test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Commodities Still of Value?

So, I'm sitting on notable stocks of most commodities, having squirreled them away for fleet holdings. Turns out, that didn't really pan out. ;) My question is, contraband and Gamma quadrant commodities aside, are any of the commodities worth stocking? I know a few are needed here and there for DOff assignments, and I could see keeping some medical provisions and regular provisions around for that purpose, but the rest are so seldom needed that it seems worth it to me to liquidate my supplies to free up bank space. Is there an angle I'm missing (and would therefore regret after selling off)?

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Good idea. You'll need to replicate a few here and there but the extra bank space is worth a lot.

It's worth keeping the colonist and medical ones (food, medical, antigens), shield generators for the dil mining engineering one.

What else for the cluster colonization chains?
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    My opinion (this will almost entirely be an opinion post) is that they have killed commodities. It was kind of fun (for some of us) to travel around to the different ports of call, do a little clever buying, maybe with a Ferengi, maybe not, and then feel like you did something useful for the Fleet. Now it is very bland (also my opinion) and blandness is never, ever a good thing in a game about adventure and exploration.

Sure, EC is easy to donate, even if it is at what seem to be inflated prices. Sure it saves time that might have been wasted (the opinion of others ...) in travelling around trying to get good deals. So why not do it with all the donations ...? It can have the texture of an overcooked noodle, if they want it to. Commodities are now sadly, for sure and truly a waste of effort. (imho)

It is also my opinion that contraband will follow at some point, as it is so useful it draws attention to itself.

Tuffli and Cell ships are nerfed as a result. Ferengi are nerfed as a result. Who cares if you can get cheap commodities when commodities don't matter at all? Nobody! May as well make the Tuffli a 'skin' for the Miranda, and put it in the Latinum market ... oh ... wait ...

If you want to stock the things you will need for Duty Officer missions I can see the point in getting the best deal, but since the Fleet projects are going with what seems (to me) to be the replicator value, why not just accept that it is all basically a replicator economy?

Tour the Galaxy (till they nerf it) get a million EC and replicate everything you need. We don't need vendors, so they can get replaced by more useful NPCs. (Put big replicators there instead! May as well!) The sooner we accept that all we need is Tour the Galaxy and a replicator, the sooner they can look at replacing all those useless NPCs, and we can get something (Better? Worse? Who knows?) else!

Marauding as KDF ? Yeah ... only till they finally go after contraband, then forget it.

Gamma Quadrant items ... they should watch their backs as well ...

So now, all my sour grapes exposed .. I say this; If there is a shred of fun in doing it, then do it for that reason. If you like buying in bulk, and stockpiling, and it works for you, I am all for you doing it. The fun got sucked out of it for me, but we all all different. It is your game when you play it, play it your way. ;)

Qapla!
  • Options
    Good idea. You'll need to replicate a few here and there but the extra bank space is worth a lot.

It's worth keeping the colonist and medical ones (food, medical, antigens), shield generators for the dil mining engineering one.

What else for the cluster colonization chains?

Or just make all that take EC in the next patch? ;)

No offense, I am leaving now, I hope ... :)

Qapla!
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    It is also my opinion that contraband will follow at some point, as it is so useful it draws attention to itself.

(snip)

Marauding as KDF ? Yeah ... only till they finally go after contraband, then forget it.

Not that I don't agree with you, but 'will follow' and 'only till they finally' kind of implies they haven't already and I most certainly would class the time for "Turn In Contraband" being kicked up by sixteen hours in the 'going after contraband' category, myself.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The devs specifically stated they did not base the conversion on replicator prices.

OK. Even still it seems higher than I would like, and I don't say this to argue. I say it because that is how it seems to me.

Qapla!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

(snip)

Not that I don't agree with you, but 'will follow' and 'only till they finally' kind of implies they haven't already and I most certainly would class the time for "Turn In Contraband" being kicked up by sixteen hours in the 'going after contraband' category, myself.

Yeah, but I suspect they haven't even got started with that yet ... not really. What you say sounds like a genuine prophecy.

Ahhh shoot! I was going to stay away from this one ...

Qapla!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Just do EC for everything. We can fly blocks of EC around the galaxy, shooting EC at other blocks of EC. maybe they will do loot drops of EC? We can slot that in our blocks of EC to do even more EC to our opponents. ;)

Qapla!

'Can't stop posting ... to much baggage ... to cross-eyed stuck to ... pull out of this descent ... hull temperature rising ... stabilizers failing ... must use slingshot effect ... to break free ... maximum warp on ... my mark ... '

'And that is how we found him, bleached of all color under a huge pile of EC ...'

OK, I am done. Kahless help me ...
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    If the exploration clusters are ever opened again, then there might be some increased demand for commodities due to various "aid" missions... But as it is, stockpiling does not seem to be worth the effort and inventory slots, as you can usually easily get enough credits to replicate whatever amount of commodities (at least the common ones) that you need.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    yakodym wrote: »
    If the exploration clusters are ever opened again, then there might be some increased demand for commodities due to various "aid" missions... But as it is, stockpiling does not seem to be worth the effort and inventory slots, as you can usually easily get enough credits to replicate whatever amount of commodities (at least the common ones) that you need.
    The former exploration clusters all have doffing assignments to donate various commodities which are still available. The way to look at those resources now is that they simply correspond to the doffing system. You can get as many commodities as you need for doffing from other doffing assignments. Vendors exist to supplement. No additional systems are necessary.

And it should be worth noting that this is how commodities worked before fleet holdings were added in season 6 (minus one "exploration" assignment, which you could complete by using the replicator.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    they can be used for commendation xp in clusters. I think 1 Fleet Rep project is still asking for Entertainment Provisions? Think they missed this one during the conversion. Most is just vendor trash now thou.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    There was never any point in stocking them. If you had just bought them on demand as you should've, you wouldn't be asking this now.

You can maybe get a little above vendor price selling provisions, medical supplies and industrial energy cells on the ex because common dil-awarding doff assignments require them (for now). Otherwise, garbage.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    There was never any point in stocking them. If you had just bought them on demand as you should've, you wouldn't be asking this now.

You can maybe get a little above vendor price selling provisions, medical supplies and industrial energy cells on the ex because common dil-awarding doff assignments require them (for now). Otherwise, garbage.

I disagree that there was 'never, any point, but there sure isn't any point now. I would ditch the excess not directly useful for Doffs, and I would be worried about keeping a lot that as well.

Qapla!
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    There was never any point in stocking them.

Patently untrue, though perhaps I worded my original post poorly. I never bought up supplies of commodities, I've just been saving what I got from marauding; saving myself a trip to the Embassy while still contributing to fleet projects as the came up was definitely worth it. I saved some time and money versus buying on demand. Also, when I say 'liquidate,' I do mean selling off to a vendor; it's almost certainly not worth the effort to try to wring the slightly-over-vendor margin out of the Exchange.

• Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Are these still being sold in the exchange?​​