test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How big is a warp core breach/singularity implosion?

brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
I used to do it fairly easily: make a ship explode and be out of its radius before the big bang happened. I fly a DHC build, so being close to the enemy's rear arc is an important way to improve the amount of damage I inflict; therefore, when the enemy ship is destroyed I am in close proximity. I have practice evading the breach, and until very recently respawning due to this was a rare event.

Now, last night, I must have respawned over twelve times in a single Na'kuhl Red Alert. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

So, how freaking big is that Na'khul breach? I know at times I have been farther than 5km from the exploding ship, and still got hammered.

Comments

• siliconpsychosiliconpsycho Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    Pilot tree is your friend
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Core explosions of ships are usually only very small in extend. Still I have the habit of slotting at least a bit of resistance against kinetic dmg because of those. This helps alot. One point in new skill tree should usually be enough though.

Oh, also note that with recent adjustment to tree you don’t have to stay that close to your targets anymore with cannons if you invest in the new sensor skill. The number of targets you can cover with the limited cannon arc should actually increase when you keep some distance. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    I used to do it fairly easily: make a ship explode and be out of its radius before the big bang happened. I fly a DHC build, so being close to the enemy's rear arc is an important way to improve the amount of damage I inflict; therefore, when the enemy ship is destroyed I am in close proximity. I have practice evading the breach, and until very recently respawning due to this was a rare event.

Now, last night, I must have respawned over twelve times in a single Na'kuhl Red Alert. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

So, how freaking big is that Na'khul breach? I know at times I have been farther than 5km from the exploding ship, and still got hammered.

There is a specialization skill that negates warp core breaches. That might be handy for yourself.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I am aware of the pilot spec trait. It's about twenty Specialization Points away. At my current rate of acquisition I should be there about next summer some time after the Lohunat Festival. I mean the summer of 2017.

I can't find any information on the radius of a warp core breach/singularity implosion, and I was hoping someone could point it out to me.
  • risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    Use brace for impact or learn how to turn around and get some distance when he explodes.
    Brace for impact has a cooldown timer that exceeds the lifespan of at least one spawn in the Na'kuhl R.A.

Turn and get some distance is good advice. How much distance is my question.
  • darthkirkdarthkirk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    in my experience, distance is 1 km plus or minus
  • darthkirkdarthkirk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    also invest in long range targeting skill for the ability to keep even more distance
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    If I think I'm too close to a ship about to go 'BOOM', I click on Evasive Maneuvers and zip happily away.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I can't find any information on the radius of a warp core breach/singularity implosion, and I was hoping someone could point it out to me.

Depends on the size of the ship but your minimum safe distance is 3km with 5km being optimal. I fly like I use cannons (sometimes I actually do..) due to 1 of my main damage ability's being limited in to 5km range.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Two Things:

1- Scratch the Paint is my absolute favorite ability in this game. Bar none. I can't even begin to sing its praises.
    2- I am lazy, so you know being able to no longer worry about stuff blowing up near me? OH Yeaaaaaaaah!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I've been playing a BoP since 2012 or so, and this issue is a new one for me. I'm finding things a bit different in the Na'kuhl R.A. than I have experienced before, and last night was particularly frustrating due to my inability to not be within the blast radius of exploding ships.

As an example: every time I engaged I attacked after another player ship had begun and I attacked on a flank. I attacked the Frigates out on the fringes of the spawn, and immediately upon popping the first one I found myself at the epicenter of several of those AoE attacks, requiring the use of Evasive Maneuvers to escape. Thereafter, the bulk of the spawn swarmed me, and even though I attempted to get out on the flanks of the mob, I quickly found myself at the center of a swarm of enemy ships. My teammates enthusiastically began to decimate the spawns, which had explosion radii of, in some cases, at least 5km. Add to that Na'kuhl torpedoes which are virtually untargetable within a mob due to the swarm of ships, (and tab targeting is worse due to the number of targets you must cycle through to get the right one,) and I found myself respawning. I would be at 100% health with full shields, then respawn.

If I have to remain at 10km to fight this enemy, my potential to do damage will be drastically reduced, and I do have the sensors skill which allows long range engagement. I have tried to remain at range, but not only is my damage about 10% of my potential, but I am swarmed by the mobs in any case, and find myself within a ball of enemy ships after my first attack. I have tried to 'hit and run' but in this case I spend more time out of combat than in it, and my teammates do all the fighting while I maneuver out in space far from the battle.

I need an option that does not require me to spend Specialization Points I do not have, or use powers which have long cooldowns preventing me from using them multiple times when the enemy explodes multiple times within my respawn radius.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I need an option that does not require me to spend Specialization Points I do not have, or use powers which have long cooldowns preventing me from using them multiple times when the enemy explodes multiple times within my respawn radius.

Probably I'd recommend a clicky power of some sort. Be it Brace for Impact, or A2SIF, or something that brings Damage Resistance with it so you don't blow up so easily.

There's some skills and traits too. Temporary hit points even?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    Try doing attack runs instead of sitting behind the target. Slow down on approach to allow weapons to fire long enough and full throttle when you're too close to get out, turn and begin the next run.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User

Probably I'd recommend a clicky power of some sort. Be it Brace for Impact, or A2SIF, or something that brings Damage Resistance with it so you don't blow up so easily.

There's some skills and traits too. Temporary hit points even?
    Yea..or maybe and Aux2Damp (doffed) for not only a minor speed /turn boost but the additional all energy and kenetic rez.
    Depending on how your speced in skill points you might only need 1 copy due cool down reductions (like Krenim boffs). A2D with a 20% cool down reduction is nearly 25 second (so 2 seconds of no a2d before its up again..)

Maybe adding the Kobali console for another emergency heal...(If you got the ship..) Tiz 1 option..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    I like living dangerously... I just keep on flying through, like in the shows/movies and a real hero ship does... :p
  • accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    I've noticed this from time to time (which I assume is a bug), but when I take an enemy ship out, my own ship explodes or takes damage from the warp core breach, BEFORE the enemy ship has even exploded.