test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pulse Phasers

So let down by these...they don't even have the iconic movie sound. :'(
i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!

Comments

• Options
    damocles2209damocles2209 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    No kidding. And the assault phasers are the same deal. What the hell, Cryptic? Why even release them if you couldn't do them right?
  • Options
    ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Maybe the sound files aren't properly linked so they're just drawing from the default for "Phaser"?
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    How accurate are the visuals for the space weapons?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    Visually they're too bright and they flash too much. They'll probably give someone a seizure.
  • Options
    captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Actually I like them, the space sound effects are good. The Assault phaser LOOKS great but the sound is wrong, I am hoping they update that too... my main concern is the type II wrath of khan pulse pistol, I can't buy it from lobi store. It's my #1 wish list item
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    What do the space phasers look like? TOS, WoK, typical phasers, something else?
  • Options
    stee1maxstee1max Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    Why does everything have to be alike? No one promised you canonically correct improvisation of the content. STO has never posed as a canon storyline.

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    stee1max wrote: »
    darakoss wrote: »
    Why does everything have to be alike? No one promised you canonically correct improvisation of the content. STO has never posed as a canon storyline.

That is idiotic. Why do people care about things from the TV shows and movies to begin with? That's why.

Why did people care about having Defiant, Connie, Nebula, canon weapons, canon uniforms?

Why did Cryptic bother to fix up to have a more correct representation of the Galaxy, Sovereign to begin with?

Etc.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    The visuals are okay for me but the sound is super cartoony and has no oomph. I can understand not directly using the canon reference for the audio but I think we could get closer.
  • Options
    Finally got a chance to try it out, visuals are pretty decent, though not perfect, but it sounds like a dollar store laser gun toy ...
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Do I even have to say how much better this conversation would go as an attempt to get the Devs to do something if it were framed as "Hey, this is more along the lines of what I'd like to see and hear for Pulse phasers if they're intended to be TMP inspired: [gives examples/you-tube links]." instead of "You're doing it wrong."
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    Do I even have to say how much better this conversation would go as an attempt to get the Devs to do something if it were framed as "Hey, this is more along the lines of what I'd like to see and hear for Pulse phasers if they're intended to be TMP inspired: [gives examples/you-tube links]." instead of "You're doing it wrong."

Come on Nikeix, you know what a portion of the forum dellers are like :) They believe they need to insult every chance they get if something is not done perfectly :)

News flash people, how can flawed creatures (us humans) create perfection when we are not perfect ourselves :).
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    nikeix wrote: »

I get what you're saying, but this falls into the group of things I don't expect to ever be high enough priority to actually be fixed tbh. Makes me miss the good old days of gaming when, if a dev used a sound effect that sounded like a herd of elephants farting, you could just go on Filefront and download a higher quality sound courtesy of the modding community. Nowadays most games either can't or don't get modded.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Yes, I was disappointed in the sound as well. The visual isn't bad — though it's a little too "regular." In the movie, they had a somewhat staccato way of firing that seemed more natural. But the sound was hugely important for those phasers, with that staticky hiss being a major departure from earlier versions. If that could be reproduced, I'd outfit a whole ship with them.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the omni directional pulse phasers count as mission reward or crafted? Can't think of any other time a lockbox weapon was available in the omni variety (of course is also possible I just never noticed, lol)
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I have studied the wrath of khan battle scenes and they got the beams pretty close. The reddish/neon orange beams pulsing are very dramatic. I like them a LOT... If you watch the scene when reliant hits enterprise in the neck, the beam looks thin and pulses, just like in the game.

My two observations: the beams were always twin beams which seemed to oscillate back and forth. The sound is definitely embryonic of tng phasers, departing from the whistle and moving to the electronic hiss/squeel.

I urge you to remember none of the phasers in sto are *exactly* like the shows and movies, they are approximations. The dominion never shot purple jelly...

I think the new pulse phasers are close enough to WoK and maintain a little artistic license. If cryptic wants to modify them to be even more like they were in the film then great, if not I am happy with them as is. I do think, however the sound could be better. Ps: the assault phaser rifle has a pretty accurate sound but the assault pistols sound is off. Someone said could be a glitch in the sound file. I expect a few tweaks next patch.
  • Options
    shahademshahadem Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Visually they're too bright and they flash too much. They'll probably give someone a seizure.

They also don't punch holes into hulls or drill 12 mile holes into planets even though that's what phasers can do in the movies/shows.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Does anyone know if the omni directional pulse phasers count as mission reward or crafted? Can't think of any other time a lockbox weapon was available in the omni variety (of course is also possible I just never noticed, lol)

I think at least the Terran withering disruptor has omnis, and a phaser type -- Kelvin?

They count as crafted. The 3 classes for equipping are (Crafted OR Lock box) + (Episode Reward) + Kinetic Cutting Beam, with a max of 1 of each type.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Ignoring the Kinetic Cutting Beam (which is not a beam despite the name) there are from the Dev perspective high damage and low damage. The Lockbox and Crafted versions are both high damage.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    I think at least the Terran withering disruptor has omnis, and a phaser type -- Kelvin?
    Nope, it's the Mirror Agony Phaser, the Delphic AP and the Pulse Phaser that have Omni-beams. And yeah, I'm disappointed we can't get a Kelvin omni.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    theonlyhamster#0636 theonlyhamster Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    Nope, it's the Mirror Agony Phaser, the Delphic AP and the Pulse Phaser that have Omni-beams. And yeah, I'm disappointed we can't get a Kelvin omni.

Is it possible to apply an agony phaser omni and a normal phaser omni onto the same ship? or is that still not possible?

btw i've not seen these new Pulse phasers, can anyone send a screenshot on here of them?

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Is it possible to apply an agony phaser omni and a normal phaser omni onto the same ship? or is that still not possible?

btw i've not seen these new Pulse phasers, can anyone send a screenshot on here of them?

That's not possible. Omnis come in three categories: Reputation, Reward and Crafting. Lockbox omnis count as "crafted" ones and you can slot one of each category. The only reputation omni is the kinetic cutting beam and that's not even a beam weapon, so maybe we can remove "reputation" from the list above which leaves you with mission reward and crafted/lock box.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    OP - @darakoss - , can you please give us a pic of exactly which weapon you're referring to?
    There are several you could be talking about.
    Exactly which one did you mean? I thought at first you ment the hand held ones, then maybe the Defiant's Pulse Phaser cannons, then... from what everyone else posted, they aren't sure exactly what weapon you're pointing to either.

And your complaint is about a 'SPECIFIC WEAPON'. So it might help to know what one. Even above, they have listed several different ones by the same or similar names.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    OP - @darakoss - , can you please give us a pic of exactly which weapon you're referring to?
    There are several you could be talking about.
    Exactly which one did you mean? I thought at first you ment the hand held ones, then maybe the Defiant's Pulse Phaser cannons, then... from what everyone else posted, they aren't sure exactly what weapon you're pointing to either.

And your complaint is about a 'SPECIFIC WEAPON'. So it might help to know what one. Even above, they have listed several different ones by the same or similar names.

the space weapons in the new lockbox. the PULSE PHASERS. " This box contains two advanced Phaser technologies developed during the late 23rd Century -- Pulse Phasers and Assault Phasers." --straight from the box description. Everyone else seemed to know what I was talking about.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    Thank you.
    It's what I figured you meant, but there was confusion. in any case, I've not seen either yet in the game, so can't say anything further. Is it really off-the-wall wrong?