test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Exothermic DOFFs and Endothermic Modules from the Winter Event Store

drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
Simple question for those in the know, does the Exothermic BOFFs (Geologist, Charol from Summer Event, Halla Vuk from wheverever) buffs to Exothermic Induction Field apply to the Endothermic Induction Field?
Post edited by drakethewhite on

Comments

• Options
    boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    It's a question I was too afraid to ask.

My gut says "no", but I'd like to be pleasantly proven wrong.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Why afraid? The simple answer is that, no it doesn't (at least as far as I could tell.) Sometimes analogous kit powers are buffed by the same doffs (ex. Turrets) but other times that's not the case (ex. Drones). You've just got to check case by case.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Great question...
    Why afraid? The simple answer is that, no it doesn't (at least as far as I could tell.) Sometimes analogous kit powers are buffed by the same doffs (ex. Turrets) but other times that's not the case (ex. Drones). You've just got to check case by case.

People are always afraid to look stupid or get chastised by the community for asking a question that may have an obvious answer.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Great question...

People are always afraid to look stupid or get chastised by the community for asking a question that may have an obvious answer.

Aye, I've had people jump down my throat a few times before for asking questions in STO. Now I tend to just sit back and see if I can dig up the answer myself, with varying degrees of success.

But thanks for the answer, @duncanidaho11! Now I know... though I still plan to use some of those. The Endothermic space skill I do know is still effected by all other exotic damage and deflector stuff, and that's something I definitely can (and want) to take advantage of.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    What is an exothermic boff? Or do you mean Doff?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I think he means the doffs that reduce the CD of that skill
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    I think he means the doffs that reduce the CD of that skill

Yes indeed, corrected the title.
  • Options
    askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    According to the tooltips at least, none of those DOffs work on the endothermic module, not the root effect from Charal, nor the cooldown reductions, nor the explosive projectiles. I'm sure at least some of these used to work but I guess they've been patched out.
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Considering the fact that endothermic and exothermic are opposites, it would both make no sense at all, and make a lot of sense - after all, to be on opposite ends, you have to be in the same field. Still, within the logic of PC games I would always venture to go for "no" with such a question. Still a valid one.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    *looks at it in-game* Well, I do know that Endo at least benefits from the resist debuff doffs. The Risians that root don't seem to work. The CD reduction doffs apparently don't work with Endo either.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Your Character cannot equip Kit Modules Endothermic and Exothermic at the same time. Why not? Perhaps the game treats them as the same thing and as you cannot slot two of the same type Modules into your frame. It is a no go. If that is the case then the Doffs should work, but they don't. So is there an inconsistentcy there?

Which then leads me to why doesn't the Na'kuhl Daemosh Science Vessel's Ultimate Ship Mastery, Scavenger Beam, buff Tractor Beam Repulsors as it does Tractor Beam? Just a Tractor Beam that pushes instead of pulls. What about with Graga Mal? He converts TBR to pull.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Your Character cannot equip Kit Modules Endothermic and Exothermic at the same time. Why not? Perhaps the game treats them as the same thing and as you cannot slot two of the same type Modules into your frame. It is a no go. If that is the case then the Doffs should work, but they don't. So is there an inconsistentcy there?

Well, since they are opposite things, it may just not be logical for them to function simultaneously at all. Depending on the technobabble what apart from the names there is actually going on, which I don't know.
    Which then leads me to why doesn't the Na'kuhl Daemosh Science Vessel's Ultimate Ship Mastery, Scavenger Beam, buff Tractor Beam Repulsors as it does Tractor Beam? Just a Tractor Beam that pushes instead of pulls. What about with Graga Mal? He converts TBR to pull.

From different things mentioned here, it seems that Tractor Beam and Tractor Repulsor operate on different technologies. Which makes the TBR-invertor a bit iffy, and again I don't know the technobabble behind it all.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Tractor Beam Repulsors and Tractor Beam are different abilities in game too, so why should a doff/Trait that buffs one also buff the other?! Graga Mal doesn't affect the Tractor Beam ability either.

Thematically, TB and TBR should be in the same group, yes; but they're not.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    a lot of things that are similar will use doffs though. But it's based on level of similarity. For ground, usually things that you have to choose between are that similar. For example: Hyperonic Radiation, and Neutronic, the various upgraded mortars and turrets. The Herald overcharge is a great example here since it's a placeable but not similar enough to replace either. You don't have to choose between it and regular turrets and it doesn't benefit from doffs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I am going to be 'that guy' mention that not only are "exotherminc" and "endothermic" different... they're exact opposites :sweat_smile:.

Now, if a Doff said it affected "all thermal effects", I'd be running tests to verify that's true. 'Cause you might be on to something awesome there :).
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Tractor Beam Repulsors and Tractor Beam are different abilities in game too, so why should a doff/Trait that buffs one also buff the other?! Graga Mal doesn't affect the Tractor Beam ability either.

Thematically, TB and TBR should be in the same group, yes; but they're not.

I don't think we're looking at a huge failure of in-game logic that its hard to snatch parts and spare nuts-n-bolts off an enemy ship with a beam that pushes stuff away ;). That's kind of an important "just a" you're throwing around. Like saying "Please push the salt away from me so I can use it to season my vegies." You may encounter some difficulty with that.

Now, if they coded things so the inverted repulsors did work with the Scavenger Beam trait... that would be hi-larious :).

But if you really need a fridge-logic explanation, I'd say Scavenger Beam represents some amazingly precision work. And the difference between Scavenger Beam tactics on normal tractor beams and inverted repulsors is like the difference between a pickpocket and a cattle drive: namely, subtlety.

• Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    I don't think we're looking at a huge failure of in-game logic that its hard to snatch parts and spare nuts-n-bolts off an enemy ship with a beam that pushes stuff away ;). That's kind of an important "just a" you're throwing around. Like saying "Please push the salt away from me so I can use it to season my vegies." You may encounter some difficulty with that.

I was thinking along the same lines (not too surprising since we already did that with the endo-exo-difference, where I was thinking of another example: you wouldn't think a medication helping you against hypertension would also help against hypotension.), but the description of the trait and its effects actually don't need a pull vs push distinction. The name does, certainly.
  • Options
    ((tips hat)) Yeah, on closer reading of the thread, you beat me to the exo/endo joke by several hours :).

The game treats hit points (and many other things) like some sort of magic liquid you can just move around in technobabble cups. But names have power, and "scavenger beam" seems like a pretty clear statement of design intent/what's being modeled.

And sounds bad*** too :). Never underestimate the value of evocative language in game design!