Install Arc
Options

J'mpok dead, who'd be Chanecellor now?

dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
Wanted: Leader of the High Council

J'mpok dead, who'd be Chanecellor now? 89 votes

Worf
38%
alexraptorrreverandclintvengefuldjinnmorden613eldarion79neos472tousseaudragnridrjam3s1701tacofangsdaedalus304raifin1701claudiusdkconkav22peetapipmacvinceeverszanmeshmiirikstarswordcdjf021 34 votes
Me
13%
nightkendracounguisscarlingangrytarglomax6996tancrediivsnoggymack22tmassxparkerjacobgemnstarrthekodanarmada#7342voiddweller#2714 12 votes
You
1%
duncanidaho11 1 vote
They get assassinated too often to care.
11%
amosov78sophlogimokodachikunopatrickngoanazondathay8472sennahcheribmneme0sirmaydaytimonicus 10 votes
Whoever is currently the fattest Klingon.
35%
comrademocodaboholicdeokkentguljarolyreodredoriginalspockmustrumridcully0artan42kitsunesnouticonianstunebreakerspacehermitchookinkyle223catfeiqamarkhawkmantylermaxwellcrusader2007reynoldsxdgoobily 32 votes

Comments

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    S'Taass.

Unfortunately, Na'kuhl suck at assassinating people and thus, J'mpok has more time.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Okeg ;)
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    Worf
    Is he really dead? The story didn't elaborate, so I assume he lives.

What I wanna know is: Did the officer who jumped in front of the Federation president make it?
    She was soooooo bubbly enthusiastic.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    The Tellarite is dead. If Quinn is speaking the truth, that is.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    The Tellarite is dead. If Quinn is speaking the truth, that is.

Quinn also said we could trust Egg. I never ate one after that Undine birthday party of 2410.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Kagran

Because "Stupid is as stupid does"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    This^ He's never said to be dead in-game. So he wasn't fatally poisoned.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    admiraldunwalladmiraldunwall Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    First, spoilers...

Second, He isn't dead. He does the debriefing for KDF players.
    tumblr_n8bewt4QjC1qm2fu4o2_r1_400.gif
    "Polls are so annoying, let's make a poll to see who agrees!"
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    So many good options lol...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    J'mpok isn't dead, he is the one giving the KDF player the mission debriefing and rewards popup. It was some commander that got poisoned.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Or, he simply hit "F" to respawn.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Why? Why has no one caught on to this yet? A Klingon has not been at the head of the Empire since the Orion Slave girls.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    ktonof1aq wrote: »
    Why? Why has no one caught on to this yet? A Klingon has not been at the head of the Empire since the Orion Slave girls.

Haha. This ^

Actually my Orion character has a quote similar to this in their Bio - "Poor Klingons, they think they're still in charge..."
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Worf
    If J'mpok should happen to die let's have Worf again. Dorn will probably do the VO work for free.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    As others mentioned, he isnt dead and thanks to the story writing without a usual ending to tie off some of the strings, we have no way to know for sure what happened to J'mpok but clearly the end of the mission shows hes alive to give us a debrief.

there is no point in this thread or poll.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Don't think it was Jmpok, the klingon who got poisoned didn't have J'mpoks scare across his face.
    Still, The developers should really do facepalms that they didn't notice how similar in appearence the klingon and J'mpok had.
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Me
    Invalidate all votes by Federation players plz. thx.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Me
    Me, of course. I don't care if J'mpok still lives, I'll just bite his head off. The Empire is destined to be lead by a Targ pig-29.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    furlong359furlong359 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    i figure he will be brought back, time travel cures deaths pretty good. the poisoner was surprised that you were there.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    If J'mpok was killed, he'd be replaced by whose house wins the ensuing Klingon civil war. That's the tradtion, after all.

Oh, how badly we Klingons are misunderstood.

1) You don't kill a klingon with poison. You inconvenience him, you anger him, and you cause his family to gut yours like fish, but you don't kill him that way.

2) Klingon Civil Wars can be likened to a game of klin zah, where move and counter-move establish dominance and display strategic prowess. Actual fighting is only done when two or more opponents are in strategically equivalent positions, and the fighting determines who retains the position. Honor on both the winning and losing side is the key to such conflicts, not decimation of a force of warriors. After all, the idea is to lead the soldiers of the empire, not slaughter them and thus weaken the empire.

3) The tradition is to determine who is most fit to lead the Empire. The leader who uses skill in all aspects of war: diplomacy, preparedness, and execution, is the most fit to lead. When two equally powerful leaders stalemate one another's forces in the field, they break the stalemate through personal combat rather than through annihilating the troops, or devastating the world through use of major weaponry.

All that other stuff is Earther propaganda.
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Given that this has created a bit of confusion/discussion, I think we can probably expect that the next story blog we get will clear up this loose end, and confirm (with a bit of fancy flavour writing) that it was either some random Klingon dude that died, or that J'mpok simply "got better".
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    You
    J'mpok isn't dead, he is the one giving the KDF player the mission debriefing and rewards popup. It was some commander that got poisoned.

The intention was that it was J'mpok but there appears to be an error. A random Klingon Chancellor model was used during the cutscene but you'll note that in all the shots that pan the room J'mpok isn't there. Afterwards the correct J'mpok is on the floor being attended to.

He definitely didn't die but whether or not he was actually poisoned is technically unclear (I prefer to think of members of the High Council as STO redshirts. :P)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    S'taass does say the word 'chancellor' but I don't remember if she actually said that it was J'mpok who was poisoned or that she was talking to chancellor J'mpok.

I think she said 'Chancellor!' (after noticing that the person who has to be J'mpok then falls down to the floor) and then continues to accuse Jarok. I doubt S'taass would say 'chancellor' just to get J'mpok's attention if it wasn't him who was being poisoned. That would be unnecessary as the room wasn't that big and basically everyone must have been facing the poisoned Klingon who I assume to be J'mpok for this reason.

I'd have to play the episode again as I don't exactly remember what she says, but I think S'taass' lines contain enough information.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Me
    (...)
    I'd have to play the episode again as I don't exactly remember what she says, but I think S'taass' lines contain enough information.

I need to replay it, but isn't the line just "Bababa, pesky Romulans poisened the Chancellor! Bababa!"? I don't think there was any substantial information to it pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    brian334 wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    If J'mpok was killed, he'd be replaced by whose house wins the ensuing Klingon civil war. That's the tradtion, after all.

Oh, how badly we Klingons are misunderstood.

1) You don't kill a klingon with poison. You inconvenience him, you anger him, and you cause his family to gut yours like fish, but you don't kill him that way.

2) Klingon Civil Wars can be likened to a game of klin zah, where move and counter-move establish dominance and display strategic prowess. Actual fighting is only done when two or more opponents are in strategically equivalent positions, and the fighting determines who retains the position. Honor on both the winning and losing side is the key to such conflicts, not decimation of a force of warriors. After all, the idea is to lead the soldiers of the empire, not slaughter them and thus weaken the empire.

3) The tradition is to determine who is most fit to lead the Empire. The leader who uses skill in all aspects of war: diplomacy, preparedness, and execution, is the most fit to lead. When two equally powerful leaders stalemate one another's forces in the field, they break the stalemate through personal combat rather than through annihilating the troops, or devastating the world through use of major weaponry.

All that other stuff is Earther propaganda.

I like your style, but I have to disagree with 1) - Gowron's predecessor was poisoned and he never knew who did it from his two potential successors. No one was gutted like a fish. Though both were killed by Worf... ;)

I suppose if Picard is the Arbiter of Succession, Worf is the Executor. :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    You
    I think she said 'Chancellor!' (after noticing that the person who has to be J'mpok then falls down to the floor) and then continues to accuse Jarok. I doubt S'taass would say 'chancellor' just to get J'mpok's attention if it wasn't him who was being poisoned. That would be unnecessary as the room wasn't that big and basically everyone must have been facing the poisoned Klingon who I assume to be J'mpok for this reason.

Hence why I said the intention was J'mpok being poisoned. That said you can still argue about Chancellors versus High Chancellors and just what someone means by shouting out a title in the middle of a surprising situation.

Its definitely not the most likely possibility but considering that what's shown is J'mpok suddenly becoming a different person for the duration of one scene (and no one noticing that fact) you really have to put a discussion of the literal interpretation of events to one side and go with what you think works best (and while J'mpok is what cryptic wanted to go for, I personally like the scene where yet another member of the KDF high council goes down during an interrupted event that's supposed to bring the galaxy closer together. If there's an update to fix this cutscene I'd rather have it re-written that way, because apart from everything else it is quite funny.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    Not the first time a cutscene model is different from the in-game model. Have you guys ever looked carefully at Jarok's coat in-game and then in cutscenes?

Annoying, but unfortunately, not the last we'll see this.

Another thing that annoys me in the cutscene where J'mpok is poisoned is "where do these temporal agents in 29th century outfits come from and where are they before and after the cutscene?".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1