test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NPC mobs that aren't killed by space volumes, please.

Just what the title says.

I'd like the ability to require the player to wear an EV-suit and fight enemies who don't choke and die because they aren't wearing one.

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    You mean like for the fight scene in First Contact where they have to go out on Enterprise's hull?

Suggested workaround (since given Cryptic's track record it's at best 50/50 that we'll get that): Leave the space volume out and just ask the PC to wear an EV suit in dialogue. You can always change it later if we suddenly get this.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    This came up once on the Roundtable. I suggested starting out with a space volume to make sure the player puts on their EV suit, and then despawning it later without telling them. I bet 99 percent of players would just leave the suit on without ever checking whether they still needed it.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    solastriussolastrius Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    This came up once on the Roundtable. I suggested starting out with a space volume to make sure the player puts on their EV suit, and then despawning it later without telling them. I bet 99 percent of players would just leave the suit on without ever checking whether they still needed it.

That's actually a brilliant idea. I feel dumb for overlooking it now. Thank you.

• Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    it would be nice if at least tholians didnt, maybe breen but you would think armored EV suits would work :)
  • Options
    castsbugc wrote: »
    it would be nice if at least tholians didnt, maybe breen but you would think armored EV suits would work :)

Never mind the Breen and Tholians, Borg drones were shown on screen doing just fine completely unprotected in hard vacuum.
    https://youtu.be/D4QyCdRvXr4
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The Borg have something similar to the EV belts used in TAS. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    The Borg have something similar to the EV belts used in TAS. :p

I just figured that their cybernetics were sustaining and repairing their squishy bits. A near-skin-tight force field like we're shown in TNG couldn't hold enough air to last more than a few minutes, not unless the air was hyper-compressed (and that would cause other problems).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    They're Borg. I just figured they had some sort of implant to do the oxygen recycling.

Also... they kinda have skin-tight forcefields already. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg