test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Q&A vid - Don't pass it up

The Season 12: Q&A may have some stuff you wanted to know about in it, so don't pass it up.
It is 2 hours long, so you may just want to have it playing in the background while you play. Just thought I'd toss it out there.

Comments

• Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    What did you find interesting or exciting?
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    answers to some things.
    I work in a related field, so it's interesting to me.
    Still watching it, but I always like to hear the points of view of the artists. But the Exec says a good bit about things that had me wondering, particularly the way they run their project scheduling, story design, alien groups, etc.
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    No captioning, need a text transcript.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I'm not spending 2 hours watching a video with no idea what's in it just because there might theoretically be something interesting at some point.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Me either warpangel.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    up to you. *shrug*
  • Options
    alfred399alfred399 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Anyone willing to summarise? Kinda interested now but don't really want to watch 2 hours either
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    To summarise: They talk about nearly every major point people have brought up in this forum. They even touch on the Dil Cap, if only to say they won't talk about the Dil Cap. I only suggest 'listening' to it, if you actually want to hear what some of the Devs have to say. But no point in me saying anything else on it. My point of view on it is biased because of my work.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    A transcript would be great, don't have time to listen to a 2 hour vod but I could give a transcript a quick read the next time I visit the cr.apper ...

Anyway, the two biggest things I'd like to know are did they mention pulse phaser sounds or the lack of an NX bridge?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    think they talk about being able to outfit the NX retro from the lobi store with the classic style. something about it being built-in and not having to buy it off the C-Store to do it. don't think they mentioned this particular bridge, but there was a lot of talking about bridge design.

Nothing about the phaser sounds, though. :/
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    They do indirectly confirm another expansion around 35 minutes in, but we all knew that was going to happen.

Well, anyone who listens to the podcasts. They have the story planned out a year or two in advance.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    was interesting to hear more about there opinions and things they like from the trek verse but they dont cover/answer anything we dont already know.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    To summarise: They talk about nearly every major point people have brought up in this forum. They even touch on the Dil Cap, if only to say they won't talk about the Dil Cap. I only suggest 'listening' to it, if you actually want to hear what some of the Devs have to say. But no point in me saying anything else on it. My point of view on it is biased because of my work.

Thanks for posting the link, wendysue53.

I must admit, though, that I zoned out pretty early into the vid. It's cute listening to Designers talk about how they can't just do tentacles on a whim and all, but not enough for me to stay with 'em for that for 2 hours. Priority One Podcast, IMHO, is much more entertaining that way, and talks about things I find relevant, like where they want to go with the game.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Shouldn't the Media Corps be doing that?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    I'm not spending 2 hours watching a video with no idea what's in it just because there might theoretically be something interesting at some point.

Oh come on now. Back in the day, that's what made randomly choosing a movie from the "bargain" rack at the video store an adventure!

I mean, come on... would anyone have enjoyed "The Sixth Sense" or "Unbreakable" were it not for the last 5 minutes?

M. Night Shaymalan couldn't have written a better "twist" ending to the Iconian War.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Oh come on now. Back in the day, that's what made randomly choosing a movie from the "bargain" rack at the video store an adventure!
    True. But in the case that the back of a box would say said a movie primarily involved people talking for 2 hours, I'd rather pick one that promised explosions instead. ;)
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

I mean, come on... would anyone have enjoyed "The Sixth Sense" or "Unbreakable" were it not for the last 5 minutes?

M. Night Shaymalan couldn't have written a better "twist" ending to the Iconian War.
    I can think of several potential Shyamalan twists for the Iconian War:
    -The Iconians worship the tribbles and when they're about to destroy Earth, they receive a message from the tribble hive mind: "The Alliance are our friends and under our protection, leave now. Feel free to keep wrecking the Klingon First City, though, they're jerk to us"
    -There is no Iconian, everyone was mind-controlled by the Deferi all along and killing each other by seeing hallucinations
    -The Iconians are the good guys and trying to free everyone from a VR simulation set up by the Dominion
    -You suffered a fatal injury during the Vega colony invasion. It was easily thwarted, but you were a casualty. The Iconians (and all other antagonists) were actually angels trying to make you move to the afterlife but you viewed them as enemies because you refused to accept your demise
    -"computer, end program. -enjoyed your holodeck game... M. Sisko?"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

This one seems Cryptic enough to get used
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

I can think of several potential Shyamalan twists for the Iconian War:
    -The Iconians worship the tribbles and when they're about to destroy Earth, they receive a message from the tribble hive mind: "The Alliance are our friends and under our protection, leave now. Feel free to keep wrecking the Klingon First City, though, they're jerk to us"
    -There is no Iconian, everyone was mind-controlled by the Deferi all along and killing each other by seeing hallucinations
    -The Iconians are the good guys and trying to free everyone from a VR simulation set up by the Dominion
    -You suffered a fatal injury during the Vega colony invasion. It was easily thwarted, but you were a casualty. The Iconians (and all other antagonists) were actually angels trying to make you move to the afterlife but you viewed them as enemies because you refused to accept your demise

All of those are better than what we got.
  • Options
    They do indirectly confirm another expansion around 35 minutes in, but we all knew that was going to happen.

I'd like to touch on some things I found interesting here (most of the rest was pretty boring). So, Salami(?) mentioned that the future proof arc setup AoY by bringing time travel to the foreground, and dropped a hint that they may have done something similar in reckoning. The reason I find this interesting is that, between DR and Future Proof we finished the DR arc, then did the entire Iconian war,a full year's worth of content before the build towards AoY started. If it's true that they are starting that now, is it possible that they could be moving from a 2 year expansion schedule to a 1 year expansion schedule, with expansion 4 coming sometime between august and November 2017? And what would the build up factor be? Protomatter? Those strange crystals? Exploration?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    They have an 18 month planning cycle, roughly. That's how far out he said they were working, but with about a 4 month actual development period. Even the interviewer said that seems pretty quick.
  • Options
    They have an 18 month planning cycle, roughly. That's how far out he said they were working, but with about a 4 month actual development period. Even the interviewer said that seems pretty quick.

... I didn't say anything about the planning cycle ... in the past there has been roughly 2 years between expansions ... I was speculating about the possibility of then moving to just 1 year between expansions ...
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    the planning cycle is the turn-over from start to release. If it's 18 months, then it's nearly 2 years per. But there is only a 4 month period when they get right down to it. Just going by what they said...
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    How about a takeoff on either the ending for the the Newhart Show (ending up in The Bob Newhart Show) or St. Elsewhere (the entire series was the imaginings of a young boy).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    the planning cycle is the turn-over from start to release. If it's 18 months, then it's nearly 2 years per. But there is only a 4 month period when they get right down to it. Just going by what they said...

You literally do not understand what I said it seems, because it's completely independent of the planning cycle. I speculated about expansion 4 possibly coming out 1ish year after expansion 3, rather than having a 2 year gap like they did between expansions 2 and 3. Obviously, if this were the case, they would have planned it long before AoY launched, giving them that 18 month turn-over regardless of the time between expansion releases ...
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017

You literally do not understand what I said it seems, because it's completely independent of the planning cycle. I speculated about expansion 4 possibly coming out 1ish year after expansion 3, rather than having a 2 year gap like they did between expansions 2 and 3. Obviously, if this were the case, they would have planned it long before AoY launched, giving them that 18 month turn-over regardless of the time between expansion releases ...

oh. sure. I can see that.
    They did say that they started planning for this year around early of 2016, but didn't start the comp work until around Sept for the first episode released in Dec. Still, they aren't done, so the 18 month turn-around isn't over yet.
    And you're right, release dates are just what the public sees to compare things, where as the work schedule is what they actually do. It could easily look like 1 year between 3 and 4, while actually having 4 underwork for nearly 2 years.
    As for the 18 months and such, I was just going by what the current Exec was saying in the vid for their stuff.