test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How should film grain be implemented?.

jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
It seems to be important to people so a simple poll on the subject.

The optional choice means it should be an option in the settings.
Post edited by jtoon74 on

How should film grain be implemented?. 66 votes

Yes
12%
comrademocorealdarth5ava63nadiezjamidnightrider7neos472tacofangssirboulevardjst455 8 votes
No
12%
kirimuffinsarreouscaptainoblivouswhere2r1rickpaaadarkdamnaiththemetalratgravelynwolf 8 votes
Optional
75%
awlaforgethetaninees5001misterperseussfc#5932jonathanlonehawkcrypticarmsmanblitzy4rogue6800iamynaughtellyashtearpwstolemynameseriousdavedragnridrangrytargshantavilordreserei03claudiusdkmarkhawkmanskonn 50 votes

Comments

• Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Optional
    I went optional.
  • Options
    polstarukpolstaruk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Optional
    The question doesn't make sense with those responses.

Should film grain be implemented? Yes / No / Optional

Anything that happens, happens. Anything that in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen. Anything that in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
    It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order though.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    Optional
    Optional. If it doesn't fit, don't force it.

It makes perfect sense, for those who are in tune within and not without.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Optional
    Even though this is only live on tribble, posting this in general would have gotten more votes and therefore a better sample size
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Optional
    Even though this is only live on tribble, posting this in general would have gotten more votes and therefore a better sample size

Yes it would get a better sample size, but also a lot of people who have never seen it implemented here. So how would they know how to answer that?
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Optional

Yes it would get a better sample size, but also a lot of people who have never seen it implemented here. So how would they know how to answer that?

Include a screenshot?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Optional because it has been giving me a headache.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    No
    I voted no. It's something that no one I know* likes.
    However, I suppose some people out there might like it (lord knows how or why), so it should be at the very least a separate option, rather than lumped in with the post processing option.

*To clarify, I mean in RL.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Optional
    You would think they would have learned their lesson (about wholly unwanted graphical effects) with Champions On-Line. That game to the day had a 'comic book outline' effect (thankfully optional) that 99.99% of the playerbase turns off because they feel it looks terrible.

So, fast forward 5 years and they waste time adding another unwanted graphics effect to another one of their MMOs (probably because over lunch someone showed this and a Producer said - "Yeah, that looks cool...go with it" - not really taking into account that after maybe 10 minutes or less the novelty wears off and it makes the game look like c**p.

There's a reason CBS remastered TOS for Blu-Ray; because nobody really wants to own a copy that has the broadcast resolution of a 1960ies era TV set. I also don't think many want to play a Star Trek game that looks like it's being shown on a simulated 1960ies era TV set for long. (Of course I can only speak for myself, but if you look at even the small sampling the 'effect' doesn't appear to have that many 'must have' supporters.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Optional
    I voted optional for grain but not bad looking, i also think TOS Tellarite and Gorn skins should be optional in tailor.
    Update: Tellarites, and Andorians, already can be changed in tailor. I assume the same will be true for other Player species.
    Post edited by captkelly31#5645 on
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    No
    (Of course I can only speak for myself, but if you look at even the small sampling the 'effect' doesn't appear to have that many 'must have' supporters.)

And one of those who voted "yes" is Taco, who works on it so he might be slightly biased :P

I need a beer.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Optional
    Optional is always the best choice for these kinds of things.

For me personally I would like not to see it as it doesn't make sense, unless they want us to actually play the TV show. Then we should also have commercials and a doort somewhere that leads us to a break room with stage hands and other actors complaining about filming conditions.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Optional
    Frankly, I think the grain is part of The Original Series presentation. Demanding it is removed is kind of like insisting Odyssey uniforms are a tailor choice in the TOS sections of the game. But since it is such a discomfort for a vocal group, I go with optional.
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Optional
    Frankly, I think the grain is part of The Original Series presentation. Demanding it is removed is kind of like insisting Odyssey uniforms are a tailor choice in the TOS sections of the game. But since it is such a discomfort for a vocal group, I go with optional.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    It should be implemented the way the makers of the game choose.

YES/NO/OPTIONAL = NON SEQUITUR

ALWAYS ON/ALWAYS OFF/OPTIONAL = QED

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Optional
    The grain is a neat touch but ultimately it puts additional strain on pretty much everything to make sure the game look worse than it actually is. :|
    I don't think it's terrible and personally don't mind it much since it really isn't in many episodes but dedicating ressources for a visual downgrade is kinda odd even with the best intentions behind it.
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    No
    No. Never understood it. I can see using it for a specific scene or segment to get some intended effect, but otherwise? Let's just say that in games where's in on by default, one of the first things I do is turn it off.
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    Optional
    Some people like it, some people don't. That alone is reason enough to make an option.

And I'll say it for the zillionth time: Choice is good.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    No
    I voted for no bad graphics. My second choice would be optional, then I would choose to have a great looking picture.

I spent a lot of money for great graphics. Having the game look like a bad picture from a distant TV station doesn't make me all nostalgic. Neither does jagged aliasing.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Optional
    Seeing how the most recent version of TOS (the Remastered one) did away with it, I'd say make it optional at least.

Film grain that isn't real looks foggy as all hell and never added anything to any game I ever played.

The game Outlast had it and you couldn't turn it off completely, major annoyance. I really don't understand why in the age of crisp clear 4K video, someone thought that going back to pre-VHS visuals with no option to turn that off was a good thing...
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    Yes
    Tone it down. I like the immediate visual cue for being in the 23rd Century, but it's too much.

Also, I don't think it's film grain. I think it's snow... signal static, like trying to watch TV with a bad signal on an antenna.