test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Priority One Podcast 268 | 100001100

winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
Greetings, Admirals! You’re listening to EPISODE 268 OF PRIORITY ONE PODCAST, your weekly report on all things Star Trek! Recorded LIVE on Thursday, April 28th, and available for download or streaming on Monday, May 2nd, 2016 at PriorityOnePodcast.com!

This week we Trek Out the latest production news from both the small screen series and Star Trek Beyond. In Star Trek Online News, we’ve got a big convention announcement, and a familiar face has turned up on Risa. On Screen, Cookie and Elijah meet the Bynars in the TNG episode 11001001. Later, Jayce delivers his latest Star Trek Literary Review in Trek Lit 101!

As usual, before we wrap up the show, we’ll open hailing frequencies for your incoming messages.

TOPICS DISCUSSED
Trek It Out Star Trek Online News Tracking the Devs On Screen

This week’s Community Questions:

If you could be cast in the new Star Trek TV series, who would you want to be?
From Star Trek Online news: What do you think Qwen will get up to on Risa this summer?
And from our On Screen segment: What punishment, if any, do you think the Binars deserve for stealing the ship?
And: what’s the significance of the episode’s title, 11001001?

Let us know YOUR thoughts on this week’s episode by commenting below!

BE SURE TO VISIT OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE PREMIER STAR TREK ONLINE PODCAST!

Priority One Productions is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well-known outlet for your work. If you have a skill that you believe could enhance our content, then send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by THIS LINK and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites! We’re on Facebook! Head over to WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/PRIORITYONEPODCAST and say, “Hi!” Or, Check us out on Twitter via @stopriorityone for show times and other cool stuff.

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below or CONTACT US via our handy web form! Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):
Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po268
iTunes: Priority One Podcast

SUBSCRIBE:
OUR RSS FEED

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE​​
Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast

Comments

• binar0nebinar0ne Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    RE: Significance of 11001001...

It's the names of the 4 Bynars who did the upgrades. "One Zero" and "Zero One" are the first 2 Bynars that are introduced. The next 2 Bynars are the ones that Riker interrupts with "I thought there were only 2 of you?". I don't think the next 2 had their names announced but they are listed in the end credits as "One One" and "Zero Zero".

Data mentions the access code would be "easy" such as a Name, they end up brute forcing the access which was their names: 11 00 10 01.

One thing that struck me about this episode was when Riker enters the access code and it does not work. Then Picard suggests they work in pairs as the Bynars do and then they were granted access. The Bynars only accounted for Riker to enter the access code, they would've been doomed had Picard not been on board.
  • tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    If you could be cast in the new Star Trek TV series, who would you want to be?
    You mean something besides my super awesome OP Mary Sue captain? Who has saved the Federation, nay, the GALAXY more times that can be counted? Who is best buds with Captains Kirk and Picard (even though it's never mentioned by anyone ever) and the secret crush of the likes of Uhura, Troi, Dax, even Seven of Nine (who as a Borg, can appreciate 'perfection' B) )? Fine. *Sulks in the corner in his homemade Captain uniform*

Going back to something a little more 'approachable', my aspirations can be summed up with one word: Redshirt. Pretty much anyone could be random crewman No. 1 standing in the hallways while the main characters walk and talk towards the turbolift, or a crowd person on the alien-of-the-week planet. All important, though always forgettable. But it takes a special person to be a Redshirt, that unfortunate person who meets an untimely, yet spectacular end. They could be that console technician who when the ship is attacked is blown clear across the room, or the one team member caught off-guard and phasered in the chest/mauled/hit by a foam boulder/transformed to salt rock/magicked to parts unknown by a mysterious assailant on an away mission. Even the guy who screams out, before keeling over from a strange disease striking the crew gets to have some fun in the spotlight. Dear Crewman Redshirt may be gone, but he will never be forgotten. :'(

From Star Trek Online news: What do you think Qwen will get up to on Risa this summer?
    Something nefarious and profit-motivated I'd guess. :p He'll likely have players gathering various rare artifacts from around the Risa social map, hidden throughout the jungles and caves; it'd be great if we have to go underwater to find some of these things (scuba diving PvE adventure!). We'll either be collecting tchotchkes for him, or buying them. Just don't bring him any horga'hns; you don't want him getting the wrong idea.

And from our On Screen segment: What punishment, if any, do you think the Binars deserve for stealing the ship?
    Well if I remember correctly, the Bynars are an entirely network-connected race, right? Kinda like the Borg, but small, pink, and cuddly. :) I don't think it's ever explicitly said that the Bynars are part of the Federation, they're just hired to work on their computers, so the worst thing that would probably happen to them as a whole is maybe Starfleet finds new tech support. Granted stealing a starship, let alone the Federation flagship, is probably not good, but I don't imagine that the Bynars as a whole would deserve a punishment for the actions for a few of them, especially considering the dire situation they were in.

As far as Bynars in STO, we actually do have the Bynars in-game...as Duty Officers. (Yay?) They're only available from the Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack, which are no longer available to buy in the C-Store, though there might be a few packs/Bynar DOffs still listed on the Exchange. I've also seen some nice player-made Alien gen Bridge Officer recreations of them, so the capability to have Bynars walking around does exist in Star Trek Online, it's just not front and center with the more iconic races.

OK, I actually Googled the answer to this (that's not cheating at all), and while the jury's still out on what it ultimately means, one of the more interesting answers I found is that "11001001" translates into the letter "I" in ASCII code. So that could be in reference to the possible near-sentience of the hologram Minuet, who immediately attracts the interest of Riker and even Season 1 Picard to a degree unlike any other hologram since; well, besides that other, more maniacal one.
    Some time later: Alright, some further searching shows that the "I" thing is actually incorrect; converting "11001001" would actually produce the character "É" (note the acute accent mark), which I don't think means anything. I like the other answer better though.

Other possible answers include the names of each of the four Bynar in sequence (maybe how they're arranged on the floor of the bridge?), or the name "Minuet" somehow converted into binary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    OK, I actually Googled the answer to this (that's not cheating at all), and while the jury's still out on what it ultimately means, one of the more interesting answers I found is that "11001001" translates into the letter "I" in ASCII code. So that could be in reference to the possible near-sentience of the hologram Minuet, who immediately attracts the interest of Riker and even Season 1 Picard to a degree unlike any other hologram since; well, besides that other, more maniacal one.
    Some time later: Alright, some further searching shows that the "I" thing is actually incorrect; converting "11001001" would actually produce the character "É" (note the acute accent mark), which I don't think means anything. I like the other answer better though.

It should be noted that in the context of software engineering, binary code is often read from right to left. This would mean that the title is properly understood as "10010011", whose decimal equivalent is...

...wait for it...

Its corresponding ASCII character is " (the double quotation mark), which I suppose kinda-sorta represents the Bynar unified-pair structure as well.
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    hmm cast in trek TV show.... I will be the phaser.... pew pew pew pew pew photontorpedo is bit tough
    Mzd8i1c.gif