What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anton Yelchin tribute bridge officer

Comments

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Then we should have BOFF for the rest who died that was part of Trek. I would love to have Yeoman Rand on my AOY team.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    Then we should have BOFF for the rest who died that was part of Trek. I would love to have Yeoman Rand on my AOY team.

Someone on Twitter had asked Geko if players would be able to use her hairstyle and he said "yes", but I haven't seen it in game yet. Maybe it's not ready for players yet or it's bugged?

• Options
    nixboox wrote: »
    We have to be careful about giving out BOffs of former characters from the shows and the series - a memorial on Earth is one thing, but having someone on your ship in the image of a deceased person could be offensive or unsettling - particularly to family members or friends of the deceased.

This is why we shouldn't. Unless having them in game for something like they doing for the story line. We as players shouldn't have them to use.

• Options

Someone on Twitter had asked Geko if players would be able to use her hairstyle and he said "yes", but I haven't seen it in game yet. Maybe it's not ready for players yet or it's bugged?

I would have that hair on one of my BOFFs. I'm always wanting more hair options.

• Options
    mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    We have to be careful about giving out BOffs of former characters from the shows and the series - a memorial on Earth is one thing, but having someone on your ship in the image of a deceased person could be offensive or unsettling - particularly to family members or friends of the deceased.

you do realize we already have NPCs based on deceased people game, right?

how is having an NPC as your bridge officer more offensive than having them in a mission?
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User

you do realize we already have NPCs based on deceased people game, right?

how is having an NPC as your bridge officer more offensive than having them in a mission?

but the estates/families of said desceased people allowed the likeness to be used in game.... f a lot fo people started doing that, mr. yelchins family could sue cryptic.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they would need permission from the person or, in this case, his family, right?

Since they're unlikely to put too much effort into such a thing just to create a Boff (which is quite understandable btw, not judging here) I doubt it will happen.

And even if it happened, then we won't have to worry about it: cause then the family has agreed that they're ok with it.

Edit: nevermind, just saw that, while typing, someone else brought up the same thing.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Does anyone else have the sudden desire to play some board game on her hairstyle?
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Does anyone else have the sudden desire to play some board game on her hairstyle?

LoL!

I just noticed this:

Apparently the reason why the Yeoman Rand beehive hair isn't available yet, is because a lot of ToS costume unlocks are actually bugged. So they'll fix it soon, I hope.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

Maybe it's part of the 50th anniversary thing coming up.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    skrapnelskrapnel Member Posts: 75 Arc User
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    risian4 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they would need permission from the person or, in this case, his family, right?

Yep. Permission is required by law, otherwise there is risk of a lawsuit.

One instance where permission was not requested prior to using an actor's face for commercial financial gains was when Samuel L. Jackson's likeness was used for Nick Fury by Marvel Comics artists back in 2002. It was a quick and amicable resolution. Jackson allowed Marvel to use his likeliness as long as he would play the role of Nick Fury in any future Marvel movie.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    I think it's a great idea, but we don't need another copypasta BO with TRIBBLE for space traits
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    How is anybody going to know if one uses a "likeness" on their crew?
    (Unless one is stupid enough to brag about it)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Like maybe tic-tac-toe?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Where do you claim this BOff? Its not showing on my Promotions tab.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

That is really cool. For someone to go out of their way to make a tribute is fine... I don't think we need/should ask cryptic for a whole line of BOFF like that tho.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Where do you claim this BOff? Its not showing on my Promotions tab.

It isn't a promotion. A player turned an Alien BOFF into the likeness. He tells you how to do one for yourself, using his image.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D