test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shard Maintenance times

I'm hoping that for all of us 3rd shifters that maybe we can get a little consideration, I work all night and look forward to coming home in the morning, relaxing in front of my computer and playing some STO.........but wait the server's are down again for maintenance so I guess I won't be playing any STO again today!

Solution: mix it up a little, why is it necessary to do shard maintenance in the morning? why not in the afternoon once in a while, I can understand not doing it in the evening, due to the larger population, but come on give us 3rd shifters a break, there can't be that many people playing in the afternoon.

Please at least give it some thought

Comments

• Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    chahur wrote: »
    I'm hoping that for all of us 3rd shifters that maybe we can get a little consideration, I work all night and look forward to coming home in the morning, relaxing in front of my computer and playing some STO.........but wait the server's are down again for maintenance so I guess I won't be playing any STO again today!

Solution: mix it up a little, why is it necessary to do shard maintenance in the morning? why not in the afternoon once in a while, I can understand not doing it in the evening, due to the larger population, but come on give us 3rd shifters a break, there can't be that many people playing in the afternoon.

Please at least give it some thought

You assume perhaps that ONLY players in your home country are affected by this? - STO is a global game, we all use the same server, so your statement that there can't be many people playing in the afternoon is wildly inaccurate.

As things stand the current maintenance schedules actually impacts on the least amount of players - it starts early afternoon GMT and ends before the evening build-up for most of Europe. Most of the downtime takes place when the player population is minimal in Europe and the US - a situation that is artificially enhanced by the lack of population in the Atlantic Ocean.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    This topic has come up often. Cryptic has thought about it, and decided that this is the time they affect the least people, and can still deal with all potential issues (including organizing the work schedules of the people conducting he maintenance).
    Sure, it means that also the same people are affected all the time, but that's still the least amount of people affected.

Changing the patch time is likely to affect even more people with it, and makes it harder to schedule for everyone - even players. As European player, I know that I can expect not being able to play STO on Thursday afternoons and early Thursday evenings (which, due to other "entertainment" commitments, I often can't play at all.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    *sigh* this subject seriously needs to be banned from the forums.....
    Getting so tired of seeing it come up EVERY WEEK for the past 6 YEARS!
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    xebovxebov Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    chahur wrote: »
    Solution: mix it up a little, why is it necessary to do shard maintenance in the morning? why not in the afternoon

Central Europe is allready in summertime, wich means the current serverdown takes place from 4 pm to 6:30 pm (cest). Needless to say that a shifting of several hours would make it absolutely impossible for EU players to play at all. Last weeks big maintanance for example made it completely impossible for EU players to play at all.

Since all players share one big servers there is allways someone getting the short end of the stick, but like otehrs said, the current used window effects the least players possible.

I cant blame ppl, 3 downtimes in a row is bad and its questionable iof it is realy neccessary.

And to our Australian friend with the popcorn, greetings from Europe ;)
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    The world is a globe that rotates as it orbits the sun.

During this orbital rotation light falls upon different parts of the world during different time zones:

SunlightAnimation_Day.gif
    As you can see no matter when maintenance is undertaken somebody will be affected.
  • Options
    bigsarg#1025 bigsarg Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Honestly I did even realize that there was only one server until it was mentioned here, so I guess it makes sense as much as I hate to admit it, lol.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User

Your comment with your avatar. OMG what a perfect match, looks like a perfect eye roll while you say that.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    GET THE TORCHES, HE'S DOING SCIENCE!!!

Flaming Torches .... toasted marshmallow anyone?