What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CRYPTIC’S JACK EMMERT NOW HEADS UP DCUO AT DAYBREAK AUSTIN

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    So I wonder when/if They will announce his leaving here?
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    for some reason they decided to post an ULTRA high def picture of him on the announcement:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/welcome-jack-emmert.275243/

click on the picture and you'll see what i mean...
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The Massively article has a link to his Linkedin page https://www.linkedin.com/in/jackemmert and has him listed as:
    CEO
    Cryptic Studios
    March 2011 – Present (5 years 4 months)

The STO wiki http://sto.gamepedia.com/Cryptic_Studios#Cryptic_Associates Chief Executive Officer - Jack Emmert (indicating he's still there)

The CEO of Cryptic Studios just walked out on us and Cryptic didn't bother to tell the community? In the middle of an upcoming expansion and the celebration of Star Trek's 50th anniversary?

What the bloody hell?

Edit: He was also one of the co-founders of Cryptic Studios. :/
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

The CEO of Cryptic Studios just walked out on us and Cryptic didn't bother to tell the community? In the middle of an upcoming expansion and the celebration of Star Trek's 50th anniversary?

What the bloody hell?

He's a CEO not an active developer of STO, his choice to leave likely had little more impact on STO development than everyone taking a 1/2 day break for a "goodbye" party
  • Options

What the bloody hell?

He's a CEO not an active developer of STO, his choice to leave likely had little more impact on STO development than everyone taking a 1/2 day break for a "goodbye" party

Apparently he was one of the founders of Cryptic Studios. Here since the beginning.

The game is doomed.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    for some reason they decided to post an ULTRA high def picture of him on the announcement:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/welcome-jack-emmert.275243/

click on the picture and you'll see what i mean...

good god ... I can even see the tiny little scratches on the nose part of his glasses frames ... why would anyone post such a hi-res photo??
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    I thought Emmert was what "doomed" the game?

Y'all doomcriers need to coordinate here.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    I thought Emmert was what "doomed" the game?

Y'all doomcriers need to coordinate here.

OK.

The 50th anniversary is gonna be the last hurrah for STO and come January, maybe sooner, the game will be sunsetted?

No, wait. I forgot. I already died and I'm in hell. STO will live on for another 10 years. Ahhh TRIBBLE. :bawling:

From the sounds of things, he was working on Champions Online. So........CO is doomed?

Whatever. Not like we need him for anything anyway.
  • Options
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    So Jack's gonna play with supers again.
    Well DCUO can have him...

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    Meh, quit DCUO after Daybreak took over, they managed to turn the reasonably grindy [sic] parts of the game into a time gated non event, good luck to him joining a half sunk ship. Rats got out of there long ago...​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Meh, quit DCUO after Daybreak took over, they managed to turn the reasonably grindy [sic] parts of the game into a time gated non event, good luck to him joining a half sunk ship. Rats got out of there long ago...​​

tell that to the people buying buckets of replay badges
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    This game won't last 6 months after launch. Jack Emmert leaving is the writing on the wall.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Haven't we gone well past 6 months since launch?

Or am I missing a bit of /sarcasm there...
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »

B)

Yeah, you need your sarcasm detector recalibrated.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »

B)
    When Cryptic was thrown to the wolves by NCSoft and responded by producing Champions Online, many predicted the game's imminent demise - not that they aren't still doing that, but at the time it was apparently because they blamed Emmert for everything that was bad about CoH, and said he would taint the new game the same way. Then Emmert got shifted over to STO, and it was going to shut down in six months or less because he was so terrible.

So obviously, now that he's working on DCUO, it's going to die in six months too, right? :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Kind of wish he took Al Rivera (Captain Geko) with him, but I guess even the former SOE -- Daybreak has some standards. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    When Cryptic was thrown to the wolves by NCSoft and responded by producing Champions Online, many predicted the game's imminent demise - not that they aren't still doing that, but at the time it was apparently because they blamed Emmert for everything that was bad about CoH, and said he would taint the new game the same way. Then Emmert got shifted over to STO, and it was going to shut down in six months or less because he was so terrible.

So obviously, now that he's working on DCUO, it's going to die in six months too, right?
    :smile:

I would clarify that Jack Emmert really was everything bad about CoH. The game became infinitely better once he had no involvement with it.

^this.... and considering CO has been abandonware for years one could argue it already is dead :P
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »

So obviously, now that he's working on DCUO, it's going to die in six months too, right?
    :smile:

I would clarify that Jack Emmert really was everything bad about CoH. The game became infinitely better once he had no involvement with it.

^this.... and considering CO has been abandonware for years one could argue it already is dead :P

Didn't they recently have an expansion? I don't know if I'd call CO abandonware.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    "Expansion" might be a tad generous, but there have been new mechanics introduced - first the Villain Onslaught, in which you use a device that temporarily transforms you into one of three (so far) iconic CO supervillains and wreak havoc upon Millennium City (you get Villain Points for defeating heroes and UNTIL checkpoints, heroes get Hero Points for fighting against you, both can be exchanged for various goodies from the vendors); then upgraded Cosmic hunts (extending the power levels of Kigatilik, Teliosaurus, and Qwijibo so that they require up to 20 top-level heroes to defeat - they drop goodies when they fall); and most recently, the Nightmare Invasion event, in which portals to the Qliphothic Realm opened across the city and heroes had to fight to defeat the demons who emerged from them and close the portals again. There have been a couple of new Archetypes recently for the Silvers (the Rocker, using a guitar as a Heavy Weapon and with the option for sonic powers, and the Predator, a hunter along the lines of the Savage but less "rawr" and more sneaky), and hints at one or two more in the offing soon, and each AT introduced also includes new powers for Gold players to choose (looking forward to when Death Metal levels up far enough to add the Ultimate Power: Rocking Out).

So yeah, not exactly "abandonware" - there was a desert for a while, but then it started ramping up, and then Kaiserin got promoted from "fan who had built her own version of the Character Creator" to "Cryptic employee", and now it's looking pretty good.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png