test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Respect your own game mechanics!!!

I'm honestly getting tired of some of the new enemies and powers being added to the game that ignore the rules and "cheat". In particular holds and roots that cannot be resisted or broken free from, so that you have to "wait it out".

If a power like Motion Accelerator explicitly says it grants "Immunity" to speed debuffs, holds and roots, then it should do so always, no exceptions.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q

Comments

• Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    The 'rules' are long gone, trampled in the dps race. The game used to have attacks with counters, all on cooldowns so abilities could not be spammed by a single entity, so the player had to time the use of offensive and defensive abilities. Now heavily invested players have a choice of how to reach more or less global cooldown on all, their now increased in number boff slots, with abilities that have in some cases been magnified out of all proportion in relation to where the game was a pre-roms. The equivalent has also happened for ground combat. So they add enemies with stupid irrestistable powers.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I'm not talking about things being "fair".
    I'm talking about the game breaking its own rules and mechanics.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    If an ability says it makes you immune to holds and roots, then you should be immune to holds and roots, full stop.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    I really don't know why people expect consistency, either internally in terms of gameplay and narrative, or externally with exiting TV/film/book/comic representations of Trek.

• Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Unless the NPC ability says it gets to IGNORE any immunity to holds and roots...because THEIR FRAKING ABILITY CAN DO WHATEVER THE WANT BECAUSE THEY DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE PLAYERS. You can NOT have it so only SOME of their abilities follow player rules while others clearly do not and use that as an excuse as tp why they can't have that abvility. They either MUST follow ALL the rules or NONE at all...because that is how this thing works. NPC can have whatever they want because the devs said so. In exchange, they get different cooldown then ours (generally longer) and have limited weapons. If you want them to follow all the player rules, then they need to follow ALL the player rules. So, no not full stop. You can not selective choose what facts you want.
    If Cryptic renders counters obsolete, then players stop using them. It is a flawed design.

Motion Accelerator is not worth a kit slot if enemies can just immobilize you, negating the speed boost and the melee boost (if they take 2 steps away from you). Then you can wait 90 seconds to do it again.

Melee combat is already clunky. Let's not make it worse.
  • Options
    redvenge wrote: »
    Unless the NPC ability says it gets to IGNORE any immunity to holds and roots...because THEIR FRAKING ABILITY CAN DO WHATEVER THE WANT BECAUSE THEY DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE PLAYERS. You can NOT have it so only SOME of their abilities follow player rules while others clearly do not and use that as an excuse as tp why they can't have that abvility. They either MUST follow ALL the rules or NONE at all...because that is how this thing works. NPC can have whatever they want because the devs said so. In exchange, they get different cooldown then ours (generally longer) and have limited weapons. If you want them to follow all the player rules, then they need to follow ALL the player rules. So, no not full stop. You can not selective choose what facts you want.
    If Cryptic renders counters obsolete, then players stop using them. It is a flawed design.

Motion Accelerator is not worth a kit slot if enemies can just immobilize you, negating the speed boost and the melee boost (if they take 2 steps away from you). Then you can wait 90 seconds to do it again.

This guy gets it!
    postinggum wrote: »
    I really don't know why people expect consistency, either internally in terms of gameplay and narrative, or externally with exiting TV/film/book/comic representations of Trek.

This is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. This is about basic game design and it has absolutely nothing whatsoever do with the Star Trek.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User

I agree, which leads me to believe that some people that work at Cryptic only play occasionally and simply forgot to make Motion Accelerator a counter. Someone should perhaps file a bug? If you do that, I'm sure they'll fix it quickly... :|
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options

I agree, which leads me to believe that some people that work at Cryptic only play occasionally and simply forgot to make Motion Accelerator a counter. Someone should perhaps file a bug? If you do that, I'm sure they'll fix it quickly... :|

Don't count on it. I've filed multiple bug reports over a broken accolade.... its been 2 years... :(
  • Options
    borgresearcherborgresearcher Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    same happens for automated adrenal hypo, or cold fusion flash, nothing removes that dot, not even vascular regenerator. space is the same TRIBBLE, every new disable or hold goes through aux to dampers or apo. ive already said this. the guys making new powers dont even care about the constitution of the game and about the rules. game was so fun before DR omfg and how the **** do they know if a power is balanced if they dont play the game ? temporal TRIBBLE was the limit for me... i stopped playing.
  • Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Back in the day, we just ran all Engineers with mines and turrets so that when the NPCs used roots and holds, our damage would stay consistent. This game has always been about finding a way to work well within the current mechanics and not sweating the details like some line of code. :wink:
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User

Don't count on it. I've filed multiple bug reports over a broken accolade.... its been 2 years... :(

Please activate your sarcasm chip, Data...:P
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The Tellarite race trait that is supposed to break snares and holds also does nothing since forever.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    craftyveteran1craftyveteran1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    in the end, the devs will do what they want and we will whine about it without any change. At least we have each other.
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    kjfett wrote: »
    Back in the day, we just ran all Engineers with mines and turrets so that when the NPCs used roots and holds, our damage would stay consistent. This game has always been about finding a way to work well within the current mechanics and not sweating the details like some line of code. :wink:

Except, because of many of the roots, hold, de-buffs etc comments mentioned in this thread the engineers i run are "still" built this way for ground combat. Except for some specific set bonuses my space builds are also "old school" focused and lean toward simple max stat stacking.

If it isn't broke don't fix it.

I like to call all the broken and ignored abilities in Cryptic's game design "Gimmicks" and only in very rare cases do i pay them any attention whatsoever.

All they do is cycle this "wonder stuff" in, (at a price of course) and nerf it all later anyway.

It's all part of the "money reset" ability which allows you to buy back the stuff you lost through the "nerf" ability, both of which are never bugged/broken and always work. B)

• Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    It doesn't break game design. We do need to be realistic.
  • Options

It is not a flawed design, it is working as intended, sell A ability and then nerf or counter it into obscurity later.

After which you can replace it with the latest must have from the Z-store.
  • Options
    I'm honestly getting tired of some of the new enemies and powers being added to the game that ignore the rules and "cheat". In particular holds and roots that cannot be resisted or broken free from, so that you have to "wait it out".

If a power like Motion Accelerator explicitly says it grants "Immunity" to speed debuffs, holds and roots, then it should do so always, no exceptions.

I agree with the explicitly says comment, it isn't unreasonable to assume that say Iconians may possess a debuff, root or hold ability far superior to say Romulans that Motion Accelerator will not grant immunity to.

That should of course be mentioned in the manual or tooltip, or should be changed if it wasn't and now simply doesn't work with some species and their technology.

Changing tooltips doesn't get people to spend money in the game.

I agree with you.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    It is not a game bug, it is a grammatical error. The tool tip for motion accelerator is supposed to read "immunity to most....", for some reason the word "most" somehow got lost on a lot of tool tips.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

Motion Accelerator is not worth a kit slot

It's there to help you rush from 1 boss mob to the next in the Dyson battlegrounds...

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Yikes! Twice necro'd.

mtMWouv.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.