test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

D'Kora and EC

antonio#4298 antonio Member Posts: 40 Arc User
I have made a Ferengi character and have all-Ferengi Boffs, and I would like a lot to get D'Kora marauder. If I am not mistaken, there are 2 ways of getting that ship: from a ferengi lockbox or for EC on exchange. The first way seems not to be worth it, because chance to get a D'Kora from lockbox is 0.37%, which means that on more or less 250 ferengi lockboxes comes 1 D'Kora, and even if I would buy 250 keys (which is absolutely too expensive and investing in it would mean that I am either mentally ill or extremely rich (which I am not)), it still doesn't mean that I would get lucky (ofc, I may get lucky and get the ship even if I try 10 boxes, but it's a lottery). So, 2nd option seems more realistic, BUT... D'Kora on exchange costs more than 500 million EC, and I have no idea how to collect so much of it. Does anyone have a recipe how to earn so many EC?

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    You could try collecting it by buying Master Keys and selling them on the Exchange. That is very likely to be more efficient then opening them. (Also check the Fleet Modules and Upgrade Tokens, whatever gives you more EC per Zen).

Actually earning that much money with EC granting activities will take a very long time. The Admiralty system is one source of additional EC, so you should check that out.

Most likely however, you will need to engage the Exchange in some way - maybe sell crafting materials or crafted gear.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,613 Arc User
    If you buy keys now at 15% off and hold them for a little while the price should rise a bit above the current 4.4 million EC per key, at least back up to 4.5 - 4.6 million.

You can sell keys in blocks of 10, but be very careful doing that not to accidentally price the keys at 4.x million TOTAL instead of per key! A mistake like that will be grabbed in seconds by another player.

You'll have to spend around $110 to get the D'Kora that way, but the chance is 100% instead of a gamble.

• antonio#4298 antonio Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    For selling keys, I need to invest real life money. And if we consider that 1 key on the exchange costs around 4-5 millions, it means that I have to sell 100 or more keys, which means investing more or less 100 bucks. And as rule of acquisition nr. 3 clearly says: "Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to" ;)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    Isn't the D'kora one of the ships which is only sold through trading channels since the price has risen beyond the upper limit of the exchange?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    (...)
    You'll have to spend around $110 to get the D'Kora that way, but the chance is 100% instead of a gamble.

Totally worth it pig-2.gif

@OP: If you aren't extremely lucky the D'Kora might be out of reach. If you happen to have a char who took part in the last summer event you can claim the Ferengi ship account wide. If not, that's also out of reach. You might want to hold your horses though as there might be another opportunity getting a Ferengi ship at some point in the future. But other than that you have to decide if hundreds of dollars just to get a theme character equipped with a T5 ship is worth it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Yes, waiting to see what the Summer event ship will be seems wise if you don't want to spend the $100+.

You can also start earning what EC and dil you can through Admiralty and other means. You can convert dil to EC by buying zen, then keys, then selling the keys for EC.
    Yeah, I get it... thank you all for advices. Well, it seems that in front of me is a looong period of collecting EC :)
    But when I think a bit, it's a bit nonsense, that you can buy Andorian ship for 3000 zen (if I remember well), and for Ferengi ship you need to invest fortune... They could be selling Ferengi ships in C-store just like all the other.
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    No no no, grind for dil, convert dil to zen, buy keys with zen, sell keys, and repeat
    Nope, CBS only lets them sell faction ships in the C-Store, and only to the proper faction. "Alien" ships must be kept "rare" by only selling them in lock boxes and the lobi store, as single-character unlocks.

Also, lock box key sales are a major part of the funding needed to kept this F2P game running.
    Also, instead of collecting EC you might want to collect keys instead until you have enough of them to sell for the ship.

EC and dil are subject to inflation, while keys are inflation-proof.
    No no no, grind for dil, convert dil to zen, buy keys with zen, sell keys, and repeat

And what's the best way to grind dil? Because you need really a lot of dilithium to buy zen, and it seems to me that EC is much easier to obtain than dil.

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User

And what's the best way to grind dil? Because you need really a lot of dilithium to buy zen, and it seems to me that EC is much easier to obtain than dil.

Lots of characters, preferably KDF or KDF-Allied Romulans, turn in Contraband every few hours for 2k Dil per char. The 8000 Refine limit is per character, so put up your Dil on the Exchange for lower than the going rate (25 is the minimum), and then cancel the listing and retrieve the Dil on whichever char needs it or to re-pool when you hit the listing limit. KDF and -Allied Roms can get Contraband fairly easily in decently large numbers from running Marauding (always check your First Officer too), hence why they're recommended.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    The best way to grind Dil is to create a KDF captain.

The KDF have access to many Doff missions that rewards Dil and also Contraband. Contraband can be either sold on the Exchange (~42k EC each) or they can be used for a Doff mission by turning in 5 of them to a specific security officer for a 2,000 Dil reward.

The Doff missions that I run to get Dil are the various Forced Labor Requisition that can be found in most of the Federation controlled sectors in the Beta Quadrant. These missions take 4 prisoners and rewards 500 Dil if successful, 1500 Dil on critical success and 0 Dil when it fails. These missions are 8 hours long. A full brig of prisoners can reward 2,500 with a normal successes. These can be found in the "Current Map" or "Tactical" Boff. There are also Forced Labor Camp missions that take place in "Exploration Zones" like Delta Volanis Cluster and T'ong Nebula. They take 3 prisoners and reward 350 Dil on success and are 4 hours long. These missions will not appear until after you start the colonization mission chain missions (7 missions) in each of those zones. The last mission rewards a specific rare Doff and opens up the Colonization Support / Expansion mission that upon a critical success will reward a specific very rare Doff; these are repeatable.

Contraband can be obtained from "Raid" missions and "Disable Freighter" missions which are basically found in Federation controlled sectors. The various Raid missions are all 45 minutes long. The Disable Freighter missions are all 2 hours long and they can be found in the "Current Map" or "Marauder" Boff.

But, you still have a long road ahead if you want to make 500m EC...

Let's say you need to sell 110 master keys to earn 500m EC. That means you need to buy 11 Master Key 10-packs. When not on sale they cost 1125 Zen each or a total of 12,375 Zen or $123.75. When there is a 15% discount (like right now) they cost 956 Zen each or a total of 10,516 Zen or $105.16. Assuming the Dil to Zen rate is 320:1, that means when the Master Keys are not on sale you will need 3.96 million Dil. When Master Keys are on sale, then you will need a little more than 3.365 million Dil. That is quite a lot of Dil to obtain if you want to get enough Master Keys to convert to 500m EC without spending a single penny.

Assuming you are not part of a fleet (like me), then you are limited to refining 8k Dil per captain per day. If you are in a fleet, then it is possible to refine 8.5k Dil per captain in the fleet per day. However, I do not know what is involved other than the fleet you join must have a Fleet Dilithium Mine. Access to the mine could be restricted to members who have contributed enough provisions / fleet marks, dlithium, etc. to fleet projects. Thus some grinding is likely involved. Anyway... to refine 3.96 million Dil it will take 495 days to do so; 3.365 million Dil will take 421 days if you only have one captain. Naturally, that assumes you are able to get at least 8k raw Dil per day. If you had two captains that can each refine 8k Dil per day, then that drops down to 248 and 211 days; respectively. The more captains you have that can refine Dil, the less time it will take to make 500m EC by purchasing Master Keys and then putting them up for sale on the Exchange.

However, the more captains you have, the more time you need to devote to playing STO. You also need to devote a bit of time to your KDF captain before you are able to start grinding Doff missions for Dil and Contraband. I think access to Doff missions are locked until you advance to level 15. Then you need to acquire the right mix of Doffs to run various missions. That means either purchasing them from the Exchange or doing recruitment missions to get random Doffs. Either way, it will take a bit of effort before your KDF captain will be capable of bringing in sufficient Dil and Contraband on a consistent basis.

Post edited by jaguarskx on
    Jaguarskx, thank you very much for your explanation, it was very useful. According to everything said here, I came to the conclusion that it is not worth to try acquiring D'Kora by collecting dilithium and EC, because it takes too much time and effort, and time is money. When you mention things like 495 days of constant playing for it, I come to the conclusion that I could spend that time for much more useful things in life than buying a ship on computer game. To summarize it all, the best way to get D'Kora is to invest real life money, buy keys, sell them for EC, and buy the ship. If in future I will have enough money for that, I will do so, but as I am a student, it's not very likely, at least not in the nearest future. So I will give up right now, and just hope that maybe some event will occur which would allow me to achieve it the easier way.
    However, I noticed that for latinum, holographic projection of D'Kora can be bought (32000 latinum for one hour)... So far, it's obviously the closest I can get to this ship...
    @antonio Try looking on the exchange for the holoprojector. Those usually are rather cheap so you can save your time clicking on that dabo wheel. For my Deferi character I wanted the "transporter" projector to mimic Deferi ships. It's only 5000 latinum, but it was on the exchange for 20k EC - which is essentially one or two pieces of random loot worth. Maybe you are lucky as well.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    However, I noticed that for latinum, holographic projection of D'Kora can be bought (32000 latinum for one hour)... So far, it's obviously the closest I can get to this ship...

It's also worth noting that for last year's summer event Cryptic changed from their usual tradition of offering Risan vessels and created a new Ferengi Destroyer. That's unavailable to the OP now (as with all event ships) but this summer there's a reasonable hope that Cryptic could offer another Ferengi summer event ship (and let me stress that I'm not saying this WILL happen but only that it's a possibility to keep an eye on.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I would never buy a holoprojector off the Exchange, myself. I knew a guy who would buy a holoprojector from the latinum store, use it until it only had a couple of minutes of life remaining... and then sell it on the Exchange. (I don't know if this is still possible, but I'd still recommend buying a holoprojector new.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
    shevet wrote: »
    I would never buy a holoprojector off the Exchange, myself. I knew a guy who would buy a holoprojector from the latinum store, use it until it only had a couple of minutes of life remaining... and then sell it on the Exchange. (I don't know if this is still possible, but I'd still recommend buying a holoprojector new.)

I didn't know that was possible. Is there any way to tell how much time is left?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    OP, I feel your pain. Although I have no interest in playing a Ferengi character, I do want a Ferengi ship very badly for two reasons. One, the coolest thing about the Ferengi is their ships. Say what you want about the Ferengi (and I may even agree with you), but you have to admit, they have some cool looking ships. Perhaps not the best, but still pretty cool. Two, those bridge amenities! I would so love to have access to my own hub (mail, bank, exchange) on my own bridge. If they ever offer one of these as an event ship, I am clearing my schedule and chasing it like mad. Until then, I am going to do a combination of the above suggestions. I am going to farm EC and Dil, and buy keys. For every X amount of EC I save, I will also open one Ferengi lock box. (X is subject to whim, as long as I keep making a profit.) How many days until the summer event...?

PS, I still say they should put one on sale in the lobi store. That would make sense to me.
    I would so love to have access to my own hub (mail, bank, exchange) on my own bridge. If they ever offer one of these as an event ship, I am clearing my schedule and chasing it like mad.

Well, there was the Ferengi Nandi Warship from last year's Risa Summer Event. I have not flown one yet on any of my captains though. I believe this year's summer event will be another Ferengi ship. It should start during the beginning of June and end mid-July.
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    I've only been playing for a couple of months. I missed the Nandi. I also missed the winter event ship they just did. I am so looking forward to the summer event.
    The Summer Event is pretty fun since there are couple of activities do not exist outside of that event. Specifically, the surfboard race (which I have never done) and the use of a floater (jet pack). You can also build sandcastles... which is okay I suppose.

You will need to collect 1000 Lohlunat vouchers to claim the event ship. There will be a feature story mission that will award you with 400 vouchers the first time you play it (this is per captain). There is a daily obstacle course mission using a floater that you need to play to get 40 vouchers for each attempt. After 15 day you will have all the necessary vouchers to collect the event ship.

The daily obstacle course mission should take roughly 5 to 8 minutes to complete depending on the locations of the 3 random obstacle courses you need to fly though. I think there are a total of 6 different obstacle courses around the map. It also depends on the speed of your floater. You can either rent one for some EC which lasts for something like 10 minutes or collect trinkets from various summer activities to buy a standard, improved or superior floater of your own.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    The Summer Event is pretty fun since there are couple of activities do not exist outside of that event. Specifically, the surfboard race (which I have never done) and the use of a floater (jet pack). You can also build sandcastles... which is okay I suppose.

You will need to collect 1000 Lohlunat vouchers to claim the event ship. There will be a feature story mission that will award you with 400 vouchers the first time you play it (this is per captain). There is a daily obstacle course mission using a floater that you need to play to get 40 vouchers for each attempt. After 15 day you will have all the necessary vouchers to collect the event ship.

The daily obstacle course mission should take roughly 5 to 8 minutes to complete depending on the locations of the 3 random obstacle courses you need to fly though. I think there are a total of 6 different obstacle courses around the map. It also depends on the speed of your floater. You can either rent one for some EC which lasts for something like 10 minutes or collect trinkets from various summer activities to buy a standard, improved or superior floater of your own.

Your information is flawed. Only the anniversary events provide a 400-voucher reward for playing an FE.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    dalolorn wrote: »

Your information is flawed. Only the anniversary events provide a 400-voucher reward for playing an FE.

Ahhh... okay. Then it will take 25 days of doing the daily floater mission to get the event ship. That makes more sense since the event typically lasts for about 6 weeks or so.
  • imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    According to...uhh...certain websites, we already know that the summer event ship won't be Ferengi.
    What kind of ship then?
    look it up yourself.
    look it up yourself.

Ahh... You are not very friendly or helpful I see...

No matter, I don't really care what ship it is. I will only use it for the Admiralty System.
    4/1 Vorgon Escort (some say Carrier),