test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Official" design pics of the "new" enterprise design from BEYOND

mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
From the artist who designed the "new" ship:
Star Trek Beyond. My new Enterprise 1701A. This was the design I gave visual effects, so any changes beyond what you see here were out of my hands, but looking at the film its pretty close.

The brief was to beef up the neck and arms, but I took it upon myself to go further. Certain details and livery are not present as I took it to a certain level, time permitting. Also the classic red graphics were placeholders at the time.
I worked many long hours at work and after work and weekends on this, knowing the weight of the responsibility, which I didn't take lightly.

From growing up watching Star Trek in the countryside of Northern England, this was a great honor to be one of the few to be given the great responsibility to design this ship.

This concludes my Star Trek Beyond posts, in time I may post some early swarm ship concepts. Thank you everyone for the wonderful responses to my work, it has really been amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/sean.hargreaves.design/posts/10207314089033945

http://imgur.com/a/Yzh8M

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    So where are the torpedo tubes now?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It's not the final model from the film note. There were changes made to the detailing, the saucer, and the pylons.

I wonder if it has a class name? Maybe Yorktown Class.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Drawing look good. Just slim down the warp pods, I say.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Didn't like it from the side elevation... but the other angles look fine to me. I'm (personally) not a big fan of overly defined right angles on ships. It's one of the reasons why I prefer the movie refit over the TOS series ship.

I think I'd prefer this one if the top of the neck swept forward and the nacelles struts were swept back a bit.

But this is just my personal taste.

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Nice artwork, but I'm not overly struck on it... In particular, I don't like the nacelle pylons attaching so far toward the front of the nacelles. If this was to just be Generic Starfleet Ship, I might be a bit more accepting, but the idea of it being the Enterprise, carries a responsibility to hold to a particular look and style, which this design simply does not do...
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I don't like it. I don't like the sharply vertical leading edges on the neck (or the pylons in this case). I dislike the pylons attaching so far forward on the nacelles. I don't like the cut-in on the back of the neck which also contributes to the saucer looking 'hunched' over the engineering hull. To me it looks entirely too much like the artist thought "how can I reverse every line, sweep, and proportion that goes into making the Sovereign class beautiful?"

And seen from the rear, having all the organic lines run down to a groin and a bung hole doesn't appeal to me at all ;). The whole aft assembly reminds me far too much of some of the low budget 70's sci-fi movie ships with lines like those that carved out a wide swath of 'yeah, don't make your ships look like body-parts, m'kay'... :tongue:

But generally speaking I've enjoyed the non-Enterprise ships in each of the KT movies more than the Enterprise herself, so I'm sure the 4th movie will give me something else to look at :).
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    I don't like the straight forward part of the pylons and the neck, It seems a bit static to me.
    It just doesn't look like something that is meant to travel at unimaginable speeds. We need the visual queues to articulate something capable of extreme velocity.

They NEED to keep the swept forward angle of the neck, (like it was), and either sweep forward the front of the pylons in a forward angle, or sweep them back like the prime refit's pylons. I know the TOS ship had straight pylons, but the angle of the neck in relation to the way that the nacelles trailed back, still suggested momentum to me, but it was a dated look,

Maybe I'm just too hung up on the prime refit connie, that ship is beautiful. :*
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    While I enjoyed many ship designs since, that remains a thing of beauty :).
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Looks horrid. Quick where is the trash can or toliet!
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Looks cool. I can't wait for the T6 3-pack of the ship.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg