test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Beyond Movie Review and my thoughts on whats next. (RED ALERT) SPOILERS.

jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
10/10 What can I say about Star Trek Beyond, it hit all the notes the writing was superb. It was funny I mean seriously we haven't had a Star Trek funny movie since Mr Nimoy's Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home. The new director did great and Simon Pegg who helped wrote the was fantastic. Which leads me to this one fact: Never let someone who hasn't been in a Star Trek show before direct a major movie. Pegg and Nimoy demonstrated this, I'm excited to see if Chris Pine or Zach Quinto get involved in the directing more and hopefully they do not go the way of the hammy Bill Shatner in Star Trek 5. The Next Generation gem First Contact was directed by Johnathan Frakes aka Riker which was arguably the only gem out of the Next Gen series.

I also loved the Easter eggs throughout the picture from the dialogue eggs to the shout outs to the Prime Universe and past JJ Movies combining them into I would argue different formula than what we saw from Abrams. The realism is also striking, in the first parts of the movie Kirk was getting burned out from being "episodic" for the last 3 years in space. Which makes sense because well this is before the holodeck and like any road trip people get restless. The USS Franklin was pure gold I loved the design of the vessel and I only wished we got that ship look for Johnny Archer's Enterprise over the Akira look alike we got. The movie made references to hull plating and phase cannons, plus the uniforms looks like something from that era. However the one Easter egg which made well up inside was when Spock was holding Ambassador Spock's picture of the original TOS crew.

The one man that stole the show: Bones McCoy. The good doctor should go into comedy because I was in stitches, I have never laughed so hard in a ST movie before.

As a lifelong Star Trek fan, this truly was one of the best ever. I only hope they continue with voyages like this with future movies.

Oh and ah the way to get send Chekov off would be to introduce the Reliant. As for his replacement.......Lt. Saavik.

One more thing, for the love of Kahless: KEEP SIMON PEGG ON THE WRITING TEAM!!!!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"