that can be treated as PoS. You sir, despite what you think, ain't nice...so deal with it...or get better and learn to accept your own damn mistakes instead of blaming others.

Son, let me tell you something. Your little petty insults truly do nothing to me. I have heard far more creative insults from far less intelligent people than you (a Herculean feat in and of itself).

Now, to your point, I could possibly see where you were coming from if it were just me with this issue. However, I am not the only one. Yes, everyone has a bad day every once in a while. But when the same issue crops up over and over and over again, you look at the common denominators (in this case, high end DPS builds killing the competitiveness) and propose a solution to keep it from happening again.

Also, I never explicitly blamed power gamers. I have no problem with that play style. It's just as valid as a canon build or any theme build. No, as stated in the original post and even in the title, my issue is with how the AFK penalty and bans are calculated and applied.

Things I want in STO:

OP,

You mentioned earlier that you are not listening to coldnapalm as you feel he is personally attacking, now you just personally attacked him.

I think we need a measuring tape and a magnifying glass so we can measure this e-pen contest.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Yes, the so-called AFK penalty is a complete farce.

In this case, you could try sitting in the middle waiting for the boss to spawn on top of you, so you can get your shots in.
    edited February 2017
    Do you have even ONE other person supporting you at this point in this thread?

Never claimed to. I simply stated that there were others out there who have experienced the same issue as me.
    We have one person who thinks I am a jerk...which I never denied or said otherwise.

Just because you CAN be a jerk does not mean that you have to do it. Be the better man.
    The number of posts we get about people who complain about the AFK penalty is PUNY compared to the complaints about pretty much anything else because you need to be joined with a super high end players AND you have to be miserably poor at this game for that to trigger, Cidjack's complaint about the exchange and it's need to either disappear or reach 500 dil per zen happens more often then somebody who complains about the AFK penalty.

Yes, not everyone comes on this board...but seriously, it's 1%. If you can't reach that, do something else. And you are blaming the power gamers...you are STILL blaming the power gamers as you said just now, yet again, that they are the common denominator. Well, you know what else is the common denominator? The fact that you can't do 5k DPS to get the 1% damage...or you are so clueless about the map that instead of doing what needs to get done, you just follow the DPS people around and do nothing for all intent and purpose. Yes, power gamers are a reason...but so are BAD players. I was in an ISA where a guy in a scimmy got AFKed. NOBODY did more than 40k DPS. The total DPS for everyone other that the AFKed person was 115k. You know what he did? under 900. Yep 900...not even 1k DPS. And yes, he was moving and trying to do stuff. So you are gonna tell me that my for fun 40k boat is the problem with that person getting AFKed? It wasn't the fact that he SUCKED monkeyballs and did less than 1k. More than the high end players being the common theme, I would say people who really suck is the issue here. So the solution is once again, git gud.

1) To be fair, I've only been AFK penalized once since I started playing and temp banned once, so it's not like it's a constant issue or a need to "git gud" as you not-so-eloquently put it by using parlance common to other games.

2) No, I am not blaming the power gamers. That is simply what you choose to erroneously believe. Since I am sure that you have no real interest in anything I have to say other than to have a reason to attack me again, I will just leave it alone, as nothing is likely to convince you otherwise.

3) Okay, so tell me how exactly you know how much damage he did. Does the game have a readily available ledger for people to access that details out the movements and DPS damage done by each player? If it does, I would like to know how to access this information for future purposes. I'd like to analyze the data from an RA and see where any potential weak spots are on my build in terms of weapons.

warpangel wrote: »
    Yes, the so-called AFK penalty is a complete farce.

In this case, you could try sitting in the middle waiting for the boss to spawn on top of you, so you can get your shots in.

Or do what I said earlier and go after a group on your own. This is normal, you should be able to take out a group on your own.

Hate to break it to you, but not everyone is able to tank a swarm of spheres.

And before you say "git gud," I'm fairly certain that even you would be wiped out using "common Mk XII equipment" no matter how good you are.

Things I want in STO:

Point 3, you run a 3rd party combat log. Like CLR or SCM. On a side note...I don't parse...I happened to see it on a run because somebody else did and he posted when somebody on the team asked for it. I actually play basically what I want because it's fun. I have yet to get AFKed for anything other than a DC.

As for common gear not good enough...that is exactly what I did with my AoY toon. Hell, even managed to do an advanced queue with two other have only common gear peeps when two people ditched. I was getting marks to get the rep reward and was not interested in spending any resource doing it...so yeah...basically white mark XII...I say basically because some of my gear was mark X or less of higher quality which performed about the same as a mark XII common. And I am hardly good at this game. There are people who can do elite missions using a T1 ship. So if you think my claim that common gear is good enough is a load...really git gud. You are so far in the ignorant stage, you literally don't know how little you know.

Oh... so close.

I was so hoping that you could go a single post without tossing out an insult.

I guess I was wrong.

Things I want in STO:

ruinthefun wrote: »
    The obvious bandaid fix to the "AFK Penalty" problems like the OP experienced is that AFK penalties should not be applied to mission runs that last under 5 minutes, as if a mission ends so quickly, the user's participation or lack thereof was clearly not an issue.

That could work, but I get this gut feeling there's some potential for abuse.
    Furthermore, AFK penalties should never be applied in private missions, or to participating in a private queue, so even if you did somehow receive one, you can still start or partake privately.

Uh, bad idea. The entire purpose of the penalties was to prevent camping and to weed out resource farmers (which could tax the system resources). Taking the AFK penalty away in this case would be a step backwards.

Things I want in STO: