test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's unpopular yes....but the Enterprise-J isn't that big

So after seeing it in game, I have to say the ship itself isn't that big compared to what the original designer was intending it to be.

I mean this is a ship that was supposed to be able to have Galaxy Classes dock inside of it (not like hundreds of shuttles, more like a bigger DF in voyager). and it's actually much smaller.

here's where the unpopular part comes in....I can already see that it's downgrading is due to the fact that they may want to "release" it as a playable ship in the future.

anyone else see that?

Comments

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    oh god that would be terrible.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    "here's where the unpopular part comes in....I can already see that it's downgrading is due to the fact that they may want to "release" it as a playable ship in the future." Well if they do that, then they've completely invalidated their reason for saying the Narada is too huge to put in lockbox. One can hope they'll relax on the issue of size.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    So after seeing it in game, I have to say the ship itself isn't that big compared to what the original designer was intending it to be.

I mean this is a ship that was supposed to be able to have Galaxy Classes dock inside of it (not like hundreds of shuttles, more like a bigger DF in voyager). and it's actually much smaller.

here's where the unpopular part comes in....I can already see that it's downgrading is due to the fact that they may want to "release" it as a playable ship in the future.

anyone else see that?

I hope so ... perhaps it will be the Temporal skin available to a hypothetical T6 TOS Connie? Would kind of make sense since it's an enterprise, even though the sizes are VASTLY different (not really an issue since TOS and future ships can't be kitbashed together).

But even if that does happen, I'll still probably use the Excalibur skin on my eng, and the TOS skin on my TOS guy.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    I can see that, it's going to get pretty crowded around ESD !

Like it wasn't already, with all those Scimitars, D'deridex's, hell, most anything Romulan, Galaxies,Odysseys, the new and improved, (and galaxy sized !) KT connie and even BIGGER Vengeances !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options

Like it wasn't already, with all those Scimitars, D'deridex's, hell, most anything Romulan, Galaxies,Odysseys, the new and improved, (and galaxy sized !) KT connie and even BIGGER Vengeances !

"Helm, take us into ESD"

*ka-boom*

"What was that?"

"ESD sir, it's gone!"

"Damage report?"

"Some chipped paint, but that's all sir."
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User

anyone else see that?

They're never gonna release it as playable.

Even at it's "downgraded" scale, so to speak, it's still far too large to be fit for players. It's on the same scale as a Borg Cube or a Voth City Ship.

There's some ships that are just never gonna be made for us, guys, and that's fine.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    I doubt they'll ever make it a playable ship except maybe outside a special mission. Maybe. I do hope they fix the model, though. It's much too thin and the nacelles clip through the pylons.
  • Options
    captsol wrote: »
    I doubt they'll ever make it a playable ship except maybe outside a special mission. Maybe. I do hope they fix the model, though. It's much too thin and the nacelles clip through the pylons.

Ah, so I wasn't the only one to notice that.​​

Yeah. Well, I mean I can't blame the person who created it too much. It was his first time modelling a ship.
  • Options

That's how it appeared in enterprise, so that's the canon look, nacelle clipping and all.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    i like it but i would not like it as a ship.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »

If by terrible you mean, the greatest thing ever, then I agree! Because as much as i love, love LOVE Captain Shon, I really want to get to know the captain of the J. The VO work so far has me intrigued.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2016
    The Nerada is about 9 Km. For comparison the Tholian Tarantula is about 2 Km, the Dominion Dreadnought 1.5 Km, and the Ent J is 3.2 Km. The only ship that comes close is the Voth Citadel at approximately 9 Km.​​

Having a playable Ent J is nowhere near comparable. The J is only slightly bigger than the Tarantula so it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

Luckily I'm here to help with that! Flying around in my brand spanking new, old old old school T6 Daedalus, I'm helping cut down on the space ships take up around ESD! No need to thank me.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

That's how it appeared in enterprise, so that's the canon look, nacelle clipping and all.

Oh yeah? I'll have to re-watch that episode.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2016

anyone else see that?

Huh?

Who said the J was supposed to dock Galaxies?

The ship was designed and built for Enterprise by Doug Drexler. Doug says that the ship is "about 2 miles long."

The ship I built is 3255.9m long. That's a hair over 2 miles.

The ship was not shrunk from it's intended size. Though it was never actually shown on screen (other than a schematic on a wall monitor). 2 miles just isn't THAT big. It's a big ship to be sure, but it's not ridiculously big. It's still dwarfed by the Voth Fortress. And it doesn't feel humongous once you've surrounded it with Scimitars and Vor'Chas.

Too thin? How so?

The Nacelles and the Pylons do not meet in the original model. I adjusted the nacelles slightly, so that there was a physical connection there.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Here's Doug Drexler's Facebook album on the Ent J. This is pretty much the ONLY thing I used as reference when building it. There are a million fan builds out there, but they are all inaccurate to the original.

https://www.facebook.com/doug.drexler.7/media_set?set=a.10151605834536104.1073741927.570346103&type=3

12540562_10153198182141104_7937808242393023029_n.jpg?oh=5cd1a514fd64aa14a5716431b27b9f72&oe=57EBBE1D

1517552_10153198182106104_8216596891857333867_n.jpg?oh=222235f307e2c63928cf5d9427952a5a&oe=58351041

And I just posted some images of my ship, over the Art Section, including some Orthographics you can use for comparison:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1218199/vitamin-j/p1?new=1

• Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    With changes to the timeline the EJ and the Narada have shrunk.

Done.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Huh, well I guess context really does play funny tricks with sense of scale. Though I WAS flying a Daemosh when I played that mission, guess I didn't get close enough. Still seemed rather small to me oddly enough.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    sorceror01 wrote: »

anyone else see that?

They're never gonna release it as playable.

Even at it's "downgraded" scale, so to speak, it's still far too large to be fit for players. It's on the same scale as a Borg Cube or a Voth City Ship.

There's some ships that are just never gonna be made for us, guys, and that's fine.

we did some measuring in that field...it's twice the width of a Vengance, but only 0.5x the length.

it is very much within size range. and to be honest....it's pretty dang small for what it's supposed to be.
  • Options
    27873542030_ec7f6f50d8_b.jpg[img][/img]
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    gradii wrote: »

If by terrible you mean, the greatest thing ever, then I agree! Because as much as i love, love LOVE Captain Shon, I really want to get to know the captain of the J. The VO work so far has me intrigued.
    They did mention a Captain Dax. :p
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    27873542030_ec7f6f50d8_b.jpg[img][/img]

Can we get this ship for the next Winter Event? I feel like Q is not living up to his potential with giving us ships that defy physics and common sense. An animated Enterprise-J or balloon ship would certainly fit with Q's style over Breen ships.