What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please stop mentioning rank in VO'd missions

2»

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    each time the voice actor has to redo their lines, because the romulans are allied to both kdf and feds, it would mean that early missions you could be looking at 18 seperare pieces of dialogue to go with each rank and worse still, if there are additional triggers, then there could be even more additiona repeated lines.

for later missions it wont be as much, likely from 9-12 seperate voice overs.

these voice files can get real big on space taken up on a hard drive as it is, i doubt cryptic are willing to go this far just for a voice actor to mention your rank and i doubt the voice actors are willing to do this.

no its better off this way as there are significant benefits, less space taken up by voice files and overall resource expenditure is minimal.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I'm so glad I don't believe in this "immersion" thing..... all it seems to do, based on threads I've seen on various game forums, is mess up people's games when it's broken/ruined/etc.

(It's also kind of interesting to see people talk about immersion in MMOs with all the chat windows, silly player names, and extraneous UI, compared to when I saw people complaining that their Skyrim immersion was ruined because the game briefly stuck them in third person to sit in a chair or there dared to be any visible UI at all.)

Personally, the only time I noticed the whole mad-libs-style rank insertion was when it was especially silly - "Rear Admiral Lower Half" just completely clutters up dialogue. :D

especially since no one would EVER use the full rank, except in a ceremonial way. if one was to address a real admiral (or vice admiral) it would be Admiral, depending how casual the conversation is. Admiral Blake, may i present rear Admiral Irrova is perfectly acceptable and expected, but later "Admiral Irrova, would you like some tea?" would also be acceptable.
    Ditto with Lieutenant Commander we never said Lieutenant Commander we said Commander. ditto with Lieutenant Junior Grade. i imagine an air force/ army/marine type can attest the same with second/first lieutenants
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    But it's not breaking immersion that there are this many Dahar Masters and Fleet Admirals running around the universe nor that your DM/FA is repeatedly taking orders from and doing the menial work of low ranking Lieutenants?
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    especially since no one would EVER use the full rank, except in a ceremonial way. if one was to address a real admiral (or vice admiral) it would be Admiral, depending how casual the conversation is. Admiral Blake, may i present rear Admiral Irrova is perfectly acceptable and expected, but later "Admiral Irrova, would you like some tea?" would also be acceptable.
    Ditto with Lieutenant Commander we never said Lieutenant Commander we said Commander. ditto with Lieutenant Junior Grade. i imagine an air force/ army/marine type can attest the same with second/first lieutenants

Ex-USAF.

For us, it was much the same as the Navy's - "Lieutenant" for both 2nd and 1st Lt.s, "Coloniel" for both the O5 "Lieutenant Coloniel" and the O6 "Coloniel", and then the plethora of Generals fell under "General".

Though from what I remember, Casualness of the situation wasn't an issue. "Full rank" was to be used upon "first encounter", after that, for the remainder of the time, it was "shorthand".

Some officers requested full rank once a day, others after that initial introduction it was always "shorthand"... ("Coloniel Blank, Airman 'Dareau' reporting" every time I used to walk into an office ran by an O5 "Lt. Col."

The "exceptions" to this rule was when using rank, and only rank, to identify someone "The Lt. Col. told you to do this..." or when someone was in trouble... (or to minimize confusion when there were multiple higher officers of the same "shorthand", Lieutenants never complained...)

Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Edit: Actually was a bit too off topic. (Deleted)
    Post edited by equinox976 on
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    If I can take the time to save the entire galaxy then an NPC can take the time to refer to me as Fleet Admiral and not be lazy and try get away with Admiral.
    I forged each and every pip on my collar using gold extracted from the blood of the enemies of the Federation. Enough blood to have them mentioning every pip, not casually demote me to somebody who didn't single handedly end at least four wars.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!