test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ to Feature TRIBBLE Character, Plus 10 More Tidbits We Learned From Bryan Fuller

kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
edited August 2016 in Ten Forward
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘star-trek-discovery’-to-feature-TRIBBLE-character-plus-10-more-tidbits-we-learned-from-bryan-fuller/ar-BBvuuGz?li=AA2qN5v&ocid=spartandhp

Still think it will fail given many wont pay for just one channels worth of content.. but here is more info on it for those interested..

Edit.. to get the link to work replace the **** with "g a y" no spaces... thank you forum censor.... /facepalm...

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Not one channel - one network. I'm gathering that CBS All Access is supposed to provide, well, access to almost everything the network ever made. If it gives me access to all of Trek and all of the Twilight Zone, it's worth it to me - any other content would just be gravy.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Not one channel - one network. I'm gathering that CBS All Access is supposed to provide, well, access to almost everything the network ever made. If it gives me access to all of Trek and all of the Twilight Zone, it's worth it to me - any other content would just be gravy.​​

That's still a fraction of the content you get with the other pay channels...
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Just the ppv will have an effect. Many won't be buying it. I know I won't. So I will wait until it's free as it should be. Plus you know it will be bad. When they are hiding it behind a pay wall.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    farmallm wrote: »
    Just the ppv will have an effect. Many won't be buying it. I know I won't. So I will wait until it's free as it should be. Plus you know it will be bad. When they are hiding it behind a pay wall.

Agreed.. and the fact that NA consumers don't get it with Netflix but everyone else does irritates me as well....
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Plus you know it will be bad. When they are hiding it behind a pay wall.
    Yeah, like those terrible shows Daredevil and Jessica Jones, only available on Netflix.

Or those awful cable-only shows like Battlestar Galactica or Breaking Bad or The Sopranos (the last two require that you not only have cable, but also subscribe to an additional premium service, so they must have been really bad, right?).

Your premise is flawed, Farm. Time to admit you just don't want to see anything new in Trek.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    If it's not on broadcast TV, I can't watch it. Period. I don't have the money to spare to pay for a subscription fee and I don't have the Internet to stream movies or TV shows. Tried to watch the Mad Max series I got through Steam bundled with the new video game, and it was stopping to buffer every few minutes while locked at the lowest resolution.

#WaitingForDVD
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Yeah, like those terrible shows Daredevil and Jessica Jones, only available on Netflix.

Or those awful cable-only shows like Battlestar Galactica or Breaking Bad or The Sopranos (the last two require that you not only have cable, but also subscribe to an additional premium service, so they must have been really bad, right?).

Your premise is flawed, Farm. Time to admit you just don't want to see anything new in Trek.​​
    That's an unfair demand to make... I don't see that Trek needs anything new... Look at the photo in Olivia's thread labeled 'cult-like behaviour'... Do you think those folks will suddenly stop making uniforms, going to conventions to hang out with the actors etc, if there was to never again be any new Trek releases? I don't... The output may 'go inactive', but fandom will never let the franchise itself die... I don't think putting something behind a paywall is a sign it will be bad, but I do think it's fish-hooking the fanbase, because they know there will always be those willing to pay for their fix of FreshTrek, and that's my beef with the notion...
    Battlestar Galactica... was awful.... well the reboot anyhow...

Also the others you listed where not broadcast TV shows other the BG.. Trek has always been a broad cast TV show.. and this hiding it behind a pay wall is pure greed.. nothing more..

Also they are only forcing NA to pay for CBS all access while the rest of the world get is through Netflix...

"Time to admit you just don't want to see anything new in Trek" lets fix that "Time to admit that CBS are just being greedy and milking Star Trek fans of more money"
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    My first reaction was Discovery doesn't have a Captain, wtf, then I realized that just because it focuses on a Lt. Commander, doesn't mean Dsocovery doesn't have a Captain, it means he or she will not be the focus of as much attention as Captains Sisko, Picard, Kirk, Archer, or Janeway.

Now I'm left wondering what major incident they were talking about in TOS?
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    If it's not on broadcast TV, I can't watch it. Period. I don't have the money to spare to pay for a subscription fee and I don't have the Internet to stream movies or TV shows.

#WaitingForDVD

Yup, same boat I'm in. Don't have Netflix for this very reason. Still waiting to see Daredevil (and the rest of the Netflix Marvel shows) on BluRay, and I have a feeling I'll be waiting a LONG time for it too.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    If it's not on broadcast TV, I can't watch it. Period. I don't have the money to spare to pay for a subscription fee and I don't have the Internet to stream movies or TV shows.

#WaitingForDVD

Yup, same boat I'm in. Don't have Netflix for this very reason. Still waiting to see Daredevil (and the rest of the Netflix Marvel shows) on BluRay, and I have a feeling I'll be waiting a LONG time for it too.

Season 1 of Daredevil is out in October if I remember correctly, unless things have changed.
    https://www.google.ca/amp/uproxx.com/gammasquad/star-trek-discovery-diverse-cast/amp/?client=ms-android-bell-ca

It appear the core cast will include two Admirals, one male and one female, a Male Klingon Captain, a Male Brirish Doctor, a male adviser.

I think that's a hint that the Captain of Discovery will be a Klingon.
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    https://www.google.ca/amp/uproxx.com/gammasquad/star-trek-discovery-diverse-cast/amp/?client=ms-android-bell-ca

It appear the core cast will include two Admirals, one male and one female, a Male Klingon Captain, a Male Brirish Doctor, a male adviser.

The Feds and Klingons are on the brink of war at that time, there's no way a Klingon is in Starfleet, unless he's a spy. The Augment Klingons were a bit more deceitful than their normal selves.
    edited August 2016

I don't care to watch those. Daredevil was horrible when they did the movie. That just ruined it for me. So I refuse to watch any reboot of it. Just like the Green Lantern. Another TRIBBLE movie. Breaking bad, never saw it, don't care to. Sopranos another I can care less about. So why bother paying for TRIBBLE you don't want to see.

Want nothing in new to Trek. Think again your so wrong. I been wanting the new series on regular TV as it should be. Not for the elites in a PPV club. You need to admit, the new series is nothing more than a $ grab. I had planned to watch it, until they want you to pay. To me, the new series can fail, if they want to be a bunch of greedy pigs.

"The Feds and Klingons are on the brink of war at that time, there's no way a Klingon is in Starfleet, unless he's a spy. The Augment Klingons were a bit more deceitful than their normal selves."

Perhaps the Klingon Captain is the bad guy, someone hunting or opposing the Discovery like Kang, Kor, and Koloth kind of opposed Kirk and his interests .
    edited August 2016
    If it's not on broadcast TV, I can't watch it. Period. I don't have the money to spare to pay for a subscription fee and I don't have the Internet to stream movies or TV shows. Tried to watch the Mad Max series I got through Steam bundled with the new video game, and it was stopping to buffer every few minutes while locked at the lowest resolution.

#WaitingForDVD

Star Trek was always for everyone, they want it to be the "elite pay my show" club. I refuse to pay twice for something. I'm already paying for cable TV/internet. Which of course the cable providers make an agreement with the TV broadcasting companies on how much $ they pay so you can view it. This is why you have at times they say we can't show it anymore during contract negations. Cause they are still working out the $ deals. Then in turn your cable bill goes up from it, cause they are now making you pay more. So now I have to pay again for a show to see. I'm like nope I'm not paying your greedy piggy ways.

IF I have to pay for a show, where it used to be for everyone. Then its not worth it, regardless of the name.

I liked both Dare Devil movie and Green Lanter movie.
  • sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    With people switching to alternatives to cable it doesn't surprise me that networks would attempt to go it on their own. Using Star Trek to get more people to sign up for their service while (if they're smart) advertising that you get access to everything that they have as compared to one channel on tv? If this is successful this should encourage them to up their game with producing quality shows.

That said...air it on what I already have access to or I'll find something else. Besides, I question whether Fuller will be good for the franchise.
    Post edited by sarreous on
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    my dear fellow trekfans

you dont need CBS (see BS )

hahaha

Mzd8i1c.gif
    edited August 2016
    sarreous wrote: »
    With people switching to alternatives to cable it doesn't surprise me that networks would attempt to go it on their own. Using Star Trek to get more people to sign up for their service while (if they're smart) advertising that you get access to everything that they have as compared to one channel on tv? If this is successful this should encourage them to up their game with producing quality shows.

That said...air it on what I already have access to or I'll find something else. Besides, I question whether Fuller will be good for the franchise.

The CW's shows you can see on TV and see Free on the net using their own site. I done it several times due to my DVR didn't record the show for some reason.

Only reason they are going to alternatives is due the cable prices keeps going up. I turned off mine for a year before due to they wouldn't work with you. So I came back as a "new" customer and got better rates.

edited August 2016
    Here is the thing.. we are on a Star Trek game forum.. so we all have a love or liking with Star Trek and we are sharply divided over CBS pay wall... Do you really think casual viewers are going to fork over more money then they are already paying for cable, internet, hulu, Netflix for just one channels worth of content? We are the fan boys or girls of the genre and we can't even agree with it.. let alone support it. That's why I feel that pay wall will be the death nail of the show...
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    lordgyor wrote: »

More likely that Klingon Captain, will be the main antagonist of the series.

And I'm beginning to believe more and more that the Federation/Klingon Cold War, is the driving force behind the show.
    With the TOS episode "Errand of Mercy" being the key to this fact.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    The new show, It's a big gamble, I bet a bunch of people subscribe hoping for the best, BUT how many let there subscriptions lapse after the first few episodes ? That'll be the interesting thing to watch.

Right now, I've NEVER seen more of a gamble on the franchise, like Discovery represents.

. A ship design that almost defies Trek, but here, let's slap a saucer and a couple of nacelles on it....(then shouts) LOOK EVERYONE IT'S STAR TREK !

. The focus on a lower ranking character? I dunno, It's never been done before. It's a new formula to be sure.

. That CBS all access thing, limiting the fan base by those willing or even able to subscribe?

I'm not saying any one of these things are a fail in of themselves, but you have to admit, it's one big hellava gamble.

I'm praying it will pay off.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I don't care to watch those. Daredevil was horrible when they did the movie. That just ruined it for me. So I refuse to watch any reboot of it. Just like the Green Lantern. Another **** movie. Breaking bad, never saw it, don't care to. Sopranos another I can care less about. So why bother paying for **** you don't want to see.

Want nothing in new to Trek. Think again your so wrong. I been wanting the new series on regular TV as it should be. Not for the elites in a PPV club. You need to admit, the new series is nothing more than a $ grab. I had planned to watch it, until they want you to pay. To me, the new series can fail, if they want to be a bunch of greedy pigs.

Daredevil and Elektra plain aren't in continuity with the MCU; that film series only started with Iron Man. And I would remind you that there was at least one terrible Captain America movie before The First Avenger. And hell, I personally found it hard to believe they could make an entertaining film out of a superhero with powers as silly as Ant-Man, but it turned out all right, if not as good as some of the other MCU films (I still think Joss Whedon's Avengers is the gold standard).

Your trope is: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComplainingAboutShowsYouDontWatch
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Daredevil and Elektra plain aren't in continuity with the MCU; that film series only started with Iron Man. And I would remind you that there was at least one terrible Captain America movie before The First Avenger. And hell, I personally found it hard to believe they could make an entertaining film out of a superhero with powers as silly as Ant-Man, but it turned out all right, if not as good as some of the other MCU films (I still think Joss Whedon's Avengers is the gold standard).

Your trope is: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComplainingAboutShowsYouDontWatch

I really don't think there's merit in debating that part. If someone is unwilling to even watch the material that is talked about with the reasoning being that a completely unrelated movie more than a decade earlier already did it I don't think there's much wiggle room.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Your premise is flawed, Farm. Time to admit you just don't want to see anything new in Trek.

I don't care to watch those. Daredevil was horrible when they did the movie. That just ruined it for me. So I refuse to watch any reboot of it. Just like the Green Lantern. Another **** movie. Breaking bad, never saw it, don't care to. Sopranos another I can care less about. So why bother paying for **** you don't want to see.

There were technically three Captain America films, two made-for-TV films (Sentinel of Liberty and Death too Soon) in the 70s and one in the 90s just titled Captain America.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    "More likely that Klingon Captain, will be the main antagonist of the series.

And I'm beginning to believe more and more that the Federation/Klingon Cold War, is the driving force behind the show.
    With the TOS episode "Errand of Mercy" being the key to this fact."

Oh dude, your so right, how could I've not seen it, it was right under my nose the whole time!!!

It explains so much. The Klingon Captain, why they said "New CrewS", why possible spin offs were suggested, why section 31 would be marbled through season 1, the major event from TOS, how cool would it be if the Klingon Captain was either Kang, Kor, or Koloth?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Why does everyone bring up S31 all the time? I hope we never see that nonsense again pig-5.gifpig-4.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Why does everyone bring up S31 all the time? I hope we never see that nonsense again pig-5.gifpig-4.gif​​

To each their own I guess.

The Section 31 aspect of Star Trek and the Federation has always been awesome to me.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Why does everyone bring up S31 all the time? I hope we never see that nonsense again pig-5.gifpig-4.gif

You're just jealous you don't get their spiffy black uniforms ;).​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!