Install Arc
Options

This is Incredible; 3D Printing Our In-Game Ships

2»

Comments

• Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    It would be nice to have my character's ship, with its' name, registry # proper & the Borgy-bits on it, but if they intend to sell for so much ($80 +).. yeah, it's not something I'd be able to even afford. Shame, because the idea is a good one. Sometimes, asking for less gets you more actually. Being way too greedy cuts you out of profit more often than not.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    I went to the cake ship and got a "3D printed model of my ship" and it...it...it was delicious. I miss my 3D printed model of my ship now though. Can I get a non-edible version yet please?

:p
  • Options
    pmaddenpmadden Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    any more news on this?
    was wanting one for Xmas.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    pmadden wrote: »
    any more news on this?

Not even sure that Ecl3D company exists anymore.
    Last of their "official" activities:
    Facebook: november 2015
    Twitter: january 2016
    Their own website: july 2016
    And the mailing list you can subscribe to? Nothing, ever.

Additionally cryptic also never spoke of it again, so really I don't think thats going to be a thing.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    You can't get sued for giving someone a "gift" especially so if you are not making a profit.

I wouldn't be so sure. It is a heavily debated field, and you may be right, but you should always consider that CBS may think otherwise and start sueing you. You may win after a couple of years, but can you carry the legal costs? Also, you may not win...

Creating something of an IP for yourself isn't a problem. Making something for a friend neither. But once you're starting "advertising" on a public forum (and no, "fellow STO people" doesn't count as "friends") and starting to ask for money (even if it's only costs), things get very muddled, and those companies are very protective about their IPs, because once they let something slip that they're aware of, they're setting a precedent that can erode their position. So they'll rather fight and lose than let it just pass. (Legal differences may apply on depending where you live, but also where the recipient lives).
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I think I will pay somebody to do that for me. Will probably come out better that way as well.

Which is generally a good starting point, if you can afford to pay for something. If you actually enjoy DIY, just go ahead. If you enjoy to see something you made, even if not perfect, just do it. If not, doing something only to have it done will cost time you're not enjoying (or at least earning money directly), and more often than not you will have a less desirable outcome.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    pmadden wrote: »
    any more news on this?

Still awaiting 24th century replicator technological developments before billing through the Latinum Exchange.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Way to necro a thread for this subject. Been dead for a few months yo.