test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Foundry Author here.

Hi Foundry Authors.

After ignoring the foundry and everything connected to it for so long, last night I finally decided to take a look at it and see what its like. ;) Now I feel like a kid with a brand new toy to play with. It took me a while to figure out how to use it all and put a mission together but I'm getting there.

Naturally the first mission I'm working on is pretty crude and simplistic, much like the very early Fed missions. But I'm hoping to improve as I become more familiar with the workings of the Foundry.

Does anyone have any tips, hints or advice about using the Foundry?

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tinker with everything! Seriously, you will learn a lot just by clicking on all the buttons just to see what they do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Welcome!

Always great to have new authors. :)

The Foundry can be pretty overwhelming to start with. I'd like to suggest visiting Starbase UGC's site (https://facebook.com/StarbaseUGC) when its back up. It's chock full of tutorial material and awesome, friendly folks who are there to help out new (and old) authors.

In the meantime feel free to ask any questions you have here. :)

Again, welcome to the Foundry!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    There's an entire video series in the works for tips, tricks, and general foundry advice! :)

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1216003/new-video-series-foundational-foundry

We also do a weekly show (the foundry roundtable) with more discussion relating to STO UGC (and shout outs and mission reviews, which new authors can definitely take advantage of. :))

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1217267/podcast-the-foundry-roundtable-episode-137-exploration-exasperation
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    Thank you all for the welcome!

I'm having way too much fun figuring out the Foundry. Fiddling with things is how I've learnt anything so far. My first major question regards to npcs. Is there any way to open up the character creation editor so I can design NPCS of a particular made-up species of my own?

See I have an alien captain (Starfleet) and I'd love to be able to make a Foundry mission about her species.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    There's no way to directly port character costumes to the foundry but you can certainly recreate it. Simply create a new ground costume in the relevant Foundry tab and have at it. It's the same system you use in STO, just with a different look.

When done, NPC's can be added to maps as single contacts (custom characters will show up at the top of the selectable list) or as combat related mobs (for which you'll have to specify for each unit what costume you want to use, if not the default.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Actually, since the Foundry doesn't have costume categories, you can mix things in the Foundry you can't mix in the main game.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    councilspectrecouncilspectre Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    When I first started exploring the idea of creating a mission, I googled everything.

I looked through the options in the foundry editor, reading the terms and options. If something didn't make sense, I'd google it or look around on the sto foundry forums. Researching step-by-step worked out well.

Things in the foundry probably won't work how you expect them to. Possibilities will seem to be limited until you learn a few tricks. You have to get creative to pull off some more complicated scenes. There's so much to discuss that it's hard to jump in.

However, feel free to send me mail in-game or message me via forums if you have any questions as you're working on your mission.
    AKA @contactpsi. Foundry Author of: "No Prize for Second Contact", "Welcome to the Milky Way", and "The Tyranny of Hope".
  • Options
    dawnpromisedawnpromise Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    For a really creative use of the Foundry Id suggest RogueEnterprise's First Cause Then Effect.

The foundry community is generally welcoming. It has a few antique sensibilities about things like women but its very slowly changing.

I'll be glad to help with any questions or playtests - being involved with other players gives an incredible insight into the foundry and what it can do. :)
    Stellarum, mea sunt
    The Stars are Mine.
  • Options
    It has a few antique sensibilities about things like women but its very slowly changing.

??

Some of the most engaging stories I have played in the Foundry are written by women. DC Fontana who was instrumental in Star Trek's success also wrote some of the best episodes of TOS...and is a woman.

I don't ever recall seeing a negative female bias here in the foundry community.
  • Options
    dawnpromisedawnpromise Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    Everyones experience is different and a few examples - good or bad - dont determine a group. Its why I quit authoring for a while. But things change just a bit more slowly sometimes.
    Stellarum, mea sunt
    The Stars are Mine.
  • Options
    trelliztrelliz Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I've thought about making some missions, mainly exploring stuff that happens ingame that aren't discussed properly. What are the consequences of captains fitting a load of borg, tholian, iconian, mirror universe, voth etc. equipment on the same ship? How does the Lobi Consortium get their hands on all these rare ships before the empires of the galaxy etc.
  • Options
    trelliz wrote: »
    I've thought about making some missions, mainly exploring stuff that happens ingame that aren't discussed properly. What are the consequences of captains fitting a load of borg, tholian, iconian, mirror universe, voth etc. equipment on the same ship? How does the Lobi Consortium get their hands on all these rare ships before the empires of the galaxy etc.

Those are great ideas to explore! :)
  • Options
    captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Since our StarbaseUGC site has been down awhile, I'd suggest going to YouTube and enter "STO Foundry Tutorials" in the search. Kirkfat and I made a series of Back to Basics tutorials that might help. I know I learned how to use Foundry watching his original ones. We made the new ones because of changes to the editor. You can also come by our chat anytime. The link is at StarbaseUGC even though the site is offline. There is usually someone there 24/7.
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg