test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game balance: Getting better or getting worse?

13»

Comments

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Getting worse.
    Balance in this game is a joke. Frankly I'm surprised people still take the game seriously. It's like people forming organized clubs on discussing different ways to step on ants. :/
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    Getting worse.
    rajathomas wrote: »
    In fact I would prefer less balance. I hated it when they gave away the very well designed factional gear to all factions.

Since when did homogenisation have anything to do with balance? I can't like homogenisation either, I thought it was cool that each faction had it's own unique set.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    voiddweller#2714 voiddweller Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I'd say dps should be good from any career, but engi should be tougher, and sci should be good with mass healing or just healing others.
    Anyway, currently trinity is impossible, because there re-specs is not free and there is no alternate tree for tank/heal build if you need one. So either developers consider that, or leave it as it is. Remove dps from any career except tac, and you'll cripple them.
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    Neither way, particularly.
    Neither better nor worse. Something that was never balanced cannot turn better or worse.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    It's never been made clear to me what people mean by "balance" in STO when they complain about it.

I think everyone means different things when they talk about balance. Some mean the balance between the highest ranking DPS players and the average player, others are talking about players vs NPC's.

For me personally, I don't mind if other players are stronger. But there must be some balance between players and NPC's. What we're seeing now is a highly unbalanced game where even an average player can vaporise most stuff very easily even on advanced difficulty. Undoing some of the power creep that occured with the Skill revamp would be a good start.

Also, giving NPC's more abilities might help restore some of the balance between what we can do and what the average NPC can do.
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    Getting worse.
    It's never been made clear to me what people mean by "balance" in STO when they complain about it.

Balance would be multiple ways of completing objectives with each one being just as effective as the next, but since just doing more damage is more effective than anything else in pretty much any given situation there is no balance.
  • Options
    Getting worse.
    risian4 wrote: »

I think everyone means different things when they talk about balance. Some mean the balance between the highest ranking DPS players and the average player, others are talking about players vs NPC's.

For me personally, I don't mind if other players are stronger. But there must be some balance between players and NPC's. What we're seeing now is a highly unbalanced game where even an average player can vaporise most stuff very easily even on advanced difficulty. Undoing some of the power creep that occured with the Skill revamp would be a good start.

Also, giving NPC's more abilities might help restore some of the balance between what we can do and what the average NPC can do.

Aren't there already elite missions where the mobs have more health and are harder to kill?

More health =/= Harder to kill, just longer.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    squirrleytunicsquirrleytunic Member Posts: 89 Arc User

Aren't there already elite missions where the mobs have more health and are harder to kill?

What we have is a small handful that either can't really be called elite or just require very high dps and contain a timegate. They just nerfed the best one, making it trivial to complete now.

We have been asking for elite versions of popular queues for a long time now and would be very grateful if Cryptic would hook us up.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Getting worse.
    adamkafei wrote: »

I'd love to see the 'harder to kill' NPCs but not everyone agrees with me.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    Getting worse.
    kavase wrote: »
    adamkafei wrote: »

I'd love to see the 'harder to kill' NPCs but not everyone agrees with me.

Honestly, I think just giving NPCs similar HP to that of players along with EPtS1 and TT1 on global would help matters in that regard. Then give them some pressure damage rather than the laser pointer/death weapon of doom with no in the middle setting that they have now and finally to finish the job, remove their immunity to all things science (with the exception of CC which they are already, for the most part, not immune to).

That would make enemies several times harder to kill, while also making them laughably easy for pvp science to murder in their thousands... But as that accounts for 0.000000001% (probably) of the entire population of STO, I'm sure that's not an issue.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    voiddweller#2714 voiddweller Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2016

Well, having some enemies that require more "tactical" approach (like ha'kuhl) would be fun, but there is a long, multistage missions, adding a tricky enemies here will be a pain for players. There must be a definition between story content and content you expect a challenge from. That how it's done in other mmo's Right now playing story on "elite" is just a waste of time.

Post edited by voiddweller#2714 on
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Getting better.
    I don't PvP so I cant speak to that part of the balancing act, however I can say that since the Skill Revamp my characters seem much more evenly matched to the baddies. One in particular is my lvl 60 Klingon Delta toon that even with decent gear always seemed to have a hard time with the latest big bad. She is a science toon, so that's a bit tough on the Klingon side to start with, but after the revamp she seems to hold her own much better than before. I don't know if this is the type of " balance" people refer too, but to me it makes the game a bit more fun. I'm a DPS chaser, nor do I spend the time and resources to make my character kill things in 3 seconds, I like to actually FIGHT my enemies and, of course, WIN!
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    Getting worse.
    Wow you can tell how competent people are in this thread at space combat in STO just from the comments.

And yes I am a PvPer (since F2P). It improved my game play to the point that pre DR elite content was easy with blue gear.

Now you can just mash the spacebar with FAW and SPRD3 and stuff vaporises. They don't even fight back to a point where they are of any concern.

That's the problem. Not only that, sci control abilities can kill for some reason. Wanna know why? Because NPCs aren't competent enough for sci to counter as hard as it does in PvP. Sci is king there.
    Has been since pre DR, before things got wildly out of hand.
  • Options
    Getting worse.
    Wow you can tell how competent people are in this thread at space combat in STO just from the comments.

Should I feel as worried as I do about how you rate me? Just 'cause... I'm kinda worried.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Getting better.
    well, there are less "obvious" right and wrong ways to build things as before, thus there is a wider variety of viable builds. that's definitely an improvement.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Getting worse.
    I'd say dps should be good from any career, but engi should be tougher, and sci should be good with mass healing or just healing others.
    Anyway, currently trinity is impossible, because there re-specs is not free and there is no alternate tree for tank/heal build if you need one. So either developers consider that, or leave it as it is. Remove dps from any career except tac, and you'll cripple them.

The trinity has always been and still is in the game, people saying Cryptic abandoned it for the dps race while certainly correct also conveniently miss the point that players simply avoid playing the trinity way.

I see this happen every time i fight anything in a group setting, noone even attempts to let an engineer or a sci with threat stance engage before they do to build any hate at all, they just have to get lucky and get there first which usually doesn't happen, and it doesn't matter when the mob pops 10 seconds later anyway.

This is also assuming anyone who isn't grouped has any idea whos an engineer or a sci until they pop some skill that makes it obvious, and then their worried they will kill it before they do.

Yea theres no reason to heal dps rigs or tank for them when the mobs are dead anyway, however players still choose to play that way, noone forces them to make OP dps builds of any kind, and i have three tac builds that are guilty as sin of it, you go with the flow.

Threat, hate, enmity, whatever one wants to call it in sto and how Cryptic approached it was always the real issue before dps went so out of control it now doesn't matter.

It's every bit as much on the players shoulders as Cryptics concerning the loss of trinity play which largely never got established in this game anyway, and the race for deeps, and im no staunch fan of Cryptic by any means.

I have 2 engineers and 1 sci who can tank the galaxy, when there's anything left to tank, most of the time they wind up "tanking" warp core explosions.

Post edited by shurkhemolight on
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Ehhh FBP... *cries*
    Even it has been completely neutered.
    Once upon a time I had one of the best sci/sci FBP builds in the game.

Now the thought of all the hard counters to FBP makes me wanna throw up.

The dream really died when the Zahl trait emerged. But there's all kinds of other counter measures anyway.
    So basically, nowdays you have to be playing against complete noobs for fbp to have any effectiveness or any use whatsoever.
    Anyone using cannons and beams now in pvp (the minority) knows to take some precaution against it. By means of new fancy traits and immunities.
    Its an all kinetic/phys damage game.

I hate phys damage exploiters in pvp the most, because They Know apart from 1 measly trait that offers 10% phys resist, they can basically run rampant on the phys damage attacks with little to No consequences.
    Its probably the cheapest/no skill attack method ever.

Even more nauseating, fbp has become a thing in dps runs. :disappointed:
    Once upon a time, using fbp in pve was about as dumb as using as fbp in pvp nowdays.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg