test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO on consoles, My honest opinion

dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
After playing Star Trek Online on PC for a few years now, I figured I would try out the console version for the PS4. Right from the start, there is no account linking. Everything I earned on the PC version I have to earn all over again. Okay, fine.....They wanted to make everything fair for everyone, right? No. It's because the consoles won't get the updates as fast as PC does. So I played as a Romulan, since the Rommies are my favorite species in Star Trek. As I try to get adjusted to the controls, I want to make my target reticle move faster, so I check the options and crank that slider all the way. As I leave the options, the camera is now further away. I thought I messed up, so I go back and try and fix it. But nope. To make the reticle move faster, the camera zooms out. Bummer. That's a negative. I go ahead and grab my pistol from the locker and try shooting the vases. It seems the devs tried a hybrid of tab targeting with shooter mode. VERY FRUSTRATING. I continue to power through it. hoping it's just me getting used to the controller scheme. So I finally get to space combat.....something for me that'll either make or break this port. No way to zoom in or out. No option to adjust the power levels to MY favorite settings. (MAJOR NEGATIVE POINTS) The "power wheels" are just to convoluted to even use. I tried to use the cloaking for my T'Liss before I started a battle, but guess what? NOTHING HAPPENED. (Another negative) It also seems that the ships turn slower than Voth Citadel ships do on PC. I finally get to the republic fleet and guess what, I can't even change around what abilities I want into the spots I want. There is absolutely ZERO customization.

I will try again and see if I can even get to like this port. But so far, if your wanting to play STO, just save yourself the hassle and just play it on PC. There is so much more that opens up on PC that you can NOT do on consoles.

Now there are some positives, at least the players from the console version will convert to the PC version when they tire of STO lite.
latest?cb=20141230104800&path-prefix=en

Comments

• nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I think it will take a while for pc players to get used to the control scheme on the console.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • zachattack2123zachattack2123 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    How about i paid over $4000 to this game... And they cant even transfer over my lifetime sub?... Shouldnt offering to pay them and play there game for my life mean anything to them?... atleast let me get my lifetime sub on console -.-
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    How about i paid over $4000 to this game... And they cant even transfer over my lifetime sub?... Shouldnt offering to pay them and play there game for my life mean anything to them?... atleast let me get my lifetime sub on console -.-

Would be nice, but Sony and Microsoft want their cut. Which is probably the actual reason why we can't transfer our C-Store ships and other C-Store/Pack bonuses instead of the official reason of making everything fair.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    You paid for the LTS on your PC..., only.
    If you want it for console, you'll have to pay again...
    IF They even offer that option.
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    You paid for the LTS on your PC..., only.
    If you want it for console, you'll have to pay again...
    IF They even offer that option.
    <shrug>

It is confirmed, but it looks to contain all the benefits of the LTS without being a Lifetime Subscription. Apparently, there are no subscriptions for the console versions.
    With the upcoming launch of Star Trek Online on console, we’re pleased to announce that our Xbox One and Playstation 4 Lifetime subscription will be available for a 33% sale from 9/6/16 at 8am – 9/20/16 at 10am!

Not sure what the actual cost of the LTS is due to there being no Zen Stipend.
  • cronoprimecronoprime Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    dragnridr wrote: »
    After playing Star Trek Online on PC for a few years now, I figured I would try out the console version for the PS4. Right from the start, there is no account linking. Everything I earned on the PC version I have to earn all over again. Okay, fine.....

That has been known for months that accounts don't transfer. You can "link" the account to get the WOK Khan outfit.
    So I finally get to space combat.....something for me that'll either make or break this port. No way to zoom in or out.

Hold down the X button, that brings up the quick menu. Move the highlight down to the Camera Zoom and hit x to change the zoom level. It's a toggle.
    No option to adjust the power levels to MY favorite settings. (MAJOR NEGATIVE POINTS)

That's right, I noticed that right away. No "equalized" or custom power levels, I hope they add those.
    I can't even change around what abilities I want into the spots I want. There is absolutely ZERO customization.

You CAN choose which skill goes into which color coded slot, when you bring up the ring menu look at the control legend at the bottom of it.
    Now there are some positives, at least the players from the console version will convert to the PC version when they tire of STO lite.

Not me, it runs better on the PS4 than under WINE on Linux on my PC.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    If this is console feedback, shouldn't it be in the console forums?
    That'd be great - if there were console forums.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    Did they change the captain skills or is that new for the consoles?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Did they change the captain skills or is that new for the consoles?

Can you clarify what you mean by change the captain skills?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • centricitycentricity Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    null
    My number one complaint is that I can't invert the y axis on the controller in the game options, that actually pissed me off lol
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    starkaos wrote: »
    Would be nice, but Sony and Microsoft want their cut. Which is probably the actual reason why we can't transfer our C-Store ships and other C-Store/Pack bonuses instead of the official reason of making everything fair.

Well, Cryptic also gets their cut, so they're dipping their hand on the cookie jar 3 times. Oh well, hopefully now they have enough money to maybe hire a couple of more people, fix most of this game's bugs, and maybe finally doing something about PvP.

I think pvp on console will be way better than on pc, it'll keep players honest no macros n stuff
  • phrog43942phrog43942 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    can console players play on a team with PC players?
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    phrog43942 wrote: »
    can console players play on a team with PC players?

Nope. Separate servers all together.

• maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    I don't suppose my main guy on the pc can craft some nice gear and send it to the ps4 guy through the mail ,
    Doubt it, it's a clean slate an refresher if you will & this time I'm doing it right, won't be running with 2626273737 ships and stuff
    null

Well in the PC version you could put a number of points into Energy Weapons and how many points you put into determines how much of a benefit you get.
    From what I've seen of the console version you can only put one point into it.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Well in the PC version you could put a number of points into Energy Weapons and how many points you put into determines how much of a benefit you get.
    From what I've seen of the console version you can only put one point into it.

I may be utterly wrong here, if so, please forgive me, but have you checked your skills lately? The system changed on PC, too. (Although still 3 levels of energy weapons)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • sith2011sith2011 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    centricity wrote: »
    null
    My number one complaint is that I can't invert the y axis on the controller in the game options, that actually pissed me off lol

I have to agree - pushing up to aim down and vise versa is not something my feeble mind can get used to.. Having that option to change would really make the space flight and battles much more enjoyable.. Static camera follow would also be a + in my books but it seems to be grey'd out right now...

I actually gave up after trying to complete the first space portion over 30 mins because I could not get used to the aiming and viewing..

I'm not complaining. Just noting it would be nice to have the option. :)
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    I toyed around with it...also as a Rom. The ground combat was pretty poor. First off, the shooter mode reticle being up all the time is just distracting. But mostly it was the target jumping while aiming. I always aim on PC. On Xbox, I'd aim and be locked on one target, take a shot, then target would jump to another target without any other prompting even when I hadnt finished killing my first target. Seemed buggy as hell.

In all fairness...i Hate shooter mode anyway..but I bet on PC you dont suddenly switch targets after taking a single shot at something.
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    One other thing I guess....it seems absolutely silly to not offer PC users "some" incentive or benefit of starting over on console. LTS transfering over. Some previous zen purchases, xp benefit...anything really. The best advertising they can have for this is the current player base and there's no incentive at all that I see.

I did see something about account linking when I finished the download but I think it was just to link my Xbox game to a PWE account. Maybe they re-thought that...but doubt it. I dont know either way because the linking wouldnt work.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    After playing around with it again, I have found that EVERYTHING that has been redone for the console port just screws EVERYTHING up. Where is the option to use the PC's UI if using a mouse and keyboard? No option to swtich between RPG and Shooter mode just like PC? Why can't I move a set of abilities from one button to another? Why isn't there an option to fire ALL weapons tied to ONE button? What about handling pets and other Universal consoles that require a separate power tray? Why can't I zoom in and out during space combat at will? Why can't I adjust the ship's power levels to the way I want them and not stuck to presets?

There are more issues than what I mentioned that really screams for the devs to yank this port back and fix these MAJOR GLARING issues. I understand the devs want to make STO easy for console players to jump in, but this MMO takes more controls than what consoles can provide.

I can't even get ANY enjoyment from this hot mess. So much screwed up and yet no incentive to bring PC players over either. At least let us, the PC players, copy our account over just like Tribble server. Tribble and Holodeck are separate servers, so what makes them different from Holodeck and console servers?

Until these issues and MUCH MORE are fixed, I can safely say that I WILL NOT be playing STO on consoles.
  • kamenridersaswordkamenridersasword Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    For those of us on PC were better off not bothering, but for folks who have never played but have the consoles it probably works alright
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    albert302 wrote: »
    as for me i was riped off i download it on to my xbox but i cant play it i have to pay for it that what it telling me to do so i was riped off so i well be leting my atterny now about it

lol.. Let us know what your 'atterny' has to say.

I'm sure he's really going to care about your dissatisfaction with a video game.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • hyrythium82hyrythium82 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2016
    I played on the PC a few years back but stopped because the toaster I have struggled with the framerate at times. Despite that I did get quite far into it. I was quite excited when I heard it was coming out on the PS4. I knew I couldn't port over my PC characters but thats ok. Unfortunately I am not sure whether I like the PS4 version very much. Space combat seems more awkward than i remember. I think if they want this to become popular on the PS4 they are going to have to do some more work. Still I will stick with it a while longer to see how it shapes up. I was pretty happy with the Neverwinter port so I'm willing to wait a bit.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,805 Community Moderator
    After playing Star Trek Online on PC for a few years now, I figured I would try out the console version for the PS4. Right from the start, there is no account linking. Everything I earned on the PC version I have to earn all over again. Okay, fine.....They wanted to make everything fair for everyone, right? No. It's because the consoles won't get the updates as fast as PC does. So I played as a Romulan, since the Rommies are my favorite species in Star Trek. As I try to get adjusted to the controls, I want to make my target reticle move faster, so I check the options and crank that slider all the way. As I leave the options, the camera is now further away. I thought I messed up, so I go back and try and fix it. But nope. To make the reticle move faster, the camera zooms out. Bummer. That's a negative. I go ahead and grab my pistol from the locker and try shooting the vases. It seems the devs tried a hybrid of tab targeting with shooter mode. VERY FRUSTRATING. I continue to power through it. hoping it's just me getting used to the controller scheme. So I finally get to space combat.....something for me that'll either make or break this port. No way to zoom in or out. No option to adjust the power levels to MY favorite settings. (MAJOR NEGATIVE POINTS) The "power wheels" are just to convoluted to even use. I tried to use the cloaking for my T'Liss before I started a battle, but guess what? NOTHING HAPPENED. (Another negative) It also seems that the ships turn slower than Voth Citadel ships do on PC. I finally get to the republic fleet and guess what, I can't even change around what abilities I want into the spots I want. There is absolutely ZERO customization.

I will try again and see if I can even get to like this port. But so far, if your wanting to play STO, just save yourself the hassle and just play it on PC. There is so much more that opens up on PC that you can NOT do on consoles.

The account linking doesn't transfer anything over to console because the console release is not target towards PC players. For the last 20 or so years of gaming, if you move from one platform to the other such as from Xbox to Playstation, you've never been able to transfer data from platform to platform in 99% of the games out there. Sure it sucks, but considering that's been the norm for around 20 years, why would you expect it to be different now.

The console release was not meant for PC players who are already established, but was meant to bring new players into the game that either couldn't or wouldn't play the game otherwise. Quite simply PC players are not the target audience for this. As to why some stuff isn't implemented yet, it's in part to test the server load allowing them to address issues and implement things in phases. Also it has the added benefit of not bombarding and overwhelming folks with so much stuff at once. By the very nature console isn't going to be able to do every single thing that a PC can. With a PC you have a full keyboard, mouse, and alot more powerful hardware to work with typically than a console has. With a console you typically only have a controller and that's it, so things have to be kept simple. I really don't understand why so many people the past little while on the forums here seem to be shocked by that. Not saying that to be insulting but purely from a technical standpoint.

The core of the game is the same between PC and console but otherwise is a completely different game in most aspects.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • enoylsenoyls Member Posts: 6 Arc User

as for me i was riped off i download it on to my xbox but i cant play it i have to pay for it that what it telling me to do so i was riped off so i well be leting my atterny now about it

Good luck with that. I'm sure your "atterny" will be super excited to listen to you whine about a Free-to-Play game annoying you.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,805 Community Moderator
    @jodarkrider me thinks this thread is going to start getting out of hand quickly
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • telekill2012telekill2012 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I started playing last night on PS4. I had played the first season on PC when I bought it at launch to get my Borg Bridge Officer. Glad it's free to play now. Here's what I've found to be negatives and positives for the PS4 version.

Negatives:
    - No bridge crew customization? I loved building my own bridge crew. I was so excited for this feature when the game first released that I wrote out an entire back story for each member before the game launched and decided their race/gender/etc. I loved that part of the game. Now bridge crew are just assigned and I don't even have enough "funds" to rename them.

- No zoom in/out while in space or on an away mission. My ship is so small in sub space that I can barely see it on my 32" HDTV. My character is also small when running around on the star base or even on the planets.

- Slow movement of "mouse". Not sure if I can speed it up.

- No transfer of progress from the PC version after linking my account. Also lost my Borg Bridge Officer *sad face*

Positives:
    - The beginning mission where you become captain seems more fleshed out than I remember it being on the PC.

- While I can't customize my bridge crew as they are now assigned to me automatically from story characters, it does add to the flow of the story a little better.

- Graphical update is noticeable.

- The sub space bottom grid is gone making it feel like I'm actually flying through space; pretty cool.

- Keyboard to Controller transfer was pretty well done for the most part.

- Captain and Ship customization appear to be intact which is great.

I'm going to try and get my buddies to jump on board with this game on PS4 so we can coop through the universe. Going from Uncharted 4 graphics/animations to STO's MMO graphics/animations can be a bit jarring but the fun aspect of the game is still intact which is more important. I also found the story to keep me hooked for 40 minutes longer than I was anticipating playing for last night which made me really tired for work this morning.
    null

I haven't played since they stopped the Mac port. I didn't realize they changed that in the PC version.

One thing I don't like is space powers. If you have more than one tactical ability you have to hold circle and it brings up a wheel of available powers
    Your pain runs deep.