test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nicholas Meyer speaks! Interesting (but vague) hint about new series!

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
edited March 2016 in Ten Forward
http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/03/nicholas-meyer-says-2017-star-trek-show-will-go-in-a-different-direction-in-new-interview/

Obviously, the mention of The Undiscovered Country is quite interesting... But, as TrekCore points out, fans will likely read into that too much. Will this be set in the 60-year gap between TUC and TNG? My gut says no, but I could be wrong. I would more read that as the climate of the movie being used as a basis, not the plot or setting.
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Assuming the series isn't going to be set on Rura Penthe, I'd take it as meaning a 'political intrigue' show B)
  • Options
    Assuming the series isn't going to be set on Rura Penthe, I'd take it as meaning a 'political intrigue' show B)

Right... although, I also don't think it will ignore the whole "exploring strange new worlds" aspect of the Trek mythos, in favor of "West Wing In Space." The Undiscovered Country also dealt with Kirk's personal prejudice towards Klingons, and the general distrust felt between the Federation and the Empire. It was only when the overtures of peace began to be heard... then, they discovered the intrigue and conspiracy.

The "Abrams universe" offers that backdrop already, with the tensions between the Federation and the Klingons at high levels in the 2250s/2260s. The fact that Praxis is already gone in that universe, and the environmental issues that was going to cause already affected the Ketha Lowlands... this is one possibility.

The prime universe, obviously, also offers numerous opportunities. The Dominion, the Romulan refugees post-Hobus, the Cardassians... lots to go off of.

And THAT is just with stuff we already know about. They could totally go in another direction from these examples, to accomplish this goal.
  • Options
    mhall85 wrote: »

Right... although, I also don't think it will ignore the whole "exploring strange new worlds" aspect of the Trek mythos, in favor of "West Wing In Space." The Undiscovered Country also dealt with Kirk's personal prejudice towards Klingons, and the general distrust felt between the Federation and the Empire. It was only when the overtures of peace began to be heard... then, they discovered the intrigue and conspiracy.

The "Abrams universe" offers that backdrop already, with the tensions between the Federation and the Klingons at high levels in the 2250s/2260s. The fact that Praxis is already gone in that universe, and the environmental issues that was going to cause already affected the Ketha Lowlands... this is one possibility.

The prime universe, obviously, also offers numerous opportunities. The Dominion, the Romulan refugees post-Hobus, the Cardassians... lots to go off of.

And THAT is just with stuff we already know about. They could totally go in another direction from these examples, to accomplish this goal.
    A premise a bit like the begining of Space: Above and Beyond, would allow for both those aspects to be dealt with... As you say, so many possibilities regsrdless of which Verse it's set in (and I think a previous article on this said that it was going to be connected to the JJVerse...) Time will tell B)
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I don't think they said what universe it was going to be in
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I forget which thread it was in, but I'm sure I read that they said something like it was going to be connected...
  • Options
    I forget which thread it was in, but I'm sure I read that they said something like it was going to be connected...

I've been following this and I haven't seen anything for an official source saying which universe this would be set in.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Folks are still guessing.
    They haven't actually said Where or When yet.
    Even Meyers said that they have ideas but nothing definite yet.
    B)

Here's the actual article BTW:
    http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/star-trek/253329/exclusive-nicholas-meyer-says-new-star-trek-series-is-innovative-and-different
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options

I've been following this and I haven't seen anything for an official source saying which universe this would be set in.

Maybe not 100% Official Source, but this was the article I was thinking of... B)
  • Options

Maybe not 100% Official Source, but this was the article I was thinking of... B)

Yeah that's hardly 100% official...maybe not even 50%.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options

Yeah that's hardly 100% official...maybe not even 50%.
    I never said it was official, I said it was the article I was thinking of...

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I think it's very illogical to have it set between Kirk and Picard/Janeway/Sisko.

You'll want to have this captain do some great things, be important etc. Would be kind of strange that, in TNG, DS9 and VOY we never hear of this great captain. Unless they want to focus on De Soto, Ransom or the captain of the Saratoga or something.

I think the mention of The Undiscovered Country is a hint that it will be set at some point after Nemesis. Maybe dealing with the destruction of Romulus, so something similar to the destruction of Praxis, with the unification/allying of the Klingons, Federation and Romulans who together explore other parts of the Galaxy. It would give them more freedom than trying to put an entire new series between other esbablished sources of canon.
  • Options
    risian4 wrote: »
    I think it's very illogical to have it set between Kirk and Picard/Janeway/Sisko.

You'll want to have this captain do some great things, be important etc. Would be kind of strange that, in TNG, DS9 and VOY we never hear of this great captain. Unless they want to focus on De Soto, Ransom or the captain of the Saratoga or something.

I think the mention of The Undiscovered Country is a hint that it will be set at some point after Nemesis. Maybe dealing with the destruction of Romulus, so something similar to the destruction of Praxis, with the unification/allying of the Klingons, Federation and Romulans who together explore other parts of the Galaxy. It would give them more freedom than trying to put an entire new series between other esbablished sources of canon.

To be fair you really never hear about anyone else. Hell in TOS every other captain was incompetent. How often did TNG mention TOS?
    There is 70 years of blank space to draw on if they choose to do so.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

To be fair you really never hear about anyone else. Hell in TOS every other captain was incompetent. How often did TNG mention TOS?

'Defensive pattern Kirk Epsilon' (Nemesis). Then there's the entire movie Generations. Spock was quoted by Tuvok. Kirk was mentioned in Voyager by Captain Janeway. By Icheb as part of his history project. Plenty of occasions where the later generations had clearly heard about Kirk, knew him and his adventures.
    More generally, things like the Khitomer accords, diseases: all these things were referred to, some of them on mulitple occasions. And of course there's other cross overs between the series and movies too: Seven of Nine mentioning the events of First Contact etc. as well as the appearance of TNG crew members in DS9, TOS members in TNG and Voyager (I think Sulu appeared once?), DS9 and TNG members in VOY etc.

It doesn't really matter if it's 70 years, 10 years or 200 years of blank space imo. My point is, if something important happens in these 70 years because some new captain and his crew are doing stuff, it would be weird if, 70 years later, no one remembers or ever mentions these important events. And that we never see or hear these important persons in TNG/DS9/TOS.

The only way to overcome this problem would be to have it set in another timeline or simply by having these new characters do nothing of lasting importance / be part of important changes. The latter not being a very attractive solution of course.
  • Options
    Why would we hear about them? The Ent B was shown only in Generations and the only thing we know about that ship is Kirk died on it. Who knows what kinds of missions and adventures it had. More than likely they will go in the future but some of what we are seeing is very telling
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    B)

And Dorn admitted later at that same convention that he was pretty much blowin'-smoke-outta-his-butt and what he said was a complete guess on his part.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited March 2016

'Defensive pattern Kirk Epsilon' (Nemesis). Then there's the entire movie Generations. Spock was quoted by Tuvok. Kirk was mentioned in Voyager by Captain Janeway. By Icheb as part of his history project. Plenty of occasions where the later generations had clearly heard about Kirk, knew him and his adventures.
    More generally, things like the Khitomer accords, diseases: all these things were referred to, some of them on mulitple occasions. And of course there's other cross overs between the series and movies too: Seven of Nine mentioning the events of First Contact etc. as well as the appearance of TNG crew members in DS9, TOS members in TNG and Voyager (I think Sulu appeared once?), DS9 and TNG members in VOY etc.

It doesn't really matter if it's 70 years, 10 years or 200 years of blank space imo. My point is, if something important happens in these 70 years because some new captain and his crew are doing stuff, it would be weird if, 70 years later, no one remembers or ever mentions these important events. And that we never see or hear these important persons in TNG/DS9/TOS.

The only way to overcome this problem would be to have it set in another timeline or simply by having these new characters do nothing of lasting importance / be part of important changes. The latter not being a very attractive solution of course.

Sulu appeared in a 'brain-f*a*r*t-flashback' that Tuvok shared with Janeway.
    So technically he wasn't really on "Voyager" the ship, just the memory of him was.
    B)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Why would we hear about them? The Ent B was shown only in Generations and the only thing we know about that ship is Kirk died on it. Who knows what kinds of missions and adventures it had. More than likely they will go in the future but some of what we are seeing is very telling

Why we would hear about them? Well, if, for example, this new captain and his crew make some important discovery, or make first contact with an important new species. Or more generally speaking: if they want to have important events take place like the creation of an Alliance or the outbreak of civil war within the Federation, something important like that. Wouldn't it be strange that none of these events seemingly have any influence in the later series like TNG?

The fact that they're referring to the movie where important political changes took place (the signing of the Khitomer Accords) make it all the more likely that this new series will have some very important changes, story-wise, when compared to the other series. They'd only have room for such events if it doesn't contradict canon too much though. Which is why I think it's more likely that it's set after all establised canon.
  • Options

Sulu appeared in a 'brain-f*a*r*t-flashback' that Tuvok shared with Janeway.
    So technically he wasn't really on "Voyager" the ship, just the memory of him was.
    B)

Yeah ok, but still. Apparantly that memory was important enough ;)
  • Options
    B)

And Dorn admitted later at that same convention that he was pretty much blowin'-smoke-outta-his-butt and what he said was a complete guess on his part.
    B)
    Fair enough, fingers crossed for a PrimeVerse series them B)
  • Options

Why we would hear about them? Well, if, for example, this new captain and his crew make some important discovery, or make first contact with an important new species. Or more generally speaking: if they want to have important events take place like the creation of an Alliance or the outbreak of civil war within the Federation, something important like that. Wouldn't it be strange that none of these events seemingly have any influence in the later series like TNG?

The fact that they're referring to the movie where important political changes took place (the signing of the Khitomer Accords) make it all the more likely that this new series will have some very important changes, story-wise, when compared to the other series. They'd only have room for such events if it doesn't contradict canon too much though. Which is why I think it's more likely that it's set after all establised canon.
    But look at how often that happened with the arrival of ENTERPRISE?
    Personally, I think "Retconning", is part of the fun of any new series that comes along.

Just because we haven't heard about it yet, doesn't eliminate the probability of it happening.

LogicalMe_Art.jpg

• Options

I'm not taking it too literally as references to the Undiscovered Country itself without more information, it could be anything from a direct parallel, or relation to the specific events, to just a thematic similarity... I'm definitely feeling more secure about the series knowing that Meyer is involved B)
  • Options
    There's no reason why every Enterprise captain/crew has to be members of the "Everyone is awesome" club.

Yes, it's the flagship, and yes, they normally have "the best of the best" on their ships... but, to me, it's like US Presidents. What you do could be important, sure, but people only talk about Washington, Lincoln, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan, etc... you could throw in a few other names on that list, but there would be a ton that would be left off the list. That doesn't mean that their contributions are diminished, but they didn't "rise to the top."

I'm really hoping this series jumps ahead, in either Prime or Abrams universe... the creative staff is getting close to "do whatever you want, I'll watch," LOL... but, they aren't there yet. Prequel show seems too easy, and a little uncreative.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    mhall85 wrote: »
    There's no reason why every Enterprise captain/crew has to be members of the "Everyone is awesome" club.

Yes, it's the flagship, and yes, they normally have "the best of the best" on their ships... but, to me, it's like US Presidents. What you do could be important, sure, but people only talk about Washington, Lincoln, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan, etc... you could throw in a few other names on that list, but there would be a ton that would be left off the list. That doesn't mean that their contributions are diminished, but they didn't "rise to the top."

I'm really hoping this series jumps ahead, in either Prime or Abrams universe... the creative staff is getting close to "do whatever you want, I'll watch," LOL... but, they aren't there yet. Prequel show seems too easy, and a little uncreative.

I'm in agreement about treating the Enterprise crew like they are the most important people in the universe. In TOS the Enterprise was just one ship in the fleet, it wasn't a flagship and its mission wasn't considered particularly special in the grand scheme. That didn't stop them from having grand adventures and making a difference though. TNG on the other hand insisted on having a snobbish borderline aristocratic attitude in its early seasons with the Ent-D and crew being presented as if they were the most important things in the entire Federation. I've never liked that aspect of TNG, it just reeked of egotism and bloated self-importance.

Considering how long it has been since ST has been on TV it is almost guaranteed this show will be aboard some ship in the Enterprise line, hopefully they won't go overboard with it.

As for the setting there has been no concrete indications about anything regarding when or which universe it will be set in. I'm hoping that regardless of which universe they go with that it will be in the unknown future. I'm sad to say that I've lost my faith in their ability to handle prequels after the sloppy "make it up as we go" attitude they had with Enterprise. In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if they made this a reboot-universe version of TNG since that was ST at its peak.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User

You forget the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribbleations", as well. "Yes, we've heard of him. Seventeen separate violations." And of course Jadzia fangirling over Spock...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    jonsills wrote: »

You forget the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribbleations", as well. "Yes, we've heard of him. Seventeen separate violations." And of course Jadzia fangirling over Spock...

Sisko was also aware of Kirk's reputation as a Ladie's Man. Also, most importantly, even Da Sisko was a fanboy of Kirk in "Trials and Tribbleations" and got the man's autograph :D And one of the Temporal Agents said he would have caved in and did the same also.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    In a brief new interview with Den of Geek today, returning Star Trek favorite Nicholas Meyer spoke a bit about the upcoming 2017 Trek series, to which he will be joining showrunner Bryan Fuller as a writer and contributing producer.

About his role in the new show:

"I can’t tell you anything! I know things. But if I told you, I’d have to kill you.

If I’m lucky, I’ll get to write episodes. If I’m less lucky, I’ll just get to sit in that room with all those other clever people.... I’m waiting for them to tell me [when to go to work]!

I’m hoping the reason I was invited to do this was connected to — presumably — something I would have to offer. Whether that is the case, or whether it’s recognized when it happens remains to be seen. I’m not a silver bullet."

On the nature of the new series' story opportunities:

"I think it’s going to be a different 'Star Trek.' It will go in a different direction. And I think that is probably good.

Because the thing that mainly troubles me about 'Star Trek' is the fear of it being maybe re-treads of itself. And to the degree that I had any influence on the [franchise] at all was that at least while I was there, we were fooling around. And if you’re not fooling around, then things can become stale.

I think that Bryan [Fuller] — who is a very clever fellow — has ideas — some of which I’ve heard—that are innovative and different. Different is what got me interested.

Meyer did have one cryptic thing to say about the "taking-off point" of the new show's narrative, but he cautious about any specifics:

"The one thing I can relate to you is that 'The Undiscovered Country' — according to Bryan — is a real sort of taking off point, or touchstone for how I guess he’s thinking about the direction of the new show. I don’t want to be misquoted and I don’t want to misquote him, but he’s fond of that film. Let’s put it that way."

Of course, that last statement will surely set off an explosion of speculation and assumptions about the direction the new series may take -- anything from filling in the sixty years between Star Trek VI and the launch of the Enteprise-D in "Encounter at Farpoint" -- but Meyer was obviously being careful to stay ambiguous before anything solid has been set in place.

that in bold tells me that there is nothing going on here yet, basically stoking the flames for a new series to come yet. but it usually takes a number of months from filming, to the finished product, i would say that they may have started storywriting the first few episodes by now.

you know how forums get when someone starts flaming and starts fanning such flames. it can be contagious until something comes down hard on it. in this case i am waiting on the series producer to give a solid bit of info on the series. i do not expect anything solid until the 50th anni in september.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.