test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

K-13 interior

ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
So what's the trick to entering station K-13? I'm used to having a 'Dock' option for the other fleet assets (lab/mine/starbase) but I'm just not getting one.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Getting it to Tier 1 so there's something to dock at is a start.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I was hoping that getting a K13 branch to tier one would do the trick, after all what good is a store unlock if you can't visit the store? Surely Cryptic wouldn't do something like that would they? Silly me thinking that they wouldn't. Still no docking options :( Looks like another week until I get to see the interior.

Edit: Wow. So by that mechanic you could get tier three in both science and engineering branches, foregoing the K13 upgrades for a bit, and never get to see the interior of the base or use the stores. Kind'a screwy if you ask me.
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Technically yes you could, but if the fleet leadership is decent why would they?
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Post to get the unmentionable one away.
  • Options
    ilithyn wrote: »
    Technically yes you could, but if the fleet leadership is decent why would they?

Why would I forego upgrades? Well I'm soloing my kdf starbase and those upgrades are the single most dilithium intensive projects there are. I've been dumping almost all I earned for the last three years into it and am still not done. So when it comes to throwing that dilithium into projects I've a set of priorities and preferences. Progressing the starbase XP to get to those upgrades has to be done first and progression stops at the branch upgrade points but not the main upgrade points. So I actually had the branches for my spire and embassy at T3 before queueing up any main upgrades. And the starbase itself... I didn't queue up the T2, T3 & T4 upgrades until all the branches were already T4. The only reason I did the T1 upgrade quick was to unlock the DOff store and if it wouldn't have been for the loss of XP due to the cap I might even of held off on the others until the branches were T5.

And off the top of my head, there aren't many store items unlocked from the main upgrades - they're almost all from the branches. So not doing the upgrades wasn't a huge issue for every holding *except* K13.

So there are reasons why advancement would happen that way. At least there *were* reasons. Why K13 differs from every other holding kind'a stymies me.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    actually it's NOT the only one
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    fftt wrote: »

Why would I forego upgrades? Well I'm soloing my kdf starbase and those upgrades are the single most dilithium intensive projects there are.

Hard to have sympathy here... you're trying to solo something which should be done by groups of tens or hundreds, and complaining it's prohibitive?

Fleet system is like lockbox/lobi items; you need it for the absolute top-tier stuff, but you can make a perfectly decent character without it.
  • Options
    staq16 wrote: »
    Hard to have sympathy here... you're trying to solo something which should be done by groups of tens or hundreds, and complaining it's prohibitive?

Fleet system is like lockbox/lobi items; you need it for the absolute top-tier stuff, but you can make a perfectly decent character without it.

Not complaining about it being prohibitive per se. It is what it is, although I might complain about the lack of documentation. Even something as simple as "Unlocks: Ship Selector, Retrofit Engineering Wing, Xenotechnology Wing, Biologist Facilities, **ACCESS TO DOCKING** or **ACCESS TO BRANCH STORE UNLOCKS**" would've saved me a question on the forums. Ya'know to let players like me know that unlike the other holdings they only get the outside until the first big upgrade. Being flummoxed about a game mechanic (with no explanation on why an unlocked store in inaccessible) is different than complaining about it. If I'm going to complain about anything in STO first and foremost it would be "Server Not Responding" followed by all the other bugs. If K13 is working as it should then, again, it is what it is.

And I'm not expecting sympathy. I undertook this knowing full well what I was getting in to and think I'm doing well enough thank you very much. I've been in three armadas now and have been the smallest fleet in each yet been third highest fleet level (current level 55) behind what another player I know labels the 'Megafleets'. I knew it would take time and as it turns out it's taking me less time than most other fleets I've seen out there.

As to what's actually in the K13 stores... Yeah - from the descriptions I'll pass. I was more interested in looking at any changes to the interior as it advanced than what's in the stores. Although I'm keeping an open mind until I actually see the stats on the items.

My post was only to answer the question about why 'decent' fleet leaders may want to pick and choose the order of the upgrades and not do the main upgrades as they became immediately available.