test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

23C Visuals

May not be possible, but I honestly would like the visuals switch to 25th century after making the jump. Or tie it to ships, the way it should be. If you have a 23rd century ship, have a 23rd century communicator and transporter animation. If you have a Warbird, the toon should use romulan animations, if you are in a BOP, it should be Klingon anims.

It should not be tied to faction or race. Hardware is hardware. In ST4, Kirk had a BoP, and the beaming effect was Klingon, as were the communicators.

Or at least give us an option on the Character info screen to switch the VFX.

It would be great if Cryptic could make this work.
Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...

Comments

• nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    I want a transporter effect slot. It would be especially good if transporter effects came with ships the way shuttle vanity pets currently do.

Equip the item, get the transporter. Fed blue, Romulan green, Klingon red, Cardassian gold, TOS yellow. Lockbox-only factions could even get other neat effects... maybe the Herald effect would be stepping out of a gateway, or the Solanae (from their carrier) phasing in.
  • undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    nadiezja wrote: »
    I want a transporter effect slot. It would be especially good if transporter effects came with ships the way shuttle vanity pets currently do.

Equip the item, get the transporter. Fed blue, Romulan green, Klingon red, Cardassian gold, TOS yellow. Lockbox-only factions could even get other neat effects... maybe the Herald effect would be stepping out of a gateway, or the Solanae (from their carrier) phasing in.

That is a great idea. Same thing with communicators and tricorders. I could get on board with that for sure. More personalization is always a positive for MMOs.
    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    Good ideas all around. I support these new forumites and their progressive ideas.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
    Who's new? lol Some of us just lurk for years. ROFL
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    pretty much the only reason i am continuing on with my 23rd century captain is for the 23rd century visuals.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

pretty much the only reason i am continuing on with my 23rd century captain is for the 23rd century visuals.

And they are great! If I were continuing on in the 23rd century, sure! But if I'm flying a T6 Odyssey, flagship of the Federation in 2410, it's a bit immersion-breaking to pull out my flip-communicator and call for my golden-TV-screen-fuzz transporter.

Again, should be an option, so everyone gets what they want.

And yes, some small part of me is irked to see 200-300 year old ships flying around in the 25th century. But I deal with it.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User

Same here. I'm fine with an OPTION to switch visuals, but I will not be happy if Cryptic makes my 23rd century crew suddenly exactly the same as all of my existing Fed characters.
    I would seriously like to see them expand the 23rd century side to a full series of 40-50 missions in time. I love playing in the classic Trek environment, in fact that is my main gripe with this expansion, it's a TEASE. A full 23rd century version on its own servers with its own missions would be GREAT. Doubtful that would ever happen though.

But back on topic, the ability to further customize our characters is ALWAYS valuable for new members and retaining older ones.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I agree woth everything that has been said. Unfortunately itmight not be possible. I recall all animations being emotes hard coded to the character playing it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Would be nice, though. One of my main toons is a MACO and his crew wear the Maco uniforms. Would be cool for them to use the gauntlet communication animation like romulans or klingons.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    This is another reason why I decided to keep leveling mine. So I can go around in Retro!
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I agree woth everything that has been said. Unfortunately itmight not be possible. I recall all animations being emotes hard coded to the character playing it.
    This could change. but would probably be a lot of work. I'd still love to see it. I'm firmly convinced that the Kobali Boff is bugged right now and meant to use the Kobali grey transporter, and not the red KDF one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    Good ideas all around. I support these new forumites and their progressive ideas.

I echo the comments of my Fleetmate.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ccs46ccs46 Member Posts: 117 Arc User

I support this Idea.

• phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I agree that it breaks the immersion of transitioning to the future/current timeline and still have the classic transporter effects. I love the old effects and I think they did an exceptional job of recreating the aesthetic of the TOS era, but the whole storyline is that we're supposed to be incognito temporal officers right? So we should be doing everything we can to blend in to our new environment.

But I get that people like the TOS effects and want to keep it. I'm all for making it an optional thing. I'm sure that people would pay for some device in the C-store to get the visuals they prefer, so it would probably be well worth the time and effort to put some development time into it.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

And some event have Q give a white flash effect as reward.
    warpangel wrote: »

hehe, that'd be hilarious. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

I'd rather have a Q playable species in the C-store, with the special ability "everything on the map dies" or "everything on the map becomes a harmless bunny"
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    hidden downsides: "everything" means EVERYTHING, including the player character and friendly NPCs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I actually kinda like the idea of a c-store race option that would be like a member of the Q, which is either exiled out of the Continuum as Q had been, or which left the continuum willingly like the parent's of one of the Voyager crew had. That would have minor abilities like turning a target into a harmless random item for abit, or something like that. Could give them a full-on alien-gen character creation option with maybe some extras in their for being a c-store race.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    hidden downsides: "everything" means EVERYTHING, including the player character and friendly NPCs.

No, boffs and NPCs turn into a mariachi band
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png