test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Temporal Probes space locations: make it easier to find

gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
I just ran Operation Gamma and could not find the Temporal probe.

Something has to be done to make it easier to find Temporal probes in space. The maps are too big and the probes are often too small. The hunt and search is not fun or enjoyable, especially when the probes are put in the middle or end of long, difficult tedious space missions.

On the ground when temporal probes are working on maps the scope is small and limited to rooms, and a search is much easier.

Suggestions:

Make the probes read as anomalies so using the "V" key can help locate them.

Place a green or red ring on the map to drive you toward their location.

In the case of Operation Gamma put the probe right next to Ferek's ship. The mission is long, tedious, frustrating, and not that fun. I will not replay it to search for a Temporal probe put near the end of it.
Joined STO in September 2010.
Post edited by gerwalk0769 on

Comments

• jbkiller1jbkiller1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I just ran Operation Gamma and could not find the Temporal probe.

Something has to be done to make it easier to find Temporal probes in space. The maps are too big and the probes are often too small. The hunt and search is not fun or enjoyable, especially when the probes are put in the middle or end pf long, difficult tedious space missions.

On the ground when temporal probes are working on maps the scope is small and limited to rooms, and a search is much easier.

Suggestions:

Make the probes read as anomalies so using the "V" key can help locate them.

Place a green or red ring on the map to drive you toward their location.

In the case of Operation Gamma put the probe right next to Ferek's ship. The mission is long, tedious, frustrating, and not that fun. I will not replay it to search for a Temporal probe put near the end of it.

I so agree it would be less annoying

• triptuckerviitriptuckervii Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    So far, the Cryptic peeps haven't even acknowledged that the Temporal Probe thing is bugged and broken, so I doubt they'll fix it. It's more important to fix multiplayer maps or costume options, it seems.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    These things aren't hard to find. They're not put in some remote corner of the map that is out of the way of your play route, but you do need to poke around just a little. Hell, look at your Objectives window when you need to keep an eye out for it.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    They are not difficult to find. Requires patience however. If I cannot find one right off the bat, I press the <M> key. Once I am on the map, I move my cursor over each of the white dots. One of them will be the probe.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    These things aren't hard to find. They're not put in some remote corner of the map that is out of the way of your play route, but you do need to poke around just a little. Hell, look at your Objectives window when you need to keep an eye out for it.

On some maps they are placed at points and elevations that assume a certain route (e.g. I found one near a mouth at a beginning of an opening of an upper chain in Operation Gamma). If you do not take that route (which is possible given all the gaps in the chain) then good luck finding the probe. Also if I am remembering correctly the placement seems randomized, I've run missions (e.g.Cold Call) more than once and seem to remember a probe appearing in different locations.

• gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    They are not difficult to find. Requires patience however. If I cannot find one right off the bat, I press the <M> key. Once I am on the map, I move my cursor over each of the white dots. One of them will be the probe.

I'm glad you did not have difficulty.

I've found it requires more than patience. I have, and had to run some missions 2-3 times to find a probe. On the 5th mission replay I finally found a probe on “The Kuvah'Magh” map. I've noticed a white dot, with an partial arrow to it's right, appear on my screen once I've sited/found the probe.
    Post edited by gerwalk0769 on
  • triptuckerviitriptuckervii Member Posts: 42 Arc User

I'm glad you did not had difficulty.

I've found it requires more that patience. I have, and had to run some missions 2-3 times to find a probe. On the 5th mission replay I finally found a probe on “The Kuvah'Magh” map. I've noticed a white dot, with an partial arrow to it's right, appear on my screen once I've sited/found the probe.

Yeah. Telling those of us who can't find the damn things that "It's totally easy!" is like lottery winners telling us the odds are great, at least for some of the probes. Not to mention that they're kinda bugged, too, because sometimes they don't spawn at all, or spawn long after they're supposed to (or long before). Some have even reported the probe sometimes being destructible in Operation Gamma, so the Swarmers destroy it before you can get to it.
  • bloodyrumbloodyrum Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    <--- that dose not work and ive been looking for a bout a F-in hour now and all ive found is these https://gyazo.com/aef916054b41dfdc67d257a672d031b5 and https://gyazo.com/aef916054b41dfdc67d257a672d031b5 i know there the bridges of different ships in the cut seen but that doesnt help when im looking for a probe -.-

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    My friend pointed me to a Reddit post with a tip for hunting these things in the maps:

Type in the chat window: /target temporal probe
    If you are close to it....it will show up in the "target" window (at the top of the screen that shows enemies you are firing at). This causes a marker to appear in the directional indicator...showing where the probe is compared to where you are on the map.

Also, the tip here on checking the map...there is a white dot labeled "Temporal Probe"....open main map, not mini map.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • racerexiaracerexia Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Operation, Gamma, scoured the freaking map inch by inch, never saw it, its faint red on some of the red interiors might have been a bit too much for my screwed up eyesight. I dislike that mission so much now I hope that DS9 just implodes forever. BTW I have tried this mission 5 times already, last one I need to do and I finish probe hunting.
  • baronh2o#2308 baronh2o Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Something that I found extremely helpful along with the target command mentioned above, was this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4ro6d0/temporal_orb_locations_minor_exploration_puzzle/?st=ir58h2sz&sh=8d2f5ac9
  • metaliantmetaliant Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    racerexia wrote: »
    Operation, Gamma, scoured the freaking map inch by inch, never saw it, its faint red on some of the red interiors might have been a bit too much for my screwed up eyesight. I dislike that mission so much now I hope that DS9 just implodes forever. BTW I have tried this mission 5 times already, last one I need to do and I finish probe hunting.

I agree, with the space locations, you can't scan for them unlike the ground ones which you can scan and if not, then it easy to find them but the space ones.....;I have always hated Operation Gamma mission anyway for the first part with those dammed Jem'Hadar ships.

As for those who say finding the space probes are easy, then try doing it when you are registered visually impaired.
    OH MY GOD THEY KILLED JIM KIRK
    YOU TRIBBLE
  • metaliantmetaliant Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Something that I found extremely helpful along with the target command mentioned above, was this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4ro6d0/temporal_orb_locations_minor_exploration_puzzle/?st=ir58h2sz&sh=8d2f5ac9

I have used that bit of info about the Operation Gamma probe. Found it and it helps and if it's not there, then it gives a clue of how to look for it. Still hate the mission altogether.
    OH MY GOD THEY KILLED JIM KIRK
    YOU TRIBBLE
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Target temporal probe does no good unless you are within a certain distance of the probe (80M for ground I think), so far, in my experience, the probe does not show up on the map until after you get the pop up from your BoFF that a probe was detected ..... and on numerous occasions, I have actually seen the probe and walked to within 10 meters of it before that notification ever popped up.

Some maps, such TRIBBLE Kuvagh.ma, it appears in locations far outside of any logical path a player would take while running the mission, including on the down side of a "cliff" and behind a large tree. Not even remotely visible from any area a player would likely go as there are no enemy/buildings/crates/items of interest anywhere near that location, only by going from the closest building/encounter and then moving directly away from the path to the next do you even get in range for target temporal probe to work.

Temporal Ambassador, the probe tends to appear in the corridor you passed through to get to the maintenance tubes, however it only appears after you have freed to Enterprise and are ready to head to it and fly away. So, it appears in a location you have already been, but only after you have passed through there and have absolutely no reason to go back to ..... unless you are looking for the probe and know that it might appear there even if it wasn't there before.

Just a few examples of probe placement and quirks that make absolutely no sense other than one, the developers wanting to make finding probes as difficult as possible without being actually impossible, two, the developers having a really sick, twisted sense of humor, that I kind of like if I wasn't one of the ones on the receiving end, three, a deliberate ploy by the developers to get us to explore their pretty maps in much greater detail than we ever would otherwise, or four, developers selecting random probe points but testing their ability to be found using someone that had prior knowledge of everywhere (and when) they might appear.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • You can find the temporal probe in Operation Gamma after you meet Farek and go out the backside of the rock she's hiding in, go to the chain to the right and at the first mouth spam /target temporal probe. Thats where I found it.