test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain America: Civil War [SPOILERS/REVIEWS]

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
What did you guys think?

I'm gonna dive in, spoilers ahead... you've been warned. :tongue:

Overall, it was very good... but, again, Marvel movies suck at doing villains. And, again, like most other Marvel movies... they don't seem to need villains. The stories are that strong.

Very surprised no one bit it hard, in this one. I really thought Rhodey was actually going to die, even though they showed it in the trailer... but, nope. Cap, Bucky, Hawkeye, Rhodey... all made it. (Yes, Rhodes is now paralyzed, but they're already hinting that Stark-tech will allow him to walk again).

Spider-Man was good, and Aunt May was... too young, LOL.

Any other thoughts? :smile:
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg

Comments

• comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2016
    Meh, it kinda toook way to long to build up and there was not enough 'wow' action scenes, and it was way too predictable!

Still a great movie to watch tho... But when I almost fall asleep waiting for the action to start... well...

Some good scenes:
    Spidey during the airport confrontation.
    Ant-man going Gi'ant'-man during the airport confrontation.

Overall: Good to watch but it could've been better!
    Post edited by comrademoco on
    6tviTDx.png

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Overall, it was very good... but, again, Marvel movies suck at doing villains. And, again, like most other Marvel movies... they don't seem to need villains. The stories are that strong.

No they don't. Only Vanko and a Malaketh were miss-served due to developmental plots being cut. Killian was also just a lazy rehash of Stane but all others have served their roles in the narrative very well. Zemo was especially well done, a simple man out for revenge and wins. Correct, he wins, he tore apart the Avengers and won.
    Very surprised no one bit it hard, in this one. I really thought Rhodey was actually going to die, even though they showed it in the trailer... but, nope. Cap, Bucky, Hawkeye, Rhodey... all made it. (Yes, Rhodes is now paralyzed, but they're already hinting that Stark-tech will allow him to walk again).

Because the damage was all emotional. Only Spider-Man made it through the film unscathed. Every other character has been emotionally destroyed, that's far more effective than cheaply killing somebody off for drama (we all saw that coming Pietro, all of us).
    Spider-Man was good, and Aunt May was... too young, LOL.

She's in her 50s, Peter is 15, she's his aunt not his great-aunt, she's correctly aged.

It was a fantastic film, definitely in my top five (IM:I, CA:TWSA, CA:CW A:A, and GotG), but then again, I only don't like one MCU film (IM: III) so they're all my top five :D.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I enjoyed it and thought it was done pretty well. I kinda compare it to BvS, and everything that I think failed about BvS somehow worked here.

But it has flaws. I get that Tony Stark is basically suffering from PTSD and has several traumatic incidents in his life (death of parents, his capture by terrorists, betrayal by his best friend, being almost nuked and dying in space, responsible for Ultron, and on top of that he and his wife are takinga break), but the final fight just didn't feel quite right. It seems he was going too far, and should have given up earlier.

Maybe when I get the bluray and rewatch it, I'll reconsider this. The full realization of what kind of pressure Stark is under was something I had only after viewing the movie.

But I liked the villain. I was worried they would hsove in a final big fight against the super soldiers or something. That's pretty much what BvS did
    with Doomsday
    - a contextless villain that's just there to fight. But instead, the guy, even though he was some kind of Spec Ops battle ready potential combattant wasn't there for a fight. He was content on hurting his enemies emotionally. The real fight was between the people we care about.

Also, despite shoving in several superheroes as side characters (including introducing two characters), this all worked better and seemed to have more purpose then BvS.

The other flaw seems to be that Zemo's master plan is impossible to actually plan. It seems the final conflict could only happen in that form if just exactly the right things happened. Maybe he was a bit too lucky there. But then, we'll never see the alternate reality where things diverged from what we saw and what Zemo would have done then.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    artan42 wrote: »
    Because the damage was all emotional. Only Spider-Man made it through the film unscathed. Every other character has been emotionally destroyed, that's far more effective than cheaply killing somebody off for drama (we all saw that coming Pietro, all of us).

I'm not saying there needed to be a bloodbath, but Rhodey's death in particular would have had a tremendous impact on Stark.

It's not a deal-breaker, by any means... it would have been interesting to see, that all.

And, I'm glad they didn't kill off Zemo... maybe they can bring him back, post-Infinity. :smile:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I enjoyed it! Ant-Man and Winter Soldier are my favourites.

I'm glad they finally did a Spiderman who was a wise-cracking teen. But did anyone think of Wesley Crusher when he came on screen? Kind of whiny that kid. ;)

I think the villian was fine. He didn't go supervillian, but he was a resourceful man representing an idea and the idea is what breaks Iron and Cap apart in the end. I wanted to say the villain won in the end, but I guess I can't since Cap left Iron Man that BFF message at the end of the film.
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I can chime in on the general praise. I twas a good MCU movie and very entertaining, only had some minor inconsistencies here and there.
    What is Vision doing throughout the airport fight? He was completely cut away while all the others had at least some background shots pig-2.gif Also, the whole plot could have been averted by SIMPLY TALKING TO EACH OTHER. But well, it wouldn't have been a plot otherwise.
    ​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I can chime in on the general praise. I twas a good MCU movie and very entertaining, only had some minor inconsistencies here and there.
    What is Vision doing throughout the airport fight? He was completely cut away while all the others had at least some background shots pig-2.gif Also, the whole plot could have been averted by SIMPLY TALKING TO EACH OTHER. But well, it wouldn't have been a plot otherwise.

I belive Vision was only there for containment, to keep anybody from getting out of the airport whilst the rest of Stark's team arrested Rogers' team.
    I don't think talking would have helped all that much. I think that Zemo would have just released the footage of Barns killing Stark's parents at the point he released the confession about Barns not being behind the attack on the UN. All that would have changed is that there would have been more Avengers around as opposed to just Stark, Rogers, Barns, and T'Challa.

Also @angrytarg what was the title of the film in Germany? Because I'm sure the first two films had different titles there than they did here or in the US.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I belive Vision was only there for containment, to keep anybody from getting out of the airport whilst the rest of Stark's team arrested Rogers' team.
    I don't think talking would have helped all that much. I think that Zemo would have just released the footage of Barns killing Stark's parents at the point he released the confession about Barns not being behind the attack on the UN. All that would have changed is that there would have been more Avengers around as opposed to just Stark, Rogers, Barns, and T'Challa.

Also @angrytarg what was the title of the film in Germany? Because I'm sure the first two films had different titles there than they did here or in the US.

They could have at least kept Tony from snapping. Of course the plot works in a way, but on the other hoof I somehow feel it was a bit too constructed. The plan and motives of Zemo's were sound, but as mustrum pointed out it relied on a lot of lucky hits.

If possible I only watch the original versions, but they were released as "The first Avenger" and "The Return of the First Avenger". No mention of the Winter Soldier in the second one, I don't know what they changed for the first pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »

Also angrytarg what was the title of the film in Germany? Because I'm sure the first two films had different titles there than they did here or in the US.

They could have at least kept Tony from snapping. Of course the plot works in a way, but on the other hoof I somehow feel it was a bit too constructed. The plan and motives of Zemo's were sound, but as mustrum pointed out it relied on a lot of lucky hits.

If possible I only watch the original versions, but they were released as "The first Avenger" and "The Return of the First Avenger". No mention of the Winter Soldier in the second one, I don't know what they changed for the first pig-1.gif

Zemo's plan seemed to change later on in the film, so I suspect it was more his constant adaption rather than luck that it managed to work out. In general terms, all Zemo had to do was drive a wedge between Steve and Tony and they would do the rest of the tearing apart themselves.
    All Zemo needed was the footage of the murders and he could turn any situation into one where Steve would chose Bucky over Tony and where Tony would try and kill Bucky.​​

#TASforSTO

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, Zemo seemed to be watching everything from the sidelines and waiting to see what would happen before making his next move.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg