test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why not have the miranda TOS variant instead as t1

Why do we get these new TOS variants when cryptic could have gone to the tech manuals and given us the TOS variants of the miranda / constitution / saladin / dreadnaughts etc. although i like the TOS ships they have done i think they could have been more iconic.

Comments

• jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Miranda was TMP and we aren't quite their yet. I think. Plus it was a more advanced ship than the Connie, not an heavy hitter necassarily but I understand it had newer technology, in WoK I presumed it was a science ship.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    Miranda was TMP and we aren't quite their yet. I think. Plus it was a more advanced ship than the Connie, not an heavy hitter necassarily but I understand it had newer technology, in WoK I presumed it was a science ship.

There's no reason to think it wasn't a refit job just like the Enterprise, and there've been plenty of fan made concept designs for a TOS Miranda:

GT1bj.jpg

fleett-wip0020-output.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    What should have been a T1 of what we got available would be the Daedalus class ship. That was built before the Constitution class.
  • norcaler2norcaler2 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Maybe the Miranda's the free T2 ship?
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited May 2016

There's no reason to think it wasn't a refit job just like the Enterprise, and there've been plenty of fan made concept designs for a TOS Miranda:

GT1bj.jpg

Ultimately it CBS's descision I guess, I was trying to remember if it was in Starfleet Command, In SC II I know one of the varients made an awsome Missile Boat.
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I'd pay good money for a TOS Miranda Class if they put it on the C-Store. Next to the Constitution, it's my favorite class of ship.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    From what I've seen in another thread, Cryptic was told by CBS that They could not use any of the designs from the Franz Joseph Tech Manual.
    (Yes, I'm PO'd about that)

But since the Miranda is a TWoK variant, I don't see any reason why They can't do a back-dated version.
    I'd buy it.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I think it's mainly a matter of them deciding to either make new stuff or use stuff seen on screen in TOS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    then i bet its because the rights to the tech manual remain with the writer and not CBS paramount, which is a shame i liked some of the old TOS variants like the through deck carrier.
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm thinking that if we get the TOS-Miranda, it will likely be a T2 ship..however, since we don't yet know what the additional ships are it could well be that the Miranda is one such vessel.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
    I don't actually think there ARE any level up ships in TOS era. It looks like you get dumped in 2409 around the time you get to level 10.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I don't actually think there ARE any level up ships in TOS era. It looks like you get dumped in 2409 around the time you get to level 10.

I doubt that. Legacy of Romulus went to level 20, so I'd guess we'll get at least 15 levels out of this. Not to mention new Temporal agent missions every so often as we level through the rest of the game, like they did with the Delta Recruit system - which the decks have compared this to.

I'm thinking that TOS characters will get 2409 era Fed ships as their level up ships.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tsrcenturustsrcenturus Member Posts: 37 Arc User

GT1bj.jpg

Ultimately it CBS's descision I guess, I was trying to remember if it was in Starfleet Command, In SC II I know one of the varients made an awsome Missile Boat.

That would be SFC2 and SFC Orion Pirates, especially Orion Pirates. Drones were heavily used as both offensive and defensive weapons in those games. But the stock models all had TMP refits, no TOS. Any TOS models that made it into the game were made by the various modders.

Centurus
    The Starfleet Renegades

"If you didn't get your ship from me, you probably didn't get the 100,000 light year warranty."
  • tsrcenturustsrcenturus Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    I agree, though, that there should have been a TOS variant of the Miranda. Would have been awesome. I do hope they make one, even if it's a C-Store item.
    Centurus
    The Starfleet Renegades

"If you didn't get your ship from me, you probably didn't get the 100,000 light year warranty."
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    CBS doesn't own the rights to the designs in the tech manuals.
  • cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    shame they didnt go the single nacelle route with the saladin :)