test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need general guidance on skill points and specialization

satai07satai07 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
Hello everyone,

I've been playing a couple months and could use some assistance on the space and ground skill trees for my characters. I have a feeling that I messed them up pretty good. I also haven't spent a single specialization point on any of my characters :)

What I'm looking for -

1) Suggestions on space and ground skill trees (based on profession?)
2) Suggestion on which captain specializations I should use (Primary/Secodary)

Any help would be appreciated!

Details : FED (two characters)

Level 60 science
Level 60 Tactical

Ships - 31st century set (Temporal seats), Intel set (Intelligence seats), Dauntless (Intel seat), Guardian Cruiser (Intel), and Hestia,

Details : ROM

Level 55 Engineer

Ships - 31st century set (Temporal seats), Faeht Intel Warbird, Aelahl Light Warbird Battlecruiser (intel seat)

Details : KDF

Level 58 Science

Ships - 31st century set (Temporal seats), qib intel battlecruiser, Mat'Ha Raptor (Intel seat)

Comments

• Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I can feel your pain here and understand. I started playing the game as soon as it dropped for Xbox One and am also at the point of trying to sort some of this stuff out, now that I've got a handful of Fleet Admirals plus an almost Dahar Master knocking at the door. I've yet to see any of my characters past the Delta Quadrant story either, and find myself getting blown to bits on occasion by the latest enemies. Needing to determine a more effective setup is gonna be a news years resolution!
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    satai07 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

What I'm looking for -

2) Suggestion on which captain specializations I should use (Primary/Secondary)

So with season 11.5 and the Skill tree Revamp...There are few "Bad" choices in the skill tree and that how the Devs wanted it.

1.)
    So...Ill give you links to 2 skill trees..
    Balanced Skill Tree - Balanced Explanation
    Mine I chose this Skill lay out because I LOVE the Science Ultimate..Some of my Favorite DPSer (astrozombie) have more points in Tactical over Engineering but I have no problems with NPCs..I also have my Ground skill tree set up per the DPS Leagues recommendations..

I Run the same skill tree on 3 different toons (Tac,Eng and Sci)..

2.) Temporal and Strategist (secondary) are the current meta but Intel is fine for a Primary.
    Post edited by odinforever20000 on

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    Don't worry about the meta too much. If it's powerful but not fun for you, it's not worth putting up with. Unless you're shooting for the top of the DPS charts, there's a very wide range of viable builds.

I like to use the Pilot spec as my secondary, especially for cruisers that could use every bit of turn rate you can squeeze in. It has several useful abilities: attack patterns grant temporary HP, Evasive Maneuvers breaks tractor beams, and Rock & Roll is a barrel roll that grants several seconds of invincibility.

I believe you can use kit modules from any specialization that you've spent enough points in, no matter what you have active, though I haven't used any specialization kits myself.

On the ground, I'd definitely get both points of Kit Performance for all toons. It boosts just about every kit power you can slot: healing, offense, buffs, debuffs, everything. A couple points in weapons are also important, and you can spend the rest based on how comfortable you are with playing a glass cannon.
  • Options
    feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    1) You might wanna check out our guides and ground/space builds at sto-league.com. The Skilltrees are normaly part of the build. I would not recommend a so called "balanced" skilltree, you would loose too much from it.

2)Most players are using Temporal or Intel as primary and strategist as secondary for space. For ground it would be Temporal/Commando.
  • Options
    I think it's a big mistake that they don't let you re-spec for free. I can even see getting 10 account based
    Hello everyone,

What I'm looking for -

So with season 11.5 and the Skill tree Revamp...There are few "Bad" choices in the skill tree and that how the Devs wanted it.

1.)
    Mine I chose this Skill lay out because I LOVE the Science Ultimate..Some of my Favorite DPSer (astrozombie) have more points in Tactical over Engineering but I have no problems with NPCs..I also have my Ground skill tree set up per the DPS Leagues recommendations..

2.) Temporal and Strategist (secondary) are the current meta but Intel is fine for a Primary.

It looks like the link to your space skill tree is broke Odin.
  • Options
    I have a couple questions on the Science ground skill options. I've spent my ground points to mimic the DPS League guide.

I took Medical Tricorder over Dylovene
    I took Electro-Grav over Sonic Pulse
    Improved Aim
    Furious Footwork

What I'm not sure to do about the below.

Willpower over Device Expertise - Devise expertise works on things like power cells, shield charges and hypos?

Tricorder scan or dampening field

Neural Neutralizer of Hypospray Melorazine

Improve Flank damage or Resistance

Nanite Health Monitor or Vascular Regenerator (My science boff has both equipped)

Offensive Mastery vs Defensive Master

• Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I think it's a big mistake that they don't let you re-spec for free. I can even see getting 10 account based
    Hello everyone,

What I'm looking for -

1.)

It looks like the link to your space skill tree is broke Odin.

Sorry,thats what I get for not double checking.....Fixed..Also thankyou for looking its over.Mine

Also...they do let you respec once for free..2 times if you count your initial first spec.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    I have a couple questions on the Science ground skill options. I've spent my ground points to mimic the DPS League guide.

I took Medical Tricorder over Dylovene
    I took Electro-Grav over Sonic Pulse
    Improved Aim
    Furious Footwork

What I'm not sure to do about the below.

Willpower over Device Expertise - Devise expertise works on things like power cells, shield charges and hypos?

Tricorder scan or dampening field

Neural Neutralizer of Hypospray Melorazine

Improve Flank damage or Resistance

Nanite Health Monitor or Vascular Regenerator (My science boff has both equipped)

Offensive Mastery vs Defensive Master

devices expertise is way better than willpower, improve flank dmg over resistance and offensive over defensive mastery.

the other choices are just the possible things you could create through rnd and you dont have to spend those points now.

for a ground build check our ground builds too at sto-league.com :)