test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What about the old kits after the revamp?

bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
There are still some old kits that grant you abilities instead of having module slots.

The new season will bring a kit revamp, kit frames will be independent from modules and you'll get 5 universal module slots that don't require a kit frame to function.

So, what about the old kits after the revamp? Will they still grant abilities? Will we be able to upgrade them?

I tested in on tribble and they are useless items that lose all their abilities. That's why I'm asking, are they just gonna become deprecated items we should delete? or is there any plan for them?

Best Answer

Answers

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    The old kits still function the same way. They have some unexpected effects in places like Bug Hunt. One of the old Engineer Kits has a Shield Dome which the Bugs are unable to penetrate or shoot through.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    The old kits still function the same way. They have some unexpected effects in places like Bug Hunt. One of the old Engineer Kits has a Shield Dome which the Bugs are unable to penetrate or shoot through.

I tested it on tribble and those old kits and they lose all their abilities. that's why I'm asking.

• officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Is this a console question?

Or is there a kit revamp for PC? I havent heard of this. We had a kit revamp like 2 or 3 years ago.

Is there a link to an official blog i can get updated with?
    edited October 2016
    There is a new kit revamp incoming:
    Kit Revamp:
    • Kits and Kit Modules have been revamped to change how Kit Modules are equipped and to support Upgrading.
    • Characters no longer put Kit Modules into a Kit, but directly equip them on their Status page.
    • Kits now only give passive skill increases.
      • Kits with unique effects will continue to provide those effects
      • Kit Modules can still be equipped to give distinct abilities
    • Characters may now equip 5 Kit Modules regardless of level.
      • The distinctions between Fabrication / Mechanic, Research / Medic, and Strategic / Assault Kit Modules have been removed.
    • Kits and most Kit Modules can now be Upgraded.
      • Kits can be upgraded to a maximum of Mk 14 Gold Quality.
      • Standard Kit Modules can be upgraded to a maximum of Mk 14 Ultraviolet Quality.
      • Kits Modules from Lockboxes, Reputations, and the Winter / Summer Events can be upgraded in Mk, but not Quality.
      • All copies of these Kit Modules will be set to Gold Quality.
      • Specialization Kit Modules, as well as Crystalline Spike, Jam Subspace Transmissions, Chroniton Jolt, and Subspace Rift cannot be Upgraded.

78iCUwp.jpg
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Okay, but how do we re-acquire old kits. Like I have a purple mk XII Nanite Health Regenerator ability on my Sci cap - got lucky on a random mission drop - how do I get that one again? Plus stuff like winter/summer event kit modules and 23rd c we've already bought, do we have to buy them again or what?
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    ilithyn wrote: »
    Okay, but how do we re-acquire old kits. Like I have a purple mk XII Nanite Health Regenerator ability on my Sci cap - got lucky on a random mission drop - how do I get that one again? Plus stuff like winter/summer event kit modules and 23rd c we've already bought, do we have to buy them again or what?

You are not gonna lose any kit module.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    bioixi wrote: »

Thanks for the answer. This had me worried knowing Cryptic as I do, so this is relief to hear.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,605 Arc User
    "Ultraviolet"? Is that a typo for Ultra Rare, or a hint about a new level above Epic?
    Its always been ultra violet, each rarity has a color.
    White is common, green is uncommon, blue is rare, purple is very rare, ultra violet is ultra rare (yeah that sounds weird just saying it), and gold is epic.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    It looks like they just changed the interface. All kits and modules are still there, the main difference is that they can be upgraded (and most automatically were).

It's slightly annoying though that fleet modules apparently can not be upgraded in rarity. These modules will always remain lower in rarity than reputation and other modules although they are higher in level for some reason...
    For example, my chroniton mine barrier MK 12 UR quality cannot be upgraded... so apparently I will still need to buy a better version from the fleet stores. Same for things like Shield recharge, MK 13 UR which cannot be further upgraded to epic quality. I don't really understand this difference, it seems illogical not to allow fleet modules to be upgraded in rarity, fleet gear should always be the best quality imo.

Anyway, perhaps it's for the best. Cause I really hope that this whole thing won't bring more power creep to the ground part of the game. Some of the new kit abilities on Holodeck already seem overpowered, we really don't need more of it. Seeing all these epic modules in my inventory got me a bit worried at the same time therefore.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    "Ultraviolet"? Is that a typo for Ultra Rare, or a hint about a new level above Epic?

Each item rarity has a color and a rarity designation.

White = Common
    Green = Uncommon
    Blue = Rare
    Purple = Very Rare
    Ultraviolet = Ultra Rare
    Epic = Gold

So Ultraviolet is the designation for that weird look that Fleet equipment uses.
    starkaos wrote: »

Each item rarity has a color and a rarity designation.

White = Common
    Green = Uncommon
    Blue = Rare
    Purple = Very Rare
    Ultraviolet = Ultra Rare
    Epic = Gold

So Ultraviolet is the designation for that weird look that Fleet equipment uses.

I think he was well aware of that, but this stuff used to be called 'violet' in the past, or ultra rare. They mixed both terms this time :)
    By the way, i think a kit module revamp is completely unnecessary, we dont need that.
    Sure make them upgradable for those who get gratification from maxxing out their stuff unnecessarily, but the whole thing doesnt need revamping.

I guess its nice also to have all slots be universal so i dont have to play sofie's choice with my favorite modules.
    By the way, i think a kit module revamp is completely unnecessary, we dont need that.
    Sure make them upgradable for those who get gratification from maxxing out their stuff unnecessarily, but the whole thing doesnt need revamping.

I guess its nice also to have all slots be universal so i dont have to play sofie's choice with my favorite modules.

You then listed two reasons why we need it :)

Have you looked at the prices for Very Rare kit modules on the exchange? I had a spare Mk XIII and sold it for I think 6 million.

I think the whole thing of making everything universal is a bit pointless though, or at least it shouldn't be the priority. It's all nice that you'll be able to use, say, 5 medic modules or 5 mechanic modules, but in reality it doesn't make a whole lot difference since most things like the different variants of chroniton mines that are available simply share their cooldowns.

So in the end we're still very limited on what we can and can not equip at the same time. I think it would make a much larger difference if they changed these shared cooldowns, rather than the universality (?) and types of the modules.

Oh well. As long as they try not to add more power creep and keep careers separate, I don't really mind what other changes they do or do not make.
    risian4 wrote: »
    It's slightly annoying though that fleet modules apparently can not be upgraded in rarity. These modules will always remain lower in rarity than reputation and other modules although they are higher in level for some reason...
    One of the devs actually spoke about this on Reddit.

Basically, fleet kit modules were designed from the beginning to be as good as they were ever supposed to get, and thus, have no real upgrade data.

They COULD be upgraded technically, but doing so would just you the exact same item since they have no data for upgraded stats.

BEcuase of that, they just turned upgrading off for fleet kit modules.

Hm I guess that makes sense. To a certain degree. Cause I still think it's weird that we will be able to upgrade them to MK 14, cause if they really were designed to be the best of the best from the onset, then getting it to 14 wouldn't be (and, following the same logic, shouldn't be) necessary either.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    bioixi wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer. This had me worried knowing Cryptic as I do, so this is relief to hear.
    Just to be safe I'm gonna have all of my characters empty their kit frames the day before the revamp hits live. One side effect is that you can no longer use spare kit frames to store modules.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    That is the kicker. This is the secondary focus of this Update, basically negating one aspect of the last Kit Update where you loaded Modules onto the Frames. That removal did not need to be done for this Upgrade Kit/Module change. It was done because they found that people were using the Kits as mini-Inventories, essentially getting free storage.

One of my Federation Science Characters has 14 Kits with 65 Modules loaded, each with a different focus with some duplicate Modules. Upon transfer to Tribble, I had 13 Frames and 51 Modules with my Inventory completely filled and dozens of Modules in the Overflow Bag. All of my Characters have a few additional Frames loaded with Modules. This will not go well.

Now you just wait and see. On the day this Update goes live, expect a Services Sale in the C-Store.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    That is the kicker. This is the secondary focus of this Update, basically negating one aspect of the last Kit Update where you loaded Modules onto the Frames. That removal did not need to be done for this Upgrade Kit/Module change. It was done because they found that people were using the Kits as mini-Inventories, essentially getting free storage.

One of my Federation Science Characters has 14 Kits with 65 Modules loaded, each with a different focus with some duplicate Modules. Upon transfer to Tribble, I had 13 Frames and 51 Modules with my Inventory completely filled and dozens of Modules in the Overflow Bag. All of my Characters have a few additional Frames loaded with Modules. This will not go well.

Now you just wait and see. On the day this Update goes live, expect a Services Sale in the C-Store.

I definitely don't look forward to the extra inventory clog... Looks like I'm going to have to start deleting some I just haven't found much use for in a long time, it's just going to be too much... But if they really want to be nice about things, I say give away one unlock of inventory/bank space as compensation for this change. But unfortunately what you say is probably going to prove true instead.

I definitely don't look forward to the extra inventory clog... Looks like I'm going to have to start deleting some I just haven't found much use for in a long time, it's just going to be too much... But if they really want to be nice about things, I say give away one unlock of inventory/bank space as compensation for this change. But unfortunately what you say is probably going to prove true instead.

I don't see why they would -- kits were not intended to be free storage space, some people just figured out that trick.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

Hm I guess that makes sense. To a certain degree. Cause I still think it's weird that we will be able to upgrade them to MK 14, cause if they really were designed to be the best of the best from the onset, then getting it to 14 wouldn't be (and, following the same logic, shouldn't be) necessary either.

Even if the stats were exactly the same, just labeling Fleet kit modules Mk 14 would remove the question form people's mind and save an explanation which they may or may not get (en mass.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    They never seem to figure out anything.

Oh, let's create Mark Boxes. People are saving them up for Bonus Mark Weekends. Let's make them auto-open.

Cr*p, we used the older code for Delta Rising for the Delta Alliance Reputation Mark awards, we never fixed it, a Bonus Mark Weekend is coming up in two weeks and we can't implement the auto-open in time, Let's remove the Daily Bonus Mark award from eligibility for the Bonus Weekend because some out there may get nearly 1,200 extra Bonus Delta Marks. [Two weeks after the Bonus Weekend they implemented the auto-open.] Now even though those Daily Bonuses were 'earned' during the Bonus Weekend they won't get that Bonus.

People are saving their Tier V Reputation Mark Awards for cash-in during Bonus Mark Weekends. Ditto for the Dilitium Award for Tier V (though mutually exclusive as you don't get Bonus Mark and Bonus Dilitium Weekends at the same time). Take away eligibility for that.

People are saving up their extra Reputation Elite Marks for Dilitium cash-in during Bonus Dilitium Weekends. Let's make those turn-ins 'valuable' all year long by removing their eligibility for the Bonus.

Blah-blah for the Crystalline, Mirror, etc. Event awards. They are not putting the final special item into the Event Project until Bonus <Fill in the Blank> Weekend. Remove their eligibility.

Let's make Kits load Modules. People are using Kits to store the plethora of Kits we have showered them with. No more storing Modules in Kits.

I think you get the idea.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Pessimistic much?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    All of those are examples of people gaming the system, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people doing it were doing it with farming alts. Probably a fair number of gold sellers too.

They are clever tricks that most "normal" casual players wouldn't think to do.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    They never seem to figure out anything.

Oh, let's create Mark Boxes. People are saving them up for Bonus Mark Weekends. Let's make them auto-open.

Cr*p, we used the older code for Delta Rising for the Delta Alliance Reputation Mark awards, we never fixed it, a Bonus Mark Weekend is coming up in two weeks and we can't implement the auto-open in time, Let's remove the Daily Bonus Mark award from eligibility for the Bonus Weekend because some out there may get nearly 1,200 extra Bonus Delta Marks. [Two weeks after the Bonus Weekend they implemented the auto-open.] Now even though those Daily Bonuses were 'earned' during the Bonus Weekend they won't get that Bonus.

People are saving their Tier V Reputation Mark Awards for cash-in during Bonus Mark Weekends. Ditto for the Dilitium Award for Tier V (though mutually exclusive as you don't get Bonus Mark and Bonus Dilitium Weekends at the same time). Take away eligibility for that.

People are saving up their extra Reputation Elite Marks for Dilitium cash-in during Bonus Dilitium Weekends. Let's make those turn-ins 'valuable' all year long by removing their eligibility for the Bonus.

Blah-blah for the Crystalline, Mirror, etc. Event awards. They are not putting the final special item into the Event Project until Bonus <Fill in the Blank> Weekend. Remove their eligibility.

Let's make Kits load Modules. People are using Kits to store the plethora of Kits we have showered them with. No more storing Modules in Kits.

Well the bonus weekends are apparently intended to be wholly irrelevant, any method of actually interacting with them is to be blocked. I don't really get it. Why then do they exist at all? In Cryptic's place, I would've removed the bonus weekends completely, long before going to the lenghts they have gone in nerfing them into irrelevance.

But I don't really see the kit issue to be anything like. Loading modules into kits was always a pain in the neck, and doubly so if you stored your spare modules in spare kits. Removing the need to do that is a plus as far as I'm concerned, even if that means I need a few extra bank slots for it.

Although I'd like them to look into giving boffs kits while they're at it. Some of those forever-banked modules might see some use, then.
    edited October 2016
    The bonus dil weekends are for casuals to get a bit of extra dil from story, red alerts and queues and encourage them to play a bit longer while they get the bonus.

Kit modules for doffs: training manuals has that covered. At least the regular kit modules are account bound, so you can put them on a new alt until it gets something better from rep or fleet.
    yeah bonus weekends are for people to grind DURING the weekend. Not for people to grind before hand and convert currency....

So on bonus dil weekend any runs you do of the Voth BZ will grant bonus dil, mining will grant bonus dil, etc... Stuff you saved from months ago? not so much...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Also, with training manuals doffs can carry every possible skill with them, without using any inventory slots. So I'd rather keep the current doffs powers system than switch them to needing kit modules.
    Ok, I'll bite. When is a Kit Module not a Kit Module? When your Character puts it into his/hers 'Knowledge' Bank. Similar to Boff Skill Manuals but not consumed, when in there they do not take up Inventory and are assignable into the five slots like Doff Skills are. [New Fleet Unlock - sixth Kit Slot.] They can be removed to be upgraded (if possible) but then take an Inventory slot. If they are Account Bound they can also be taken out to move around to other Characters in the Account.

See current Kelvin Lockbox Cold Fusion Flash Kit Module and its Boff equivalent the Cold Fusion Flash Training Manuals.

How do you save Dilithium from Months ago? Marks are the better example. Now that those Mark Boxes self-open you have none left over from the before-times. The Marks you get, including the Daily Bonus, is earned DURING the Bonus Marks Weekend. What they have done has nerfed the Bonus too much. Now unless you do PVE Queues the types of rewards that are eligible for the Bonus are small potatoes.

As far as Kits go, I have a few loaded with Modules for most Characters and one of my Science Characters has 14 different ones loaded with 4 to 5 Modules each. Each Kit has a different focus, say Intelligence, or Command, or Healing, or Control, or Cold Damage, or Temporal, or.... A couple of the different Damage type Kits may have the Elachi Subspace Rift in it, etc. Swapping a pre-loaded kit is easier than juggling around Modules.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns