test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Specialization Max on Tribble

ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
The latest update on Tribble has this change to Specialization Points:

'Boxes which award Specialization Points now require level 60 to open such as Weekly Featured Episode Reward Talentpoint Box or the Federation Tour of Duty Completion Box.
The Tour of Duty and promotional boxes automatically open to award their Specialization Points.

These now convert into Dilithium Ore when opened at the current Specialization Point cap.'

Complete reversal after the change made with the Japori mess after Delta Rising came out. No more banking of Spec Points, just more Dilithium into an overheated Dilithium Market.
'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
Judge Dan Haywood
'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
l don't know.
l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
Lt. Philip J. Minns

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Yo I think we had a blog about it.

Sad change. I suspect sto does quiet fine again when the DVS feel eager to pester players over XP progression. I could imagine they want to attach log in numbers with new releases over it. Hope they realize it will also hurt those numbers during times of no releases as we have another reason to simply log less then...
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

Sad change. I suspect sto does quiet fine again when the DVS feel eager to pester players over XP progression. I could imagine they want to attach log in numbers with new releases over it. Hope they realize it will also hurt those numbers during times of no releases as we have another reason to simply log less then...

I don't know if you realize the reason why they made this change.

When Specializations were introduced, everyone felt the need to max out their specializations as fast as they can. However the idea behind the specializations was to give the player a sense of progression past the point they could no longer earn skill points (now the space & ground points). Basically every time a player filled the XP bar, they'd earn 1 specialization point which they could then spend on either the Intelligence Primary, Pilot or Commando secondary specialization trees. Most people at the time wanted to blow through the points as fast as possible to get to the dil reward at the end which was supposed to be a reward for saying 'oh look, you maxed out your specialization trees! Have some dilithium for filling yoru XP bar!' When people took advantage of it, they removed it as well as cut the gain of XP that people were getting.

When they started offering spec points as FE weekly rewards and returned leveling to a better rate for XP gain, people were starting to find themselves banking extra points. I'm sure those with extra points filled out the Strategist tree quickly with extra points banked again because of the FE rewards. They want to stop people from being able to fill out the tree so quickly. They want you to spend time playing the game, not spend time trying to find a way to get the powers as fast as possible and as little effort as possible. As of right now I still don't have one tree maxed.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    As I understand, the banking was possible due to the extra sources of spec tokens - from giveaways, Admirality and what not.

But the normally gained spec points from levelling already were transmuted into Dilithium if you were at the cap.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    As I understand, the banking was possible due to the extra sources of spec tokens - from giveaways, Admirality and what not.

But the normally gained spec points from levelling already were transmuted into Dilithium if you were at the cap.

That and there already was a lvl 60 restriction on those "bonus" spec points from events & stuff.
  • Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    Yes, there was a blog about it a while ago. I don't see what the fuss is about since I already have several chars who have maxed out every spec and have plenty of spare points. As long as they're not taking those away all is fine.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    After you maxed out the trees, you could 'earn' some 7 - 10 Spec Points from normal progression for the 'bank'. Spec Points gained from C-Store Give-aways, the Weekly Featured Episode, and the Federation Tour-of-Duty Tier 10 Mission could also be banked.

Any Spec Points gained from normal progression other than specified above were lost. I have not received ANY Dilithium to compensate in those cases. I watch my Awards Notice above the Chat Window very diligently and see NOTHING listed there upon passing a Level.

I know full well why they are doing this, Geko and his da*n metrics said so. I have one Character out of 12 maxed and one that is maxed except for none in the Strategist Secondary. Others are pretty meh along with this. My normal goal in a Tree is to fill up all Points in a Secondary and 22 in a Primary on first pass (level to make Boff Skill Books).

As far as spending time playing the game, what the heck do you think I am doing. I play the game every day and not trying to 'game' the system. That is the normal specious argument Cryptic gives. Total BS. Like the laughable reason given to not provide the Dilithium Bonus on those Weekends to the Reputation Mark or Elite Mark Conversion Projects - 'to make those Projects valuable year round.'

C-Store Spec Point Give-aways auto opens really means a bait-and-switch. You give away Spec Points you give away Spec Points, not Dilithium. Let me store those boxes in Inventory or the Bank.

This is the same old same old that we have seen for Bonus Mark Weekends, Bonus Dilithium Weekends. The things they have removed from the Bonuses after specifically allowing them in earlier Blogs:

Reputation Tier 5 Dilithium and Mark Rewards
    Reputation Mark and Elite Mark Conversions
    Tropical Bird and Monkey Mark Rewards
    Daily Mark Bonus
    Event Mark Rewards
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

I don't know if you realize the reason why they made this change.

When Specializations were introduced, everyone felt the need to max out their specializations as fast as they can. However the idea behind the specializations was to give the player a sense of progression past the point they could no longer earn skill points (now the space & ground points). Basically every time a player filled the XP bar, they'd earn 1 specialization point which they could then spend on either the Intelligence Primary, Pilot or Commando secondary specialization trees. Most people at the time wanted to blow through the points as fast as possible to get to the dil reward at the end which was supposed to be a reward for saying 'oh look, you maxed out your specialization trees! Have some dilithium for filling yoru XP bar!' When people took advantage of it, they removed it as well as cut the gain of XP that people were getting.

When they started offering spec points as FE weekly rewards and returned leveling to a better rate for XP gain, people were starting to find themselves banking extra points. I'm sure those with extra points filled out the Strategist tree quickly with extra points banked again because of the FE rewards. They want to stop people from being able to fill out the tree so quickly. They want you to spend time playing the game, not spend time trying to find a way to get the powers as fast as possible and as little effort as possible. As of right now I still don't have one tree maxed.

That doesn't really work. As all you're debating is the time "when" the points are obtained. Banking extras doesn't change the fact that a grind through a level by "playing" the game (even though heh, it could just be grinding out Admiralty missions for XP, Dil, Crafting items) is still done. Whether they do the levels now, before a new tree comes out, or later after a new tree comes out, they still ground out the levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm really worried that I will open the game on the 7th and find all my extra spec points autoconverted for my convenience before I can spend them on the new spec. They appear to have said this isn't the case but I have almost no confidence this won't happen.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I'm really worried that I will open the game on the 7th and find all my extra spec points autoconverted for my convenience before I can spend them on the new spec. They appear to have said this isn't the case but I have almost no confidence this won't happen.

I'm sure the exchange rate will be fair and equitable.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]